• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

Quonnie & Charlestown Breachway

10 posts in this topic

1st trip to the breachways this year.

Fished from about 2-4pm at Quonnie on the east jetty. Ran into a guy leaving saying blues were in earlier but all was quiet now. He was right. A few fishing the end of the jetty with various swimmers and spoons, but no fish. I used my new "SuperLure" Storm Swim Shad, but no luck. I decided to try Charlestown.

Got to Charlestown and fished the east jetty. We could see blues far out, but nothing close. I was able to get one striper about 25 on the shad casting into the rip and retrieving against the east rock wall. :D Fished till about 7:00pm.

Went back to Quonnie on my way home and ran into some guys who grabbed about 20 blues in the time I left to go to Chas'town. :( However, no stripers of any note. Guys on the west jetty were cathing stripers drifting what I think were (tough to tell from the distance) eels and plugs. They ware all under 28 though as they were all thrown back. Fished till about 9:00pm

Went back to Quonnie at 6:00am, bumped into a guy who fished all night. He said he had 3 stripers, no keepers. About dawn a huge school of blues showed up in the suds outside the breachway. If casting, you get to the end and look for the rock(s) in about the middle of the channel. Then find the rocks in the surf right in front of the jetty. You want to cast in between the two. If you are facing south I'd say you'd be casting at 1-2 o'clock. You want to get into a fairly large, flat, sudsy area. There must have been thousands of blues. Just about anything was working for the blues, and they are fun, but they aren't stripers. A guy next to me caught a blue that was about 30 inches!

They are hammering peanut bunker and are in and out (I was told) of the breachway all day.

Just bring some heavy gear for the rocks and the big, toothy blues.

Oh - and if someone is fighting a big fish - don't cast over them and chance fouling their line. A guy thought he had a nice striper (turned out to be a blue that didn't shake his head) and had a guy cast over him!! Just wait a minute for the person to get the fish in, you'll make more friends that way.

;)

Thanks for the report Charlie... the blues there have been quite large this season! I am surprised to hear that you didn't see any keepers caught. In the bunch of times I have fished there we always see at least one keeper and I have only seen one bass caught there that was not a keeper... my 25" ;) Could be the effects of Isabel...

How was the surf out there on the jetty? I'm thinking of heading down this weekend and I'm hoping to fish if the seas allow.

The surf was pretty amazing, but it was very fishable. Wear your foul weather gear if your expecting to cast from the point, otherwise bring a camera!

As for the stripers, I was surprised (disappointed) as well. There were stripers being caught until the monster blues showed up. I'm guessing the stripers were still there, but the blues were beating them to the lures.

There were lots of real big blues.

Those damn monster blues... the first couple and you're like "this is great... screw the bass" After 3 or 4 you start to think "hmmm, my arms kinda tired, I wonder if the bass will show soon?" After a couple of hours of non-stop blue action you are exhausted and angry that these eating machines wrecked your bass fishing trip ;) I guarantee you that there were bass around feeding on the same bunker, you just have to find them...

A little advice... when the blues are feeding out in the rip and they are hitting your plug on the drift, there is very little chance that the bass that are around will get a chance at your offering. Try 2 things: use a bucktail or deep swimmer and fish in close (say 30yds out in front or so) and start cranking as soon as the lure hits the water to get deep... or, fish the rocks to the left of the jetty with a swimmer/darter. A lot of times the bass will be pulled from deep in the breachway opening or from the rocks to the left, even when the blues are in feeding in full force.

Thanks for the tip. It's been a while since I fished there. (Has that stupid fence always been there?) I didn't have the point, so I was casting to the action I saw. I'll make a point to get a few casts into the left area. And you are correct, the first few get your blood going, then it's like picking which gear you want to clear out of your tackle box.

Oh, and for all the PI skunk sighters, all I saw were rabbits. Much cuter, way less stinky. ;)

Oh, and for all the PI skunk sighters, all I saw were rabbits. Much cuter, way less stinky.

Tastier too :blink:

Has that stupid fence always been there?)

As long as I have been going there. This time of year we just walk through the yards of the summer homes that are the closest to the base of the jetty. The residents are fairly tolerant during the summer as well.

thanks for the heads up, i havent been down there since april or may for schoolies.been getting the skunk for awhile now.oh well might be heading down there tom. afternoon. my friend wants to hit the bay area though.maybe i can change his mind. i like quonie. :blink:

Just checked the surf reports for the area thru tomorrow... rainy and 9-10' surf. I was going to head down this evening to fish the pm and am falling tides, but I may have to push it off till next weekend. Then I can head out to PI for the surfcaster.com event on Sun. am instead. Ahhh... so many decisions :blink:

Went to Quonnie... lots of weeds and big surf. Tough conditions, but managed to pick a few average size blues and stripers on Sat. early am. Plenty of bait around, both bunker and mullet. I'll be heading back down in a couple weeks when the sea calms and things heat up a bit more.