• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plum Crazy

2 FISH POSSESSION LIMIT

22 posts in this topic

I know this topic has gone round and round but there is never a straight answer. No one seems to know and I would like to find out how to get the answer.

The division of Marine Fisheries states that you may have a maximum of 2 fish at 28" minimum in your possession. It does not say per day.

So if you fish for two days and are heading home with 4 fish is this wrong? I am thinking that it is because I would then have 4 fish in my "possession".

Also, if I were to fish in Maine and had a slot fish which I believe is 24" and got caught with them in MA would that be illegal? Is transporting striped bass across state lines illegal?

Don't laugh! I would hate to be in this position and not know my rights.

Now if I ever get 2 keepers I wanna know what I should do. Pack it up for the weekend? The rules are not clear and I'm asking for someone to clear it up for me.

2 keepers in one day :angry: :angry: :o (RIGHT!) :( :) ;)

It is a daily limit, although since the DEM has no way of knowing how many day's you have been fishing they would probably enforce it like it was a days catch to ensure you were not poaching.

-spence

OK PC you asked for it :angry: I found it for ya.and you may not like it.

Recreational Management Measures. For purposes of conservation and management of the resource the following measures shall apply to recreational fishermen who harvest, catch, take or possess or attempt to harvest, catch, take or possess any striped bass:

(a) All striped bass shall be no less than 28 inches in total length. Striped bass less 28 inches in total length shall be released immediately to the waters from which taken.

(:( Recreational fishermen may retain no more than:

1. two striped bass per day; and

2. may possess no more than two striped bass at any one time. © Recreational fishermen may not sell, barter or exchange any striped bass.

(d) Recreational fishermen may not discard dead striped bass that are 28 inches or greater in total length.

(e) To prohibit the practice of high-grading as defined in 322 CMR 6.07(2) recreational fishermen may not retain legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. Any legal-sized fish not immediately released into the water and held by stringer, live-well or another means shall be considered intent to high-grade.

here is the rest of CMR 322 section 6.07

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialf...22cmr6.htm#6.07

and here is CMR 322 in is entirty if you feel like getting eye strain and falling a sleep :angry:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialf...index.htm#frame

I wish I could answer the State to state question but I think that's up to the officer the stops you.Just play is safe :o

Thanks Smokey. It doesn't matter if I like it or not, that's what I wanted to know. We can have no more than 2 in possession at any time. I just wanted to be sure. They sure don't make it easy to understand, with the per day thing. I just don't want to NOT know the exact rules. Not that I'm catching 4 keepers or anything! :angry:

my suggestion if your taking one of maines little keepers is to cook it or consume it in the state prior to leaving (if possible..) that way you don't have to worry about it..

or if you are super concerned and can't cook it.. filet and skin it just like any other fish..

I think the two fish, 28 inch rule is going to catch up to us sooner than later. It's too friggin easy- OR i think there should be a window where the breeders (large females) should be let go. Females are sexually mature sometime between their eighth and ninth year (34 inches or so) What's wrong with putting a 1 limit fish restriction for anything over this length?-What's the point in keeping two over this limit. How much can you eat at one seating (frozen fish is nothing like fresh so don't give me that arguement)

Well Joe I won't argue with you on the fresh is better thing, but frozen is better than none. We eat a lot of fish in my house. So far 12 keepers are not enough to last us through till next season. Believe me when I say, NO FISH EVER GETS THROWN OUT IN MY HOUSE. I do chowders, casseroles etc.

I do not think the 2 fish rule is too easy. From shore anyway. My husband is a very good fisherman and only once has he caught 2 in one night. We were very happy to add that to the freezer. If you do it right it tastes very, very good. I on the other hand am still on the hunt and I wish it were easy.

What we don't need is any windows!! It should be a straight 28" across the board for every state. I would rather see it go back to 1 fish at 28" than have to deal with the slot BS. Wouldn't that make it easier for everyone??

Crash that's all I need is to be caught with filleted striper. I am not trying to mess with the system just figure it out.

I WANT to follow the rules. I just can't interpret them!! :angry:

I would like to see a new regulation where every angler is entitled to 1 slot fish (28-30") per day and 1 trophy tag per year (similar to deer, moose, etc.). The rationale for slot fish is that not only will breeders (> 30") be returned, but the slot fish are appropriate eating size to feed a family of 6-8 and are less likely to contain toxins (i.e. mercury, etc.) from multiple migration seasons (i.e. Cheasapeake Bay). The rationale for a trophy tag is that it enables every angler to keep one true trophy fish per year, and in order to get a trophy tag for next season, the angler would be required to complete information about size (wt and length), location, and how fish were caught. This info could be then be used to track trophy fish. I do like grilled/baked striper, but come on how many people can really eat more than 1 keeper per day? I think it's much better to take a picture and release the fish to fight another day.

"Friggin easy" may have been the wrong choice of words. How about "too friggin easy to deplete the fishery". I rarely see any keeper size fish thrown back- rarer yet is a day I don't see a half dozen close to keeper size fish floating by me- (probably a result of idiots running back to tackle box to get a measuring tape, turn the measuring tape over because he' is holding it backwards, hold the fish up a few more times, look for camera and then after not being able to squeeze out an extra inch because there's too many gawkers- toss it back) If you're going to take a picture, be prepared, be close to the water, be gentle and for Gods sake-smile.

You know what might make the most sense-althoughI would hate to see it- is a "season" Although the only ones who would break the rule are pretty much the same ones breaking them now.

Yes Joe it is not easy for me. I however think it has to do with luck! I don't have any. I have been blessed with bad luck since the day I was born. It only makes me try harder. I am not too worried about the 2 fish limit. I know a few who have done it day after day but not many. I think the authorities are over estimating the catch which is a good thing. Surfcasters as a whole are not doing the damage, except for the ones that are poaching and abusing.

I have to say I am enjoying this back and forth banter with you. It is refreshing!! :angry:

I have seen keeper sized fish floating dead in the water. Many at one time. I have always thought it was boaters highgrading. I don't even want to think that a surfcaster could do such things!! :angry: but you can bet your a$$ that if I see it I am on top of it like no tomorrow.

Why would you think we need to make the regs tougher now that the population is back?

When they were almost gone, I was all for tougher regs. Now they are back in awesome numbers, and we have had the current limit for the last 4 years. Why would we make it tougher??

Enjoy it. Keep what you want, release what you want.

Ever hear of a bubble? I'm telling you it's peaking and gonna be heading the other way-Add pressure of fishing and pressure on baitfish and it problematic.

I think I've heard this tune before :angry:

ok here my $.02.Think about how many times you go fishing for striper in a year.Now think about how many times you go and don't catch a keeper.I'll use my self as a templet.(avarege to advanced angler) I went fishing around 30 times last year.I took home about 10 keepers all year.I only realesed 1 keeper,and 4 of these fish were caught on 2 diferant days.I still had fun,got some fish for the table and broke no rules.Now tell me is that so bad.

If you think the regs arn't right,take along a fishing log,write down every trip and the fish you caught and think about how many fish are out there.I'll bet you my first 50#er you don't kill more than 20 fish all year without breaking the law.(unless your a charter capt.)most folks don't fish enough to make a big dent in the population we have now.

And I wouldn't wory about fishing out the breading population,the polusion will do more harm than the fisherman.Maybe you should be bitching about that insted of shooting your self in the foot next time you see some one catch a 30"fish

>>>>>And I wouldn't wory about fishing out the breading population,the polusion will do more harm than the fisherman.Maybe you should be bitching about that insted of shooting your self in the foot next time you see some one catch a 30"fish<<<<<

Huh? I think you been eating too much mercury tainted fish

how's that?

I'll take less. Thanks. But that's my business and what you do is your business. All I said is i think the regulations are lax and the limits right now aren't there. Several years ago I saw these huge schools of herring and pogies and I see less every year. When the limit was 36" I caught a ton of fat fish in the 28-34 inch class- Now I see a lot of skinnier, weaker fish.... I'm done with my rant, it's my opinion i know it's not going to change anything. I'll lighten up. The end.

I think your beef is with the herring regs.I'll agree that there are alot less herring to go around now.but tightening the striper regs. is'n going to help the herring.

if any thing we need to remove some of the bigger stripers

and get rid of the gill netters who catch thousands a day

you herring number do seem low from yrs. past

but then again thing go in cycles

so who really knows

bob :angry:

Ya know what confuses me is I fish in the ME/NH border the river divides both in Me its 1 fish from 20-26 and one over 40 in Nh its 2 over 28 inches...I put my boat in ME and from my understanding its where u put your boat in determines which law...but then when I go home its back over into NH...very confusing it would be nice to have consistancy in the requirements

Ya know what confuses me is I fish in the ME/NH border the river divides both in Me its 1 fish from 20-26 and one over 40 in Nh its 2 over 28 inches...I put my boat in ME and from my understanding its where u put your boat in determines which law...but then when I go home its back over into NH...very confusing it would be nice to have consistancy in the requirements

ok here's what you do,go to the neerest police station(dosn't matter witch state) and have the chief explain the law as he sees it.Then have him sign a letter stating that he has read you the laws.If that's not good enough for the other state cops they can fight it out.It's not your falt,they need to communicate.

With groundfish the bag limit and size limit rules depend upon where you land the fish or where you are inspected with the fish on board

I think the same principles would probably apply to striped bass.

For example, I could leave from Beverly, MA, and go groundfish on Georges Bank (which doesn't have a recreational bag limit for cod). However, if I try to bring more than 10 cod back thru the Gulf of Maine and am boarded in the Gulf of Maine or are inspected at the dock in Beverly with more than the Gulf of Maine bag limit, the MA Environmental Police are not going to pay any attention to my prostestations that I cought the fish on Georges Bank. I could land my 11+ Georges Bank cod at a southern Cape Cod port.

So, if this logic is applied to stripers if you land fish in Maine, or are boarded by Maine Environmental Police in Maine waters, your onboard fish probably should conform to the Maine rules. The same logic would apply to the NH EP don't you think? Personally I wouldn't count on trying to explain that I launched my boat in a different state.

The individual states set the rules for bag and size limits for striped bass don't they? But the state allocations are set by the Atlantic States Fisheries Management Commission. The states then try to set their bag and size limits so they won't overshoot their allocations.

I know each state uses other criteria also. I onced asked Paul Diodati why MA didn't use slot limits such as Maine did. He replied that there were two reasons. First he believed that if the slot limits were the same as the Maine limits, MA would need to have a closed season for stripers in order to stay within it's allocation. He didn't want recreational anglers in MA to have a closed season on stripers. He thought we should be able to fish for them when they were available.

Second, he said that using the recreational 8% mortality figure for caught striped bass, he thought it was best, for the bass stock, if anglers could take two fish at a reasonable size and then statistics showed that many of us turned to target a different species or went go home for the day with out two fish.

I think the 8% mortality figure takes into consideration some poaching and some catch and release mortality. But I'm not positive about that.