• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tattoobob

heading to new hampshire

18 posts in this topic

i just bought a new st croix 6 wt. to do some trout fishing while i'm up there. i figure that while i'm there for this family reunion that i have to go to i may as well make the best of it. and catch some of those huge trout they have up there. and it was a good reason to talk the wife into me buying a new outfit

bob

:lol:

Hey Bob,

Nice choice. Which model did you get? I bought a St. Croix Imperial travel rod a few years ago for a trip to Colorado. Nice carry on size. It's the IFT906. I figured the 6 wt was a good choice for a wide range of fishing. I didn't really want to by two trout fly rods at those prices. I've caught some pretty hefty fish...up to 4-1/2lbs on that rod without any difficulty.

Hope to hear a good report from NH when you're back....I'd be very interested.

Where in NH will you be fishing? Should be good from the middle of the state up. The fish in Squam Lake, which I fish a fair bit, are still keying on insects and the hex mayfly hatch has just begun. Be warned though: a lot of the rises at the moment are to tiny dark midges, size 18-22.

i'm heading to the top of new hampshire berlin, whitefield

thanks for the advice on flies.

the rod is a st croix premier CLA456 4 piece. i hope i'm happy with it

i hate buying stuff that i can't test first

bob ;)

St Croix seldom disappoint.

If you are based in Berlin, the upper Andrescoggin is the best option. It has everything. You can fish streamers on a sink line at dawn and dusk for browns, nymph the fly-only section at Erroll, cast poppers for smallmouths. There's a store in Erroll, L.L. Cote, that's a good place to get information. The CT Lakes are also worth a trip: people give up on them a bit at this time of year, but the dawn and dusk fishing can be very good. Lake Francis has some nice browns, 3rd CT lake some very nice rainbows.

Look forward to your report.

i was just playing with my rod,

and reel it just got here and i'm

putting it together. i was getting

nervous it wasn't going to be here

in time to leave tomorrow. thanx

for the tips

bob ;)

hey, 7/10/04

just got home from the mountains really

nice up there, stopped at a fly shop/hardware

store they gave me some advice on what flies

were working. i got a fishing lic. ouch 53

bucks. we drove around quite a bit looking for the best spot finally found it at the foot of

a dam, down a dirt logging road 3 miles. i caught 2 brookies and 12 smallies a couple of huge chubs (shinners) nice day arived at 4pm and left around 7:30pm. the wife made ma leave because it was getting dark and we hadn't eatin or found a place to stay. so we found a nice motel and jumped in the hot tub and went for a swim. around 9:30 we went next store and

got a bite to eat i had a great time and we will be going back this summer

post-13-1089573280_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! Great Bob!!!

Were you the only one fishing?

Looks like a great spot!!!

yes i was the only one there

not many people there were

there to fish. there is so much

to do there

bob ;)

WOW Bob nice pics!! How's it feel out there fly fishing all by yourself?? A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT comes to mind. So much peace and one on one with nature. VERY COOL!! ;)

Nice stuff Bob.

Glad to see you're enjoying the summer in a variety of ways.

Always enjoy reading about your adventures.

My salt fishing has been very limited this month due to domestic issues, as I have only been out a couple times.

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

guy,

i haven't forgot you, i am going

up there for a week, the last week

of this month and was hoping you

could make it up there. it's the week

that is in july and august. pm me and

let me know

bob ;)

Nice area up there Bob, Watch out for moose. I only paid $46 for fishin and huntin..... Oh yeah I'm a resident. :lol: Enjoy.