• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
CharlieA

EEZ - Open, Closed, Other?

11 members have voted

1. 1. EEZ - Open, Closed, Other?

• Keep it closed
    • Open it up with 28" restriction
    • Open it, but make them count all stripers to quota Undecided
    • What is the EEZ?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

So, what's the feeling around here?

Oops - Somehow undecided got onto another choice. Oh well, no one can be undecided!!

i myself think that it should remain closed,i think that the striped bass is just coming back,the last few years there have been a ton of fish from very small to the 36 inch size and not to may to much bigger.i still beleave that they need more time to grow up to those huge breeders that will produce the large quanity of eggs that is needed to really keep the striped bass fisheries to last years and years to come.a fifty pound fifty inch bass is 18 years old,it's only been closed sence the 80's (not sure of the exact date) but it still needs some more time,lets say maybe 2010

bob :D

Last night the Cape Cod Salties Sportsfishing Club (275 members) voted nearly unanimously to notify NMFS of their support for openning the EEZ.

BillH

Onshore,

I have been meaning to head to a Cape Cod Salties meeting. They seem like a good group. What is your impression of that club and their meetings?

Thanks,

Mike

Let me ask a fairly uninformed question -

If the EEZ is opened, why wouldn't we want all stripers to count toward their total catch.

I know that now, if they catch a 20 incher, they throw it back - belly up. It doesn't count toward their quota - but the striper is dead none the less.

Why not force all stripers to count toward the tonnage?

Onshore,

I have been meaning to head to a Cape Cod Salties meeting. They seem like a good group. What is your impression of that club and their meetings?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike:

I've been to two meetings and find it a great group. No one method of fishing seems to dominate the group. Membership is around 275 and there are usually about 50 at meetings. They are active in a number of areas. Tournament, conservation, scholarchips,etc.

BillH

Let me ask a fairly uninformed question -

If the EEZ is opened, why wouldn't we want all stripers to count toward their total catch.

I know that now, if they catch a 20 incher, they throw it back - belly up. It doesn't count toward their quota - but the striper is dead none the less.

Why not force all stripers to count toward the tonnage?

Charlie:

I assume you are speaking of commercial fishermen. They would have the same rules they have now in the state where they fish from. Discards are not legal and they have a 36" length limit, 40 fish/day in Mass. Mass quota is 1,100,000 lbs. minus whatever amount they overfished in 2003 and I understand that was less than 20,000. Not all commercials are that calus about their fish. Many are just as good conservationists as the majority of recreational fishermen are. After all, they want the stocks to stay healthy too.

Of course, the EEZ would be open to recreational fishermen also and, as you know, that allows them 2 fish/day at 28".

BillH

Last year we showed up early one morning to fish. When we hit the beach we were totally disgussted by what we saw. Keeper sized stripers on shore and floating up and down the beach there were like 8 of them., between 28 and 30" with no apparent reason. From looking at them we could only deduce that someone caught them and kept them and then caught bigger ones and dumped these overboard. It's total speculation, but what else could have happened? I think there are a lot more commercial fisher-snakes out there than you think, along with recreational ones. In a perfect world we would all follow the rules and everything could go just the way it should.

The fish would be plentiful no one would have to break the rules just to make a buck. Unfortunately this is not the case. I would like to see the stripers protected for a few more years, so the kind of depletion that happened in the 80's never happens again. There is a difference when your catching fish(stripers) to put on your families table and tossing small keepers(dead) overboard to catch bigger ones to put money in your pocket. Not to say that they shouldn't earn a living but leave the stripers alone for a bit, go after something else. Then maybe some day in the future there won't be any regulations anymore.

What makes you think it was commercials that did it, Nance? Was it during the commercial season?

I know a number of recreational fishermen fishing out of PI who hi-grade their fish. Maybe it was a couple of recs. who had more than their limit and dumped them when the law or CG showed up.

What happened in the 80's was more likely the result of pollution in the Chesapeake than it was overfishing by anyone. Else, why did the Hudson River produce a record crop of fish during the time the Chesapeake was stagnent?

I think that all to often we rush to blame commercial fishermen for what we perceive as a problem without any proof.

BillH

You're absolutely right Bill. The only thing I know for sure is that it wasn't a surfcaster. High grading is a waste. I think it was commercials 'cause there were so many of them. What ever happened in the 80's happened. Now it's time to fix it. I think by letting commercial fishermen take poundage instead of numbers is a big mistake. Too many get thrown over dead after the days end, let me know if you see how that will save our stripers and how.

Don't forget I think the commercial fisherman has every right to earn a living and I respect that. It's one of the hardest jobs in the world. I only think that if they left the stripers alone for a couple of years everyone would be a winner!

nemoorebrown, if the fish you found were 28-30", they were probably not from a commercial fisherman hi-grading. Commercial fish have to be 34" minimum to be sold and a com cannot have any fish under 34" in possesion when commercial fishing.

Also, every com striper fisherman I know can quickly and efficiently release undersize fish with little to no injury. The fish is stressed much less during the fight because they tend to use heavy gear and get the fish in quicker. This greatly increases the fish's chance of survival.

Stripers are also much tougher than you think. I've cleaned numerous fish over the years that had multiple hooks in them. I find this to be a pretty common occurance. One fish this year had (4) hooks in various stages from new to almost completely rusted away. In addition, it also had a 2' steel leader in him.

Well, I'm glad to hear that commercial fishermen are only allowed 34" min. They had to be from a rec boater then. There are so many people out there than don't treat the fish with care, as this sport seems to increase each year I just hope the word spreads that they are still somewhat of a protected fish that need to be handled gently and quickly. I've seen completely gutted fish jump back to the water.,Even watched ones heart beat for 10 minutes after it was removed. I know stripers are tough. Thank God or we would never have gotten them back.

When I see a fisherman treating a fish badly I have no problem helping him learn the right way.Lots of folks don't know that they just aren't any old fish, they are STRIPERS!!

I read a story last year I think in OTW that they let the coms take 100 fish no size limit and thousands of keeper sized bass were found dead . They were throwing keeper sized back for the sake of catching 100 bigger fish. Which means more money. I think it was in S.C. It was a grievious mistake that I think since has been corrected.

Thanks Dave for teaching me things I did not know!

So Charlie if they were forced to count all fish in thier tonage how would they sell say a 10" fish? That might help the depletion problem but not the fisherman trying to make a living. Oy what messy merry-go-round! It's giving me a head ache. I don't know how to fix this problem. The only right thing to do is to let them have a 28" limit and make sure all the shorts were released alive and healthy. How can that be enforced? The State just doesn't have the money. These poor commercial fishermen, they fight a never ending battle.

I'll think about it next summer while I'm laying on the beach getting my tan with 2 rods in the water. I'm glad I do it just for fun! :D

My opinion is that stripers should be only a sport fish. There are plenty of other fish out there that wouldn't give everyone such a head ache. Besides, where are all these fish going? I've never seen striper for sale at a market, maybe restaurants?