• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/25 get together

80 posts in this topic

no fish ,i guess they hurd i was comming

just my luck,i went to pi for two months

and the one weekend i couldn't go they

killed them,oh well

bob B)

Bob, worst case you can swing by my place after...we have a market just down the road the sells live Tataug and Black Sea Bass B) Really we do...

You'll find fish. Between the breachway at Q and the rocks to the east - combined with a new moon and a "midnight" tide - I'd just suggest you hold onto your pole for dear life.

With the crew going down there, well I won't jinx you all, but safe to say you will all have lots of good things to say about Rhody.

i was just wondering what do you guy bring and how do you get it out to

where we're going?i'm basicly a bait fisherman i have plenty of lures

what do you use to get that stuff out there?and how many rods

and what kind is the bestrod?i have a nice 8 foot ugly stick heavy with

a penn 6500SS on it will this do and a 10 foot power stick with a penn

8500SS and some otheres ? do you use a back pack or tackle box

thanx for the info,bob B)

Bob -

Bring your heaviest action pole and anything that floats as far as plugs (poppers or swimmers, but nothing that dives too far) , plus a few tins for good measure. If you have mono, be ready for breaks on the rocks. As for number of rods I ususally just bring one as it's a pain to carry all that crap.

I use a backpack, but most guys I see have a small shoulder bag.

Keep any light action stuff home. :D

I neglected to add, fishing the pond behind Q can be productive as well. I have never caught anything there yet, but I haven't put any time in. Walked back that way this AM I saw two keepers laying in the road?!?! :D B) :(

Why would you catch the things, lay them in the road, and LEAVE THEM!!

Anyway, it obviously means someone caught them and forgot them?

You guys will have plenty of places to grab some fish.

I'm so jealous of you guys. My mouth has been watering listening (reading) about the plans. I hope you guys do great and can't wait to hear the reports.

Good Luck, Great Skills!! DO IT !!!!!

Bob, I've found the most useful bag is sort of bowling bag shaped, that zipps all the way open and can be slung over the shoulder. I tried a backpack for a while but didn't like it. Difficult to get at stuff on the bottom.

-spence

I second Bob's motion. If you're free, Q is an awesome place to fish. I can't believe it took me over 30 years to find PI and Q. I fished with my brother in Milford CT!! A few stripers in June/July, but that's it! I fish both every chance I get, and to go with others makes it more fun.

It's only fall once a year, so go for it - even if it's not this weekend. If you fish for stripers, you owe yourself a trip to Q.

So what's the word on a meeting place? I've never been there so if someone could provide directions I'd appreciate it. I'd be coming from the newport bridge.

thanks - spence

I just wanted to post a few more- lets face it winter is here and the north shore is done. Good luck in Rhodey Gentlemen. B) :D

We can tether the non-korkers to those who have korkers... B)

-spence

:D :( :(

I don't own them, but I've fallen at least once every time. Needless to say I'm gettin' a pair this winter.

My advice is this:

You don't need them to cast or fight the fish. The trick is landing the fish, and the rocks on the water's edge are slippery (funny how that works).

You can work the fish to your left onto the beach. The trick here is a series of rocks that will test the heart of your line. I haven't done this yet - I don't have the guts. When I have one of these big boys on, the last thing I want is to lose it on the rocks.

So, next you can TRY to stand up and work your way to the lower rocks. You will fall. Maybe not the first time, but sooner or later, the fish will pull at the wrong time or your foot will move. I haven't broken any bones yet, but I have some nice bruises and scars. Also a list of stuff given to the gods of Q (hat, flashlight, pliers, and Bogagrip). Each slip I see money washed away.

Lastly, just sit your a$$ on a wet, slimy rock and fight and land the fish with a wet a$$. Works great, looks stupid, feels awful - especially the car ride home - but hey with fish in the cooler life is good.

My advice, sit or pay someone to be the designated Korker :P

It sounds really bad, but you won't have more fun anywhere.

Other than that, I have no opinion. :P

yo, i doubt that my baitrunner 405 will survive. i know a guy who lives in rhody. holy crapola! chralie, thats so whacked! and u know that i am deaf? i will be blind and muted tomw night for sho.\

i got a 30# test fireline on my baitrunner, is it surrifcent for striper?

Wow this thread has become a monster! Joey and Bigfoot, see you guys at my house. We are leaving at 8 for Quonnie. See all you guys there in the parking lot!

Ok guys, some possible bad news. I seem to be coming down with a cold tonight. I am not sure how I will feel tomorrow... fishing all night/morning long in freezing cold weather with a cold. We'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. Bigfoot and JoeyT... I will check this board when I get up and post how I am feeling (probably noon or 1). I will also be in contact with you guys via phone or e-mail. If I don't go, maybe you guys can work something out and go together. Hopefully I will feel up to it tomorrow... after all I feel like I started this whole posse! B) Hmm crap it also appears there is possible rain, doh. Let's hope for the best.

Joey, your gear should be fine. I recommend you tie your fireline to a swivel and then the other end to 3 feet of heavy mono, about 50#. If you catch fish, the first few feet of your line is probably gonna get abrased on the rocks. This way you only have to replace cheap mono. Plus, it's easier to grab this thick mono to land the fish rather than cutting your hand on thin braid. One more thing, the fish feel much, much larger when you are pulling them in through the rip. They really use that current to their advantage. Just be patient with the fish and only pump and reel in when they are not pulling line. I find that when using plugs the fish hook themselves pretty good.

Charlie, your suggestions are hilarious but I definitely know where you are coming from! I usually try to make a mental note of which rocks are dry and which are wet... but this is harder when you get there after sunset! I have not resorted to sitting my ###### on a rock yet. Usually I ask one of the guys with Korkers to help land my fish. It seems like I am usually the only one without them so it's not hard to find someone!

yo, i doubt that my baitrunner 405 will survive. i know a guy who lives in rhody. holy crapola! chralie, thats so whacked! and u know that i am deaf? i will be blind and muted tomw night for sho.\

i got a 30# test fireline on my baitrunner, is it surrifcent for striper?

You will be fine. Have fun!

I wouldn't worry about gear that much. As long as you have a heavy leader and your knots are good just about any rig will work. Just hope you don't hook into a big mama.

At Q, do you guys park at the lot on the pond and walk the rocks to the other end? I'm looking 90% now. My wife won't complain as long as I spend the day shingling.

thanks,

-spence

i just spoke to the guy who fishes at qouinnie, he told me that it's possible to fish near the dock, all the sides of the beach...

Alright, I gotta stop worryign about everythign too much.

Scoobe, I might arrive at your house early today.

I"m feeling decent right now, still a bit sniffly. If I'm not good to go I'll let you guys know.

Parking - Safest bet is to park in the state lot and walk back to the rocks.

"dock fishing" - There's no real dock, but a ramp was in the back. There is VERY fishable water all the way to the back pond, including the back pond. If the breachway is to packed I'd try the rocks to the left of the breachway, then the back channel and pond until it clears a little. The biggest fish are in the rips.