• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/25 get together

80 posts in this topic

i was just wondering what do you guy bring and how do you get it out to

where we're going?i'm basicly a bait fisherman i have plenty of lures

what do you use to get that stuff out there?and how many rods

and what kind is the bestrod?i have a nice 8 foot ugly stick heavy with

a penn 6500SS on it will this do and a 10 foot power stick with a penn

8500SS and some otheres ? do you use a back pack or tackle box

thanx for the info,bob B)

Bob,

If we are gonna fish the breachways the popular method is to toss a big plug into the rip and let the current pull it out in free spool. Once it gets out there a ways you reel it back in. You can also do this with eels, I hear.

You can also jig/drift the channel with heavy bucktails or spoons.

Redbone,

They use that word a lot over there but I have no idea what it means.

what I like to do is carry a plug bag, my surf bag, and an eel bucket. Oh and a rod.

Plug bag carries plugs...duh.

Eel bucket carries eels...duh.

Surf bag carries fish cleaning stuff, flashlights/batteries, korkers, leaders etc...basically anything else that may be necessary.

Bait fishing I'll add my heavy rig and a few tubes for baiting up.

-spence

9:30-10pm sounds good guys. Bob, if it helps ya I use an 8' Power stick/Penn7500SS combo witrh 30lb fireline from the breachway and it does me fine. Spences gear storage setup is right on the mark. Casting real long isn't necessary... it's mostly drift and swing with the plug of your choice.

Weather looks good... wind looks good... let's hope that all the other fishermen who know this get the flu B)

Redbone, you know FD wouldn't be caught dead on the breachway for fear of recognition... maybe we'll invade his beach :D

Hey all

The wife still hasn't given me an answer yet on wheather she wants to go or not, because of her being on call. B) The breachway is a 2+ hour drive from westfield. If we do make it down there we will be driving HER green 99 Expidition.

thanks for the pm Ryan

Do you guys wear waders at the breechways or are they more like jetties?

I'm 70% in right now. Wife gave it the tentative nod but with the newborn plans seem to change quickly.

-spence

Good to hear you guys might make it down B)

The ends of the breachways are small jetties, but I wear breathables out there because I like to go off to the left and fish the rocks too. Once you see the landing area with your light a couple times, you shouldn't have any problems or scares if you are used to dealing with rocks. This winter I'm going to get some hip waders or long wading boots so in the event of an untimely swim I'd be better off.

This winter I'm going to get some hip waders or long wading boots so in the event of an untimely swim I'd be better off.

I just picked up an inflatable PFD for this very reason. The areas I usually fish over on this side of the state are pretty ugly. With Korkers, jacket and PFD I look like I'm on an expidition.

-spence

That seems a bit windy. I can't find Korkers anywhere local. B)

That is a fairly strong wind, but not unfishable. As long as it isn't pushing the water back into the breachway short casts and drifting will be fine. If not, out come the tins. That wind will also keep the bait closer to our side of the breachway.

Scoobe... you have any footwear with felt soles?

PFD added to my winetr list spence...

Nope... just the regular boots on the waders. Usually I can land my own fish on a jetty. But last time there I had someone with Korkers help pull my fish up. It all depends on lighting and how comfortable I am with the area.

A Googan is a new person to the Striper Coast someone who buys all the latest gear by word of mouth, but doesnt really know how to use it.

Old NY slang word from Jackie Gleason Googanheimer = Greenhorn etc. Think of the old grand dad types that fish the surf and know everything then think of us kids who grew up in suburbs and got into fishing. They call all new guys or slightly inexperienced guys Googans. We constantly go against the grain of logic by fishing with 15' rods or through an unconventional fashion cause we know no better.

You should be fine Scoobe... if you have a headlamp you can light the way going down to the landing area. It's not bad, it looks like big rock stairs. If you need help, no problem. Korkers are a tough find up here, and expensive on the internet B)

Nicely put Rebone . We havn't heard from you for a while . I'ts always good to have someone around whith a sense of humor . This place is getting kind of dull it needs a laugh every now and then thankyou.

I guess we're all Googans at some point then. I only wish I had enough money to buy all the gear I wanted!

Call Korkers and they can tell you the closest dealer. I believe the Bears Den in taunton has them...it's on your way to RI, but they would likely be closed by the time you would be passing through.

-spence

do you think if we got some of those felt circles that goes on the bottom of chairs

and stuck them on the bottom of the wader boots that would work?

bob B)

do you think if we got some of those felt circles that goes on the bottom of chairs and stuck them on the bottom of the wader boots that would work?

It would probably be more of a hassle than it's worth... you would need to cover the entire bottom so you wouldn't be off balance and the glue may not hold up to water. At least you wouldn't mark up the rocks though B)

I just called Capt. Don's B&T on Rt.1 in Charlestown to check on his plug stock, and I asked about Korkers. He has 2 pairs left... 1 medium and 1 large, and they're open till 10 or 11pm nightly. No guarantees, but he may still have them tomorrow. Spence had a good idea about calling the manufacturer, or you could search for B&T's on the way and call to see who has what.

Here's the news from Q and Weekapaug:

Went to take a look last night, fish this morning:

Last Night: Tide started to turn at about 9:30-9:45. A 8:30 there were 10 guys waiting to cast. I left at about 9:30 as I had somewhere to be. It was cold and real windy. Wear a hat, gloves, and warm coat or you're going home early.

This AM. Tide turned around 10:00am. Real cold, real windy, no bait, no fish. Again, be sure to have enough warm weather gear or your trip will be short. Only a couple of guys, but no action. Left at about 11:00am and went to Weekapaug.

Got to Weekapaug at about 11:15 and went to the west wall. No action on the breachway, but blues were crashing the beach to the west. Ran down and grabbed one on a popper, another guy grabbed 2 on tins. He said they were working up and down the beach. Decided to leave at about 12:00, saw gulls working the beach on off the east wall.

So, I got in the car, drove over the bridge, parked, and walked to the east beach. Blues and Peanut Bunker were everywhere - except my plugs. Each cast came back with at least 2 Peanut Bunker impaled but no fish. To make matters worse, a guy walks up with the same plug, casts, and gets a monster blue. B)

Oh well, not my day.

There was one bass taken from the beach, but only about 25 inches.

I'll bet the bass are back at Q this weekend, but if it's too crowded ro too slow try the Weekapaug walls.

From Q, take RT 1 S to RT 1A toward Misquamicut (sp?) Beach. Follow the next sign for Misq. Follow the road and you'll get to a intersection. The bridge over the breachway is on the right. If you go straight, take the first right into the parking lot. That's the East side. For the West side, take the right and cross the bridge and take the first left into the parking lot.

As I said, the tide this AM started running at about 10:00am - Good Luck

Thanks for the report Charlie... I'm glad it's supposed to be a bit warmer this weekend.