• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/18 Quonnie report

50 posts in this topic

Good point Scoobe. I switched to Spiderwire and 18-24 inch wire leaders after losing some stuff to big blues and sharp rocks.

Yea I am planning to make the switch to braids next season. For now I am content with finishing up with mono. Many of the Quonnie guys were fishing braids with the heavy mono leader. I guess it's much cheaper to replace a few feet of mono than cutting back on the braid!

Black mambo... an excellent choice Scoobe. I got my biggest fish in the rip there this year on one of those. Make sure you guys don't bring any expensive plugs or your "favorite" plug out there... it is only a matter of time. My Q-bag consists of several lower end plugs like bombers, mambos, a danny or 2, and 2 or 3 specialty plugs (poppers, darters). I tell you from experience, losing a brand new $15 darter on the first cast hurts... it hurts bad B)

Good luck this weekend guys... I may see you down there if things work out.

Midnite, when you headed down?

I'm thinking of going back Thurs morning to fish the am outgoing; maybe there will be less people than at night? You gonna be there Charlie?

Besides the get-together @ PI, so far I have fished with Bigfoot, Zippy, David S, and Ridler. Maybe I can add one of two of you guys to the list as well. It can't hurt to have too many fishing buddies. B) I am getting in all the fishing I can now, cuz I think I smell a job on the horizon... a good and a bad thing haha.

How can you guys do all this fishing during the week? I have to work, or I can't fish at all. Bait, gas,etc. take some cash. The people I work for wouldn't be too happy if I called in sick. How do you do it?

Midnite, when you headed down?

I'm thinking of going back Thurs morning to fish the am outgoing; maybe there will be less people than at night? You gonna be there Charlie?

Besides the get-together @ PI, so far I have fished with Bigfoot, Zippy, David S, and Ridler. Maybe I can add one of two of you guys to the list as well. It can't hurt to have too many fishing buddies. B) I am getting in all the fishing I can now, cuz I think I smell a job on the horizon... a good and a bad thing haha.

I may be able to get in some late Thurs/early Fri action. I will likely be there early next week (Mon/Tues).

I haven't seen the tides, but the earliest I could be at Q would be about 7:00pm and I'd have to leave by, say 9:00am

How can you guys do all this fishing during the week? I have to work, or I can't fish at all. Bait, gas,etc. take some cash. The people I work for wouldn't be too happy if I called in sick. How do you do it?

Depends on my schedule. I'm in sales, so I get to determine a lot of what and when I do stuff. The good news is I can find little blocks of time just about any day. The bad news is, New England includes lots of striper unfriendly areas like western Mass, VT, NH, and just about all of Maine.

So, I fish 'till I can't anymore, clean up, wash up, suit up, sell stuff, de-suit, and fish!!!

It's workin' for me now, but in the spring I was stuck in Caribou for three days when I knew PI was super hot.

Headed down Fri. after work for some dinner and bs... then it's all business the rest of the weekend. It would be great to see you guys and haul in some cows together... Surfcaster.com representing in Rhody. It would be cool to outnumber them locals B)

Sleep is over-rated... during spring and fall I fish, mate, work, and sleep in that order :D Sick days help too!

What times you gonna be there Midnite? You going to Quonnie?

I wasn't gonna buy Korkers until next year... but I may have to now if I intend to keep fishing the breachways.

you can sleep when your dead !!!!!!

i might be going down there also i would like

to get together with everyone,let me know

when your going and i'll meet you all there

scoobe maybe i can meet you and follow you down there

as long if you don't go to slow B)

bob :D

The high tide for the breachways is about 12 am/pm this weekend. I was thinking of taking JoeyT down there Saturday, but haven't decided what time yet. I don't think I can make it down there for the noon high tide but I can definitely make the midnight one. If you wanna meet up we can drive down together. I normally drive about 75 but I will slow it down on route 1. The posted limit is 50 there and it is LOADED with cops.

I may also head down on Thursday... either early morning or night. All this depends on the weather. Let me know if you wanna go either day, Bob.

scoobe 75 is good for me hey i will have to let you know when

i think thursday is out unless i fish all night then go to boston

on the way home and work all day or at least be just there

i'll let you know,bob B)

Cool Charlie. Just don't fall in the water. I feel like I'm in pure hell when it's nice out and I hear you guys talking about blitzes and I just can't skip work. I'm jealous, But happy for you all!

B) Thank you very much CharlieA and MidnightSurf. Now I know where Quonnie is. Will be fishing there this week. By the way, Quonset Airport is the state airport near Warwick. There is a jetty next to it. I caught alot of blue off it during the summer. :D

No problem Ninja... good luck down there.

As far as Korkers on the breachways, you should be able to hold out until next year Scoobe. If you guys have any trouble landing I can help you out... I've been wearing my waders with felt sole bootfeet and besides 1 spill I've been ok. Just bring a headlamp if you have one and the path to the landing area at Q isn't bad.

JoeyT, I can offer a couple suggestions too... go cheap on the swimmers. Bombers, mambo minnows, anything in this range. I have lost a few nice swimmers there in the past, and it sucks losing expensive plugs. You can go a little higher range on the topwaters... pencil poppers and darters have been lethal for me at Quonnie.

BTW, CharlieA, I got a tattoo's 3.5 oz red/yellow darter, a friend of mine gave it to me. I am going to give it a try.

I've had great luck with blue/white, but they've been hitting just about anything. As for weight, I'd just get the largest stuff that floats.

Good luck!

As for weight, I'd just get the largest stuff that floats.

Good advice.

I prefer black/darker colors for the night, and bring a few brighter colors for the dawn. Anything from 2-4oz that floats is good. My black mambo minnow, neon yellow bomber, and Gibbs pencil look like someone ran them over with a lawn mower B) I need to do some shopping

Yeah, man. Between the rocks, blues, and really fat, aggressive bass I wouldn't count on you getting a plug that looks nice too long. Anything that wiggles or pops will work.

Seriously, before you cast make sure you have found a nice spot to rotate to before you stop the freespool. Once you have about 1/2 a spool or so out, just pop it and let it drift back a few times. They will hit it, and hit it HARD. If your not ready you could either slip on the rocks or let the pole slip out of your hand. The last night I drifted at Q was Thursday before the Red Sox game. I have never felt bass hit and run so hard. I thought they were blues 'till I got them up.

Last thing you want is to get the 50#er to hit and you fall on your a$$ and watch as your pole races off into the night sea B)

If your not ready you could either slip on the rocks or let the pole slip out of your hand.

I can't believe someone didn't fall into the drink Saturday night. Even with korkers the footing is very poor...

-spence