• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mad Kayaker

Knopps Pond, Groton, MA

12 posts in this topic

Fishing Access: Shoreline: Yes (limited – beach – not sure how you get there or if you'd catch alot of bass there, all other shoreline is private homes). Kayak/Canoe: Yes, launch from Boat Ramp. Boat: Yes, Boat Ramp. * Location noted on Map

Date: Sunday, May 23, 2004

Time: 12:30pm to 6:45pm

Conditions: Cool weather, intervals of clouds - 60's, water – Clear, light chop, surface temperature 60’s. Water depth 4' - 20' (average 6’)

Circumstance: Fishing from Boat – Nitro 750. Launched at the boat ramp.

Gear: Shimano Curado baitcaster with 14lb. Stren superbraid, another with 20lb. Stren superbraid.

Lures: Booyah 3/8 oz Chartreuse spinner, assorted Senko 5” worms; Lucky Craft 100 Sammy.

Mad Kayaker JAFS (Just Another Fish Story) Fish Rating (1-5, 5 being excellent): WOW 5.5, see reason below. Was it going to rain, was it going to stay cloudy? Was there going to be a tornado? – I just couldn’t take it and had to go fishing! Caught two pickerel and two bass – one being the BIGGEST BASS I HAVE EVER CAUGHT!!! My brother caught six bass and numerous pickerel. :D

Tip: If you are going by boat, head toward the southern end of the pond – it’s a big pond. If there is heavy boat traffic, look for the quiet coves.

Picture of the day:

Attached. If you want additional proof, ask and I'll email some photos because if you don't have photos, it's just another fish story!

Details: So I got up and fertilized my lawn at 5:00am (my last chore for the weekend), got gasoline and put all my gear into the jeep. I have a new topwater lure – the Sammy, and I really wanted to practice using it. Unfortunately, much like they said Saturday, the weather reports kept saying there would be off and on showers and I kept holding off from going fishing. Finally, after watching one too many weather forecasts and a few assorted fishing shows, I decided to call my brother to see if he wanted to go. We waited a little bit longer and decided to head out before noon.

If you haven’t fished Knopps Pond, you ought to try it out, although the best time is during the week when you don’t have the pleasure boaters out causing mayhem and being reckless. I started off fishing Senko’s but kept losing the fish when I’d set the hook. Meanwhile, my brother caught about four bass and a handful of pickerel. (I later realized that my hook was bent!) Out of frustration, I picked up a 3/8 oz. Booyah Chartreuse spinnerbait with bleeding hook and started casting tight to shore. We went around one of the small islands and I cast to a lay down log. Short strike! I knew there was a bass there. I cast it again and wummph! The bass took it and headed straight for the boat, 20 yards out. Now you have to understand, this is maybe the third or fourth time I have been in my new boat and I had my foot on the trolling motor pad, cranking the handle of my reel and trying to find the net as this whale is coming right at me and I’m noticing this is a big bass. Realizing that my screaming wasn’t because the boat was on fire, my brother grabbed the net as the bass went right below the boat – my rod was bent over and I had to really pull with steady pressure to get Orca’s head turned around. After a few minutes, I did get the bass back out from under the boat and a few more moments later, the bass was netted. This was the biggest bass I have ever caught (it weighed in at over 5 1/2 lbs.) – you can see from the picture, this isn’t just another fish story!

Well, we kept fishing and I practiced with the Sammy and caught a few pickerel on it. Even though I only ended up with two bass and my brother caught six, I’m not going to complain. I can only imagine what it would have been like if I caught that bass in my kayak – the bass would have towed me back and forth across the pond, as many large bass will do. Anyway, it’s a big pond – should be called a lake and by the looks of all those empty bass beds – there are tons of bass there so please go and fish it. If you see the Mad Kayaker – say hello!

Was this useful? If so, add a reply post comment back and I will continue to post. If you want other details added to my report let me know and I will try to accommodate, I don't mind sharing the information. You can email me at MadKayaker17@aol.com

Bill, The Mad Kayaker - I always throw them back for someone to catch another day. I also use a digital scale so you know any weight I report over 1 lb. is accurate! B)

Got a canoe or kayak? Have a favorite place within 30 miles of Boston? Not a felon or wanted by the police? Want to fish with the Mad Kayaker? Let me know - I am fishing almost every week for the entire season and would love to exchange tips with others.

post-5-1085447634_thumb.jpg

Great report as usual MK.Congrats on that bass.That is a NICE fish..I love that pond.Lots of great fishing and a beautiful place too..

Congrats on catching your biggest bass to date! That is a beautiful fish. That lunker had to have made your day.

Congrats again to you.

wow nice one B) good reporting to.

Nice fish!

I was happy to help you net that sow! B)

We saw lots of emtpy beds - the bass there have all spawned out & are now eating! We also saw lots of beavers! A great day of fishing!

Russ aka The Mad_Kayaker's brother

We also saw lots of beavers!

Went to the strip joint after fishing?

I want to fish with thies guys B)

he was fishing off a boat

Nice fish congrats on your record! B)

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! It's good to see such a great community giving kudos. That is one of the reasons why I come to this mostly saltwater web site and why I put the time into the reports - hopefully to encourage others to go freshwater bass fishing and try some of the places I have gone to. Maybe one or two of you will try Knopps Pond again or for the first time? If you do, by the looks of the empty bass beds, there are tons of bass there - Good Luck!

Surf Rat - I do try to get around and make the most of my fishing time. I'm scouting one of my next trips - I'm thinking of fishing the Hudson River where BassMasters held one of their tournaments last year. I'm hoping I might get lucky and tie into a striper to make the saltwater guys jealous :D

Thanks again for the encouragement. It's about time that I finally caught a bass whose head is about as fat and big as mine. heh heh heh Stay tuned for the next report!

Mad Kayaker B)