• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

Quonnie Report

6 posts in this topic

Last night at Quonnie is why I fish for stripers.

Arrived at 8:00pm with only 1 angler on the rocks (Alex) fighting a nice fish. I tried an eel, no luck and he suggested anything that floats. Just cast into the current until about 1/2 your spool is out, then just jig a little and wait.

Seeing he just landed a 32 incher, I followed his advice -

EVERY cast was a BIG fish. Alex landed another two while I lost two poppers and ended up with a rat's nest on my reel which I had to clean. He had just landed his 6th keeper.

I tied on a wire leader, cursed, cast, and waited - BANG. 10 minutes later I landed a 38 inch striper (after nearly killing myself on the alge covered rocks). B) After I put the fish next to my gear and re-cast, BANG, 10 minutes later a nice 32 incher. :D

The funniest thing must have been the guys on the other jetty watching us. The rocks were so slipperly, each time we had a fish we'd sit on the rock and slide down to the water's edge fighitng the fish. Much safer, but we must have looked like a couple of real kooks. Besides, we became real wet and covered in green/brown/yellow alge. :P

This continued for two hours. Why only 2 hours? Well, after two hours I lost my last floating plug on another fish, I had landed 5 keepers and 1 30 inch blue, and managed to break my pole. :)

I actually broke my pole on the first fish I landed, but I decided it was either go home with my tail between my legs or fish with a broken pole (2 of the 9 feet snapped off). It was only after I lost my last floating lure and all attempts with Storm Shad came up empty did I decided to take my two I kept and head home.

The smallest fish taken that night was the 30 inch blue, which fought like you wouldn't believe.

While scared, alge covered, and bruised from the rocks, last night was completely awesome!

Great report Charlie... I had the same type of trip down there last Sat. am. 38" is a solid fish, good job. We got into the biggest fish at dawn when we switched from swimmers to poppers, and the bass were killing my Gibbs pencil.

Well, after two hours I lost my last floating plug on another fish

Were the blues biting you off or were fish breaking you off during the fight? After some trial and error, I finally found a line setup that both casts well and holds up to the beating it takes down there. I wind the spool with 30# Fireline and tie on 80# mono leaders. I haven't had a fish break me off yet, and only 1 blue has bit me off. It took a big blue to get through that leader... that night they were all 15#+.

I actually broke my pole on the first fish I landed, but I decided it was either go home with my tail between my legs or fish with a broken pole

Funny, I broke my new Lami pole that night, not to mention my a%$, before I even took my first cast. I didn't even catch a keeper on it yet B) It was slick and foggy, and I mis-stepped about half-way out after just passing some guy with a light on. Thankfully I brought a backup, and I was back out there a half hour later.

sounds like some good action down there i might take a ride down there

sunday if the rain stops in the morning

thanx for the reports

bob B)

Were the blues biting you off or were fish breaking you off during the fight?

Both. My first few casts I'd have a fish and lose the gear. I wised up and put a wire leader on my 20# mono. From there, I lost the rest -I'm guessing - on the rocks, but not right away. I'd land a few fish, and then while fighting another I'd lose the gear. I tried checking the line each time and re-tied when I found fraying (from either rocks or blues popping the line as it spooled out).

I had Stren briaded on this setup, but it kept twisiting on the casts. Serves me right for buying anything but my fav, Spiderwire.

Funny, I broke my new Lami pole that night, not to mention my a%$, before I even took my first cast.

While I did fall before my pole broke (which may have weakened it) it broke as I had the fish at the edge of the rocks/surf. I was really pissed 'cause there is no way that pole should have broke with the stress it was under. Yet it gave me a great reason to buy a new one. (Funny how Striper fillets get the checkbook opened) I can't wait to try it out - a 9 ft St. Croix!! B)

sounds like some good action down there i might take a ride down there

sunday if the rain stops in the morning

thanx for the reports

bob  B)

Bob -

MidnightSurf may have some additional tips, but to fish either Quonnie or Charlestown you want the outgoing tide so you can drift your plug way out (about 1/2 your spool) and just jig it a little 'till you get a hit. Looking at the Westerly table, I'd say from about 7:00am-1:00pm Sunday morning will get you to the fish. Not the best light conditions for stripers, so you may hit lots of blues - but darn are they big and strong down there.

It's possible to get the fish anytime, but my best action has always been toward the end of the ebbing tide.

Good luck!! (and bring lots of plugs :D )

i didn't get a chance to go,due to this chest cold i some how got

but i will be

hopping to get down that way the end of the mouth

thanx for all the info,

bob B)