• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quantun IR420CX vs Abu Garcia 7000C3 Which one

#1 User is offline   AnthonyM 

• Schoolie
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2003 - 04:35 PM

OK this might not be the exact forum to post this in but I figured I would get the best feedback. Planning on buying a little beefier setup for inshore bass/blues/bottom. I am torn between the Quantum IR420CX or the Abu Garcia 7000C3.
They are about the same price and hold the same amount of line. What Rod would be best suited for one of these reels. My reasons for asking are that I am buying throught Bass Pro or Cabela's so I wont see what I am buying first

Thanks Anthony

#2 User is offline   onshore 

• "Friend of Surfcaster.com"
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2003 - 05:25 PM

Think about it.... Before you buy from a mail order firm, check out your local tackle shop and I don't mean Wallyworld. Two things you can't get by mail is local knowledge of what is the best product for what and where you want to fish and after-the-sale service.

You may pay a little more for the same thing, but you may not. If you buy locally, the value of your purchase is enhanced tremendously. And many of the better tackle shops do their own repair work.

I made a big mistake in buying a depth-finder a few years ago from Cabelas'. The price was great, until a year later when it was tied up for five weeks after being sent to oshkoshbegosh or some such gawdawful place for repairs. And that happened right at the height of the fall striper run. Never again.

Niether your post or profile says where you live, so no one can recommend a shop. If you want to post that information, I's sure that I or some other reader can point you toward a good shop.
Backagain

#3 User is offline   AnthonyM 

• Schoolie
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:22 PM

Bill Thanks for the info, I have been biying rods and reels from bass pro for years and never had a problem. I was just wondering the thoughts of the group on either one if these reels I have a Quantum IR410CX and love it I want to go a little bigger and not spend more than $125. I would love a Calcutta but just cant afford it right now. I live in Medford Mass Right now

Anthony

#4 User is offline   onshore 

• "Friend of Surfcaster.com"
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2003 - 10:45 PM

I don't own either as I use mostly conventional or fly reels.

You have some good saltwater tackle shops in your area. Suggest you check out Fishing FINatics in Everett, Sportsman's Den in Quincy, or Monahan's Marine in Weymouth. You will get good advice for the area and my be surprised at the prices.
Backagain

#5 User is offline   bboyd 

• Keeper
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2003 - 01:58 AM

Both are conventional and are pretty beefy reels. What do you plan on throwing with that combo? Chunks, plugs, eels?

You could also check out Pete's, Rocco's or Surfland. I think they may all be listed in the resource guide.

The other reason for buying year in local shop (assuming that they are competitive with pricing) is so there continues to be local shops.

#6 User is offline   SudsNSodaSports-Jason 

• Keeper
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:55 PM

Pete Santini, (Fishing Finatics) isn't far away from you. Why wouldn't you want to buy from him? I guarentee you this, he knows more about reels, and fishing in general than you, and more than you are going to find out from Mail Order Catalogs. Like I always say, you will have a problem sooner or later, and I'd rather be able to do a quick swap at a shop vs. shipping out to the manufacturer. And Besides, most places can always get you the reel you want. But the real good places have all the best reels you could ever want right there, because if the reel in question was such a great reel, they would have it. Besides, he will always be there to answer any of your questions, and help you out. Forget the Mail Order. Asking for Headache. Besides once you establish yourself as a good customer, that's when the better deals, and more info to benefit you comes along.

#7 User is offline   longshot 

• Schoolie
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:02 PM

I have an old 7000c3. I use it more than any other reel.In th seven or eight years I have had it it has messed up two or three times,always the level wind. Because conventional reels are more complicated they break more. I always have a spare in my glove box.Garcia has been marvelous about backing up their stuff. They sent me a new left side plate when the gear dog got loose, no charge. I can get any piece for this reel. even maroon side plates that were discontinued five years ago. If you are using fireline or other super lines you don't need a 7000. A 6500 will hold at least 200 yards of 30 lb fireline. The smaller spool has less mass to accelerate and will cast farther. I like the spool tension adjustment on the left side so I would suggest a rocket or a blue yonder rather than the 6500c3. If you like the smaller reel you already have, and don't use superline by all means go have it spooled with 30 lb fireline. The 20 seems to dig into itself especially on the smaller reels. remember first cast of the season to take it easy. I hate the smell of thumb smoke. sorry to rattle on so long .....Longshot

#8 User is offline   longshot 

• Schoolie
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2003 - 10:07 PM

As far as rods go, go get a Diawa Sealine x ten footer. for 60 or 70 bucks it casts as well as my st coix or ron arra of the same size. If you can deal with those black foam grips there is no better rod for 3 times the money........Longshot

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users