• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

Fall Stampede

10 posts in this topic

Wow.

Fished Quonnie from 5:00-8:30pm. Clear, windy, end of outgoing tide. There were only a few people there, I was the only one who fished after dark, and the stripers were everywhere.

Before sunset they were all in the 25-30 inch range, one guy got a keeper but the rest of us got the "just shorts" They were hitting poppers, swimmers, shad bodies, bucktail jigs. If you could toss it and jig it you caught a fish. I grabbed about 7, the total take from all the guys was in the 25 fish range.

Only a couple of blues!! That was good!!

After sunset the monsters came out. Drifting a plug and popping it now and again would ususally bring a moster hit. Samllest fish was 30 inches, grabbed a bunch in that range. Landed a nice 35 incher. Two real big ones got away! One popped the treble hook off the popper at the edge of the rocks. I didn't see that one 'cause it was dark, but it was heavier and fought way harder than the 35 incher. Another one grabbed my popper and it busted the 50 lb wire snap swivel. Oh well.

In all about 16 fish :lol:, but I lost 3 poppers, my flashlight, my hat, and my boga grip :lol:

Can anyone say "dinner"

:ph34r:

post-21-1066414459_thumb.jpg

nice charlie,

thanx for the report.i''d like to get down there some night after work

kinda far for me but if the fish are there i will be to.can you say sick day

bob :ph34r:

Stampede hehe. Another great Quonnie report. I def gotta get my ###### down there now.

I should also point out that big bass are not just coming from the jetty, which is a real health hazard in the dark without Korkers.

If you walk to the jetty and look to your left, you will see lots of rocks along the shore. Walk down the beach until you see a clearing, where the rock line (to breakwall the waves I bet) stops and a nice little cove exisits. Sandy bottom, sometimes some weeds, but lots of bunker hiding from the bass.

I have found that at the top of a dropping tide the bass will pin the bunker in that beach - to the point of bunker jumping onto the beach and hitting your feet. My blue/white Atom popper works best, but with some hits coming from both Hopkins and Storm. I have also found that after about 1/2 thru the tide the bass leave. There is an outer sandbar at the rock line and my guess is it is too shallow for the bass to risk getting trapped in the small pool that forms at the end of the ebb.

Sometimes the jetty gets crowded, and rather than wait in line I'll walk down the beach and see what's up.

Make sure you have your heavy gear and be ready for lots of rock rubbin'.

Good luck. It is worth the drive - and I'm guessing that Watch Hill, Weekapaug, and Charlestown are producing the same. They are all 15-20 minutes from each other by car.

nice report

road trip tomorrow

One tip - You want the outgoing for the jetty, and the tide runs a 2-3 hour delay from the ocean due to the saltwater pond the fills and empties. If it's incoming, the word is the boat ramp area is the place to be and watch the channel on your way by as fish have been seen breaking. I have always timed the outgoing, so I can't say whether the tip on the flood is good or just BS.

I'd say 4:30-10:30 am and pm look about right - but be ready for company. Weekapaug and Chas'town breachways would be good bets if Quonnie is too full.

thanks CharlieA im probably gonna be there about 5pm i have been thinking of trying there for a while after seeing all your great reports.

scoobe call my cell if u wanna go

Sorry buddy already booked for the canal tomorrow night. I hope you get some monstah stripahs! :ph34r: