• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/25 get together

80 posts in this topic

OK it seems like a bunch of people want to fish Rhody this Sat the 25th. Why not organize a trip for all of us? I am planning on getting down there a little bit before midnight and fishing the wee hours. I'm pretty familiar with Quonnie now, but also on the list are Weekapaug breachway, Charlestown breachway, Watch Hill, Judith Point area... lots of choices. Where would you guys like to go? These other places I am not so familiar with, I must warn you. It'd be better if one of the more experienced guys (CharlieA or MidnightSurf) would offer to guide us.

Things to bring... warm clothes, waders, flashlight, Korkers!!! I don't have Korkers (yet) and it's a biatch pulling up the fish on the jetties at night without em. If you got em, bring em... you can be the designated fish lander!

JoeyT, TattooBob, BigFoot... I know you guys are interested. Charlie, Midnite... you guys in? Anyone else?

We can bring coffee and stuff too. Let's have a good time and catch some bass! (and hope the weather holds up)

Sound like a lot of fun, but weekends I keep for the kids and wife. I get pretty much all the leeway I want M-F, but Sat & Sun is kids soccer, chores, and quite evening with the Mrs.

Good luck. There should be some major action this weekend tide.

I'm down... I'm still waiting to hear if my friend in Charlestown is going to be around on Fri., if not I'll head down with you guys on Sat. Either way I'll be there. My plan is to fish Quonnie for the falling tide, and the beachfronts on the incoming.

FYI... Watch Hill is not a friendly place without Korkers and waders. The best spots to fish from are on the tops of rocks when the tide is coming in. If we stick to Quonnie and the Charlestown beaches we should do fine.

I'm working with the tide charts to try and figure out some sort of schedule. The ocean tides and breachway tide differ quite a bit due to the size of the salt pond at Quonnie, and my brain isn't working too quick this morning. I'll reply when I figure it out.

OK... from the tide chart @ basspond.com, the high tide for Watch Hill Sat. night is at 9:15pm. With a slight adjustment for Charlestown, I would say the outflow at Quonnie will be raging by 10:00pm or so. Tide chart low for WH is at 2:15am, less 25min or so for low at Charlestown. Quonnie still runs out for a good 1.5hrs after that (new moon), so the rip will be done producing by about 3:30am. Add another hour or 2 fishing the rocks up the beach to the left of the jetty and that takes us near dawn. Then there are 2 choices... head out to Point Judith, or catch a couple zzz's and fish the drop again @ Quonnie at about 9am. I'm a big fan of option#2... the winds are supposed to be perfect B)

i think i'm in the only thing holding me back is the

thing with my truck,i hope to get it back this week

sometime i'm going to call them this minute,and i

will let you guys know whats up.i think i would

like to fish quonnie but if it's way to crowded i would

like to try some where else,i have know patients

with people or waiting my turn when i know i could

be catching a fish

ok here's the deal there going to paint it tomorrow

and he said that i could pick it up friday so i'm in

i'm so happy to get it back,not that i don't like driving

my car but the gas and miles are killing me

bob B)

Midnite, if you wanna work out a possible itinerary that is great. Last time I went there it was about 2.5 hours after the posted high tide for Judith Point that the rip started going out. I think that works out to some time between 11 and 12 forf Quonnie. We can all start there and then decide where to go from there if it isn't too good or there are too many people. Charlestown sounds good to me. You fish the rocks on the beach at Quonnie at low tide?

Itinerary??? I don't fish with one of those B)

The tide at Q is tricky, depending on the moon phase. What we usually do is take the midpoint between the posted tides for Watch Hill and Pt. Judith, and then adjust (the bs factor) for the moon. My local contact estimated it somewhere between Scoobe time and my time... boy this stuff is really scientific.

Scoobe, who is heading down? I have a couple ideas, and I'll pm to the guys going.

i got a breathable wader, is it sufficent? unless it gets cold or something? Damn, Scoobe, I got a lot of hwk to do this weekend. Im a little behind, man. I keep playing PS2 nad it got me nowhere! B) :D

Breathables are still fine as the water is quite warm still. You may want to wear a pair of tights or long johns underneath. Just try to keep your hands dry if the wind is blowing.

-spence

Scoobe, who is heading down? I have a couple ideas, and I'll pm to the guys going.

Midnite, as far as I know it's JoeyT, Bigfoot, TattooBob, you, and myself.

Bigfoot lives on the north shore and I think Bob does too. JoeyT needs a ride. We should carpool as much as possible.

Hello

I might be heading down there myself, Sat. night. It all depends on the wife, she's a nurse and is on call this week.

You see if I go fishing on the weekend I have to have my shadow with me. B)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that she likes to fish but the only time I get to myself is when I'm deer hunting. Which I will be doing Sat.

If she wants to go fishing I'll get out of the woods early and we will either fish RI., or CT.

So final count who is in?

Me, Bigfoot, Midnite, TattooBob... Spence and TripleJ?

How we gonna know who is who in the moonless night? I'll prob be driving down with Bigfoot in my car. Usually you can find me by my bright yellow vest, but if it gets any colder I'm gonna have to change to my old ski jacket.

Let's meet up at Quonnie around 10 or 11 ish. Anyone gonna bring coffee/food? I can bring a big thing of coffee from DD's.

ps - good work on the pm's midnite B)

As far as knowing who is who, I ordered custom glow in the dark name tags for everyone but unfortunately they won't ship till Monday B) ... how about this...

My friend works on Sat until 9pm, so we won't get there until 10pm or later. If you can give me a time you'll be there by (how long does it take you?) and tell me what kind of car you drive we can wait for you in the lot and chill for a minute before heading out. We'll be in a mid-90's greenish blue Blazer with a smokey-the- bear head stuck to the antenna.

Food and drink... I'll probably bring a few beers out for 'refreshment', but it's a pain to lug too much crap. It's not so bad going out, but it's tough bringing back a bunch of gear with a decent size keeper too. Coffee is always good though.

hey i'll drink a cup of coffee but thats the stongest i'll go

beers are out,it's been 10 yrs and 0ne would send me for

a loop i have a 2000 red ford ranger flair side or a 1973

chevy caprice covertable.

scoobe pm me your phone number and i will follow you

if ryan wants to meet at 10pm i think that we should leave at 8pm

let me knowor i meen i will call you you can always im me at tattoobob42

bob B)

dude i have to go to the ballet with the wife saturday at 2 to go

but i'm there and my brother may come to

Midnite,

We'll get there around 9:30-10 or so. I figure we can drink some coffee/beer while we all gather up. I'll be driving a silver Mercury Mystique.