• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoobe

10/25 report

29 posts in this topic

I hope everyone had fun tonight. It was great meeting some new faces... Spence, Midnite, and JoeyT of course.

I got a fish on my first cast into the channel on the black Mambo. Too bad I eventually lost that lure. I got 2 more fish on a Bomber borrowed from Bigfoot... one 20 something and a 31 keeper. I owe you a treble buddy, one of those bent barbs could not be saved.

The catch of the night goes to Bob. His one fish was the big one... probably around 40 inches. You were fighting that thing for a while man... we were all like "what's he doing, stuck on a rock or something?"

Going out with a cold was definitely worth it. I'm glad to say it was quite a nice night, a little windy but pretty warm. Bob, I can send you a full rez version of the pic when I see you on aim.

post-21-1067165328_thumb.jpg

Nice fish. Get some sleep, but then add more DETAILS. How many fish did you guys get? Were they in thick (fish each cast) or did they need some coaxing?

How 'bout a list of gear lost to the gods of Quonnie?

A 40 is sweet!

Sorry I missed it!!

hi all,

i had a blast,it was nice meeting the guys,i was kinda confused about the rotation thing at first but the regulars were great about shearing info.wow that was the biggest fish i ever caught and i did fight it for a while that fish just sat there for awhile in the rip and i couldn't hardly move her,charlie i've never been there but there where around twenty to thrity fiish caught and a ton of hits,they where hitting almost anything thrown to them,i caught mine on that new salty bugger lure that i just got,i took it out of the package tied it on and wam huge fish.i didn;t really want to use it there due to all the rocks but you have to live dangeresly sometimes,hey it's only twenty dollars!!!i could have spent that in the bar in an hour

now the only thing i have to do is some how figure out a way i can go next weekend :D

thanx,bob B) :(

Now that's what I wanted to hear! When the fish are in, they are thick and will hit ANYTHING. The rule of thumb is start with your biggest plugs (to avoid the peskey 30 inchers) and work backwards 'till you have nothing left.

Sounds like the big guys are still there.

Again, nice fish.

Ain't Quonnie great! B)

I've never been to "Quonnie," I'm thinking of a night run this evening and don't know where to go. I don't want to muscle in on anyone's territory, but would really like some direction.

thanks,

Hey, directions are found in several widely published books so I have no trouble posting them here.

From MA, go south to RI and get on RT 1.

Follow RT 1 to Charlestown.

Take the West Beach exit. Go straight thru the light.

Go stright to the end of the road (follow signs to boat ramp)

Take a right at end of the road to public parking.

Walk back up the road and cut thru a dark yard (no public access points) to the rock pathway to the breachway.

If you punch West Beach Road, Charlestown, RI into MapQuest you will get directions.

Good luck. You want the outgoing tide, so add 2 hours to Watch Hill's.

I am not sure how thick the fish were in. There was one stretch of time when the fishing was pretty good but it wasn't every furious. The one drift when I got the 31 I felt about 4 or 5 hits before I hooked that one.

95s or 495s to 95s follow to rt4s rt 4 turns into rt 1 follow rt one till you come to a sign that says

east beach rd,west beach rd follow to w.beach rd till it becomes dirt there will be a parking lot on

the left park there,walk back down the road to the first large opening and go to the wall follow the wall

to the left and on to the jetty good luck ,bob B)

What hours did you fish? How many were fishing (besides the "Surfcaster Posse" :D )?

20-30 fish is great, but when spread over 15 guys.......

Did you guys try anywhere else? Blues are ALL OVER Weekapaug. The peanut bunker is in thick and the blues are running up and down the breachways and beaches hammering them. No real reports of stripers there, though - just a few 20's running with the blues. Most likely the stripers are under the blues eating the scraps, but it's real hard to get to them when the blues smash your gear as soon as it gets close.

Any details for the shut-ins are appreciated. B)

charlie , at one point there were at least 20 guys there but the later it got the less people where there

we started fishing around 11pm to 11:30 and i left at 4am or so ,we pretty much just staied there but some were fishing down the outlet some i think there was some blues there,some eels were kinda chewed up but none were caught

bob B)

I only saw perhaps 5-6 decent fish, a few lost when landing and a few schoolies.

While it was a good time overall, I found the entire process extremely frustrating. I don't think I will ever fish there again if there were more than 3 or four others. Of the 4 hours I was there I doubt I had my line wet more than 30 min, and a good portion of that was spend untangling my rig with someone else.

Quonny may be a great spot for stripers, but I'll take somewhere 25% as productive where I can fish 100% of the time.

-spence

Just in case any of you guys are going down to the breachways for the first time...

Here is how the famed "rotation" works.

1) wait in line

2) wait until the person in front of you has his line to the side a bit (communication here is key)

3) cast your lure into the rip

4) maintain a semi-tight line as you free spool line into the rip

5) close bail and move to a rock at the side away from the rip

6) begin retrieving your lure and inform next person he/she can cast

Failure to follow these rules ends in tangled lines, lost lures... angry fishermen! Oh and be careful with your lights at Quonnie. The "elite" fishermen on the west jetty love to let you know how much they hate your lights. B)

It most certainly is. It's not so bad when there aren't many people and they know how to do it right; it moves along very quickly. The alternative is everyone getting tangled into a big bird nest of lures and line. Heck one guy even got snagged in a bunch of old line and ended up pulling out 2 lures and 1 eel. One of the lures belonged to Midnite; he had lost it earlier in the night!

Great guys I'm so happy for you !! Great catch Bob! Now you can relax. It made me want to go down there and fish with you all, but I can't handle that fishing in such an orderly way. I'm not cut out for jetties. Part of the reason I like fishing so much is that I get to do something I like the way I want to not by all those rules I'm glad you had fun and I'm so happy to hear the fish are still in NE.

I took a trip to the Point Judith light house this afternoon!!!

The weather was cloudy,showers and windy!!!

The ocean was rough and churned up!!!

There were a bunch of guys fishing on the rocks and they were

catching some good size blues and stripers!!!

I went down and using a popper was able to get a few hits but did not

land any fish!!! They were using sluggos and shad bodies which I had up in my van!!!

I was only able to fish for 20 minutes due to the fact I had no waders!!!

I had water shoes on and wind breaker pants(Ha!!!)

I told my wife that what I need for xmas are some waders!!! She agreed!!!

It was nice to be able to wet a line and see people catching fish!!! B) :D :(

Don't forget Korkers! Those are definitely number 1 on my holiday list.

Great guys I'm so happy for you !! Great catch Bob! Now you can relax. It made me want to go down there and fish with you all, but I can't handle that fishing in such an orderly way. I'm not cut out for jetties. Part of the reason I like fishing so much is that I get to do something I like the way I want to not by all those rules I'm glad you had fun and I'm so happy to hear the fish are still in NE.

Weekapaug is a good bet. People are catching bass and blues off the jetties and the beaches. You could fish artificial or bait there on either side. There's no "roatation" system there so NO RULES B)

Had a good time fishing with the surfcaster crew this Sat. Don't be discouraged by the crowd, it happens but it is not like that most of the time. Bob made everyone on the jetty look bad with that 40 incher... nice work B)

I was determined to catch a keeper that night, only got one small guy in the first 1/2hr and then nothing for hours. I ended up staying out till 5:30am and had the place to myself until a couple guys showed up at 5am. The fish turned on one more time before I left... got several on and landed a couple small keepers 32" and 34" when the tide was just about slacked.

Next time head down with Korkers and get there during the day to check out some other spots. Q is manageable without Korkers, but the good spots @ Watch Hill and Pt. Judith are tougher to get to, especially when you're seeing the place for the first time in the dark. Charlie, I was thinking Weekapaug too until I cruised by there at about 8:30pm and there were cars lining the spots on both sides of the bridge... the big blues are back in town. It would have been nice to spread the beach too, but the wind didn't agree.

All in all, a good weekend, and good meeting you guys.

i emailed scott at saltybugger.com a report and a picture about how his

lures worked and he was so happy that he posted it on his home page

then he emailed me today and told me he was going to give me some

more plugs to have fun with

saltybugger.com

i'm still so shocked about it,i acuallytold my wife before i left

i was going to get the biggest fish of my life and i did

maybe i should take her to the ballet more offen

bob B)

ryan are you going this weekend?

Scoobe, we should try the Fresh Pond Rocks soon because it's a good spot to fish and no fakking rotation, just mfoing beach! But we should check the spot out in a daytime, you know?