• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/18 Quonnie report

50 posts in this topic

CharlieA's reports finally got to us... so me and Bigfoot headed down to Quonnie for a night of fishing the outgoing. Before the sun was even down there was already a line on the jetty and the rotation was in full effect. Not wanting to wait to fish, we set up on the rocks before the bend in the breachway. After a few hits, small fish, and some chomped off line due to blues... I landed this 33 incher with Bigfoot's help.

Some of the guys there were definitely on the snobby side... but some of them were also very cool in sharing their local knowledge with us. We even ran into a guy who started talking about this site and then I told him I was "Scoobe!" Whoever you are, you should post more!

CharlieA, we headed over to Weakapaug after the fishing died at Quonnie. We drove as far as we could and parked before it turned into a sand road. We walked down that road for a loooooooong time and then cut off to the right when we decided it was far enough. We ended up on a beach like the Refuge. How do you fish this area? So I guess you need a 4x4 to get all the way out to the end and fish the mouth?

I really do think my scales are busted. This fish weighed in at 9 pounds and 5 ounces... well short of the average of 15 pounds 8 ounces... and the minimum 13 pounds for this length. I gotta get me a new scale!

Great job Scoobe... that place is really gonna start heating up soon. There have been tons of bass from 32-36" there consistently since August. I was supposed to head down to the area for the weekend, but my friend who rents a house there ended up getting called in to work for the weekend. I ended up checking out Magnolia and Devereux... saw some decend blitzing 1/4 mi. off Magnolia but no shore action. Devereux looked promising, but I didn't get anything there either.

Next time you go, try one of the late night tides if possible. The crowds are much smaller on the jetty, and then you will be able to drift the rip. You will find much more action out on the jetty when the tide is going out.

Nice report. Weekapaug is like Quonnie, but less flow. You need to park on either side of the waterway and walk to the jetty. I don't have my book handy, but good dirx are in OnTheWater's Fishing New England, a Rhode Island Guide.

Glad you grabed a keepah! That little pool, I've been told, has produced some nice fish. I have to say, however, the real fun is on the ocean. If the jetty is too crowded or full on either snobbies or yahoos who cast over your line, you could try going to the end of the jetty then walking a short distance to the left on a nice beach. Fish between the two tall rocks that have a clear shot to the ocean. I've caught a bunch there. I also noticed that from official "low" to about 2 hours later is quiet as people don't come and many leave. However, the current will still pull your plug way out and it's just you and the fish! Just drift any floater about 1/2 your spool out, then just let it play in the rip.

I'm no expert on Quonnie, as I only fished it once last year, and maybe 6-10 times this year - but what others tell me is the spot where you caught a fish will get you some "strays" but not the big schools. Nothing like a 33 inch stray, but a little more walking would get you lots of 30's and a few real monsters.

As for me, it looks like I'm land-locked this week :ph34r:

Best of luck to all and Scoobe - Enjoy that fish!!

We wanted to fish the rips at the end of the jetty but just didn't want to wait in the rotation line. I did see 2 guys leave there with their limit of keepers, though.

If you are facing the ocean, I guess we were on the right side of the breachway at Weekapaug. How far do you have to walk down the sand path? We walked a good distance but it was tough going in the sand so we had to stop before we got to the jetty. How about the long sandy beach I mentioned? Are fish ever taken off of that?

Never tried. If you were on the right side of the breachway, I think that is Atlantic Beach, which is at least 3 miles to Watch Hill.

Is it possible you followed the signs to Weekapaug Beach? That would have put you right in the middle of a 2-3 mile beach with the West side of Quonnie at the eastern end of the beach, and Weekapaug Point at the Western end of the beach. I've heard (and read) of people taking stripers off of Weekapaug Point.

From the parking area, if I'm remembering the right spot, should have been easy access to the Breachway.

However, in the dark, in a new spot, I'm guessing it was pretty hard to tell where the heck you were.

My RI experince has been Quonnie, Charlestown this year, Both last year plus Point Judith, and all three breachways about 5 years ago.

Hope that helps.

In '04 I'm gonna try the West Wall. Been doing some reading and the story is stripers show up in April, and Bonito show up in September. That just leaves me Jan, Feb, and March to find stripers. Maybe a trip to the Chessapeake Bay???

Depends how much snow we get I guess. :ph34r:

Thanks... too bad it fought like a really, really big skate. The schoolie I caught before it was almost more fun.

Studying the maps... I think you are right about us ending up at Weekapaug Beach. How crazy would it be if we marched the whole way back down to Quonnie!

I hate when I do that. Try a new spot and end up in the wrong place!

FYI - Some info from Virginia (where my brother lives and the striper season is just starting)

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=58356&ran=220628 SALTWATER

Hampton Roads (1 on map): Striper season is off and running, with lots of fish being caught around the three bridge-tunnel spans.

Naturally, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is providing the best action.

Anglers are casting surface plugs around the span's islands early and late in the day and are experiencing fantastic topwater action. Others are dropping live spot and croaker over the tunnel tubes, where they are typically encountering bigger fish.

Most stripers are less than 10 pounds, but there have been plenty reported in the 30- to 40-inch range weighing considerably more.

Remember, anglers can keep two rockfish a day that each measure at least 18 inches.

Ocean fish must measure at least 28 inches.

Just think - all the fish from here will be there in a month or two!

So if the guy down there fish from shore the bass only have to be 18 inches to keep, but 28 if they are from a boat? Just image having a secondary home down there... you could catch "rockfish" all year round!

Scoping out a new place in daylight really helps. When we first got to Quonnie we went to the public parking but couldn't figure how to get to the jetty. We then backtracked and parked on the road somewhere, cut through some dunes and ended up on the beach east of the breachway. It was a decent walk, but we eventually found the jetty. Then it was another walk back to the car to move it back to the parking lot and we followed some guys through some property and along the water back to the jetty (the short way). :ph34r:

:ph34r: Hi all, I'm from Mass but would like to try out RI. Where is Quonnie? Is it near Quonset Airport? The only close name I can get from RI map is the airport. Thanks. :lol:

The best maps/directions come from either Diagnault's Striper Hot Spots or On the Water's Fishing New England:Rhode Island.

Basically, follow RT 1 south into Charlestown, RI. Take the West Beach Rd Exit and follow to the end (dumps you into a public parking lot)

Then, walk back up the road and cut through some private property to the breachway. A little risky, but there is one house for sale, and the one behind is boarded up.

An easier, and as productive, spot is the Charlestown Breachway. Follow RT 1 south to the exit for Charlestown Breachway. Follow the signs, but I'd do it the first time in daylight. You will also pass a B&T that can help with dirx, but it's very easy.

Follow to the end and you'll see a BIG parking lot, and public access to the beach and breachway. They also allow overnight camping/RV's.

If I were coming to a new spot, I'd probably try Chas'town Breachway first. You'll get fish and find it easier to get access.

Good luck!

:ph34r:Thanks CharlieA. Will try it out this week. How about the direction to Quonnie? Is it the jetty near the Quonset Airport? I got lost one time and went to there and caught bunch of cocktail blues. Thanks, :ph34r:

The above are dirx to Quonnie. It is in Charlestown. So, from Boston you get onto RT1 South and follow. You enter Charlestown, pass the signs for Charlestown Breachway, then look for the West Beach Rd exit. Follow to the end and walk thru the private property to get to the Breachway and beach to the west.

I'm not familliar with Quonset Airport. Go to MapQuest and do a seach on West Beach Rd, Charlestown, RI. It's pretty clear.

So if the guy down there fish from shore the bass only have to be 18 inches to keep, but 28 if they are from a boat?  Just image having a secondary home down there... you could catch "rockfish" all year round! 

Scoping out a new place in daylight really helps.  When we first got to Quonnie we went to the public parking but couldn't figure how to get to the jetty.  We then backtracked and parked on the road somewhere, cut through some dunes and ended up on the beach east of the breachway.  It was a decent walk, but we eventually found the jetty.  Then it was another walk back to the car to move it back to the parking lot and we followed some guys through some property and along the water back to the jetty (the short way). :ph34r:

That always burns me up, seeing 18inchers kept. And people wonder why we can't get hords of 30+ up here, well just look at all the 18's slaughtered in MD, VA, and NC. Basically, if you surfcast into the Bay/Inlets you can keep an 18, if you cast to the ocean it's 28.

I also speak to guys who catch freshwater stripers in KY. They like to tell me their stories of catching 10-15 fish all over 15 inches. I guess in a resevoir that's awesome action, but give me Fall blitzes, bunker jumping onto the beach rather than be eaten, and big fat 30+ inch stripers inhaling poppers as fast as you can cast them.

I guess that's why Mr. D calls this Striper Coast!

Quonnie = Quonochontaug in Charlestown RI

CharlieA's directions are right on. Type the monstrous name above into the search field of topozone.com and you will have all the location data you will ever need for the area. If you don't wanna fish shoulder to shoulder on the breachways, try the beaches from Pt. Judith to Watch Hill.

Hey Charlie, I heard there was a 52#er caught at Point Judith earlier this month... did you hear anything about that? I hope they'll cruise thru Charlestown soon. And btw, you may wanna check out the West Wall this year if ya know what I mean :ph34r:

I didn't hear that!! I have heard about some 40#ers, but nothing about a 50! Thanks for the tip on the Wall :ph34r: If I can stand passing Q on the way to get there, I may just do so. I'm also hearing reports - just reports no evidence - of bonito & little T in CT waters, so I may take the ultimate risk and try fishing in CT. I have to say my "reporter" has a spotty record of accuracy.

It's just tough to try a new spot when you have one that is PRODUCING!

Went back to Quonnie tonight. I got another 33 inch fish after like 30 minutes then I had to leave. But I checked back in before I left and they had caught some more fish. So the fish are definitely there... all in the 30 inch range it seems. Man it's a great fight when they are pulling in that rip!!! I was surprised that there were 10 people in the rotation on the Monday night, though. Don't any of these guys watch football?

I was surprised that there were 10 people in the rotation on the Monday night, though. Don't any of these guys watch football?

That's nothing... when there are bigger fish around, blues or bass, everyone and their mother (literally) will be on the breachway. If you can, try and get there during an "off-time" tide.

My favorite tide to fish there is when the high is at midnight-3am... even though the fishing is the best at this time, very few people can make it to fish thru the entire falling tide. My plan... late dinner and beers till 11pm, a large iced coffee on the way over, and I'm set till dawn. The hardest strikes I have ever had have all come during sunrise at Quonnie, when the blitzing bass hit my poppers like locomotives :(

If I can stand passing Q on the way to get there, I may just do so.

:D A tall task indeed. Even worse, I can't imagine passing the area on 95S and ending up in CT B) You are a brave man...

You guys ever fish the Weekapaug and Charlestown breachways? In Frank D's hot spots book he says the Charlestown needs to be dredged every so often (20 year cycle) and is only good after it has been dredge recently. Anyone know if Charlestown is producing and if it's been dredged lately?

Fished em' all Scoobe... my preference out of the three is obvious though :D

I'm not sure about the dredging situation at the Charlestown breachway, but it has produced for me in the past couple years. From what I hear, and somewhat believe, the biggest fish are usually taken from W and C breachways but Q offers a lot more action. That's why I fish Q... who the hell cares about 5 or 10# of weight when you catch enough 20#+ bass to make your arm fall off B)

First I'd say both will land you stripers.

Plugs - Anything that floats works. I've been getting great action on 1.5 and 2 oz Atom blue/white poppers, blue/white Danny's, and Pencil Poppers. I also grabbed a bunch on surface swimmers. I should say I have seen guys grab big fish on Hopkins, Storm Shad, and Bucktails.

The key to the Breachways is casting to the rip and then drifiting at least 1/2 spool out. Then, just pop your plug in the current. Obviously that doesn't work so well with sinking lures, which is why I like the floating plugs.

Eels. I have only fished eels once at Q, and I quit after another guy was getting a hit on each cast with a plug. There are a lot of nice rocks along the beach to the left of the breachway that will get you big stripers with eels.

If the breachway is crowded, I'd take an eel or my poppers and go down the beach a little until the breachway clears out.

If the breachway is clear, I'd try the poppers before I'd do the eels. You'll probably get more action and less hassel getting them rigged B)

I swear I have "fisher's elbow" from casting and landing fish this fall - but it's a great kind of pain.

Fishing elbow?

Thanks, Charlie. I hope that Scoobe would take me to rhody.

Small or big plugs? i got a yellow 1 1/2 oz a-salt, olive 1 3.8 oz mambo swimmer, blue/white atom popper w/ a bucktail treble, two homemade black plugs, 3.4 oz red/yellow tatttoo's darter, 1 oz silver chub creek popper, and 1 oz mack color gibbs pencil popper. are they sufficent?

Everything works. I found that the bigger the plug the fewer 20-25's you get, so I start with the biggest plug and once someone rips it off (or I lose in on the rocks) I go right down the line until I have nothing left. Maybe it's just me, but I lose LOTS of gear at Q and C. But hey, I'd lose a few $7.95 plugs to land a few 30inch stripers.

It seems like most of the guys are using big 7 inch floating minnows, some with teasers. I use a black 7 inch Mambo Minnow there at night. Most guys were using a heavy leader section as well. I didn't really think about that until landing my bass caused the first few feet of the line to get shredded on the rocks by my feet.