• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Door#3

Boater Safety Course

9 posts in this topic

When registering my boat this year I found that the State of NH is phasing in a requirment for all boat operators to have taken a boater safety course and passed a 50 question test.

They are doing it by age, youngest 1st. I don't need to do it until 2006 but my 17 year old son must do it right away. I'll just go with him to the course this year to get it out of the way.

Has anyone taken the NH course yet?

Are other states doing this?

To register call the Marine Patrol at (888) 254-2125

I don't know if other states are doing this but I think it is the right thing to do. There are too many people out on the water that do not know the rules and regulations. This can only help make it safer on the water.

That would be good to have a boating safety course for motor boaters. Sailers have to take two or three classes (navigational as well as boating safety) before they can get insurance or anything around New England. Maybe it will help to get rid of those weekend yahoos. Yes it should make boating a safer sport.

I really have to agree - there are too many people out there who go out to get sun and drunk - I mean seriously, I love to have a good time on the boat and fishing BUT I know when a designated boater is needed ---- we all should learn something about the proper rules for boating - mabe there would be less accidents. :(

I agree...

When I purchased my 1st boat I was clueless, and only learned the correct way to do things over time. After many years of boating I'm sure I still have much to learn.

We're taking the course in early March. I'll let you know how it goes...

I just completed the course last night. It consists of 7 hours of basic regulations and common sense material that is mostly focused on lake boating followed by a 50 question multiple choise test. I already knew most of the material but did pick up some new information. The test was pretty easy...

This is a good course for beginning boaters or those who just don't know the safety basics. It will make the water a safer place to be as more people take the course.

For more information...

Massachusette boaters to face fines if they are not certified to drive their boats on New Hampshire waterways.An online Internet course produced by the state of N. H. has been available since March 1. One advantage to the Web site, www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm, is that it includes sample questions from the state test.

I took the test 9 months ago, passed, and still have no card. I called them up to get a rude lady telling me that she figured that we would see our cards in August. The course is a good idea. It will ensure that boating will be there for future generations.