• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nicky1979

pike fishing?

21 posts in this topic

I want to catch a Northern Pike before this summer's end. What are the top waters in MA for this fish? I know Mass wild life has info, but I wanted to hear your opinions. I will be fishing from a small boat. Any help is appreciated.

I've never caught one in MA but I here there are some in upper charles river.

Try the Concord River. Back when I used to fish there alot, I used to put in at the Bedford launch. I have caught pike there up to 9lbs and 34 inches on sluggo type baits and dog walking topwaters. My Dad and I have caught quite a few nice northerns there since the late 1980's. I can honestly tell you that I havent fished there since spring 2001. So things may be different now? I am sure that there are probably more people boating there than ever, but hopefully some enforcement may happen soon there if the Great Meadows NWR gets to enforce its proposed management plan?

It is a tough bite because the place gets so pounded by anglers, but the fish are there and they are a big and full if you hook into one. My best advice would be to try and fish it during the week. I used to go there at the crack of dawn, but believe it or not, I have caught most of my pike from the hours of 9-11 am.

You're gonna have one hell of a time catching a pike this time of year. The water is to damn warm. Any pike that you catch right now is purely by accident. Pike prefer the water to be 40-45 degrees. When it gets warm like it is now they are very sluggish and wont eat your bait unless you cast it right into their mouth and even then they won't take it half the time. If you want to get some pike your best bet is to wait until winter and go ice fishing with HUGE shiners, i'm talking 8-12 inches long. But if you don't want to go ice fishing, pike fishing is also very good just after the ice melts and the water is still very cold. Good luck.

try the lake in natick/framingham, in dont know how to spell the lakes name, so i wont slaughter it by trying,,it starts with a coti,,,,, upper charles has em too...just check the mass wildlife web site for the towns and lakes that are stocked.i have caught pike at spy pond off rt2.

Lake Cochichuate

There is also Lake Attitash in Amesbury

I have to disagree about not being able to catch pike this time of year. I have caught plenty of pike in the month of August.

Pike are a cold water fish, that's a fact. Why do you think that most bait shops only sell pike bait in the winter? Also all the record pike are caught in the winter. You may catch some now but not anywhere near as many and they will be much smaller than the ones you catch when the water is cold. The best place for pike and muskie is Pontoosuc Lake in Pittsfield, also South Pond in brookfield is very good.

Sorry big guy, can't help. I saltwater fish hence the term SURFCASTER.COM. Maybe a fresh water site could help you out more.

Plum Crazy Posted on Aug 4 2004, 06:56 PM

Sorry big guy, can't help. I saltwater fish hence the term SURFCASTER.COM. Maybe a fresh water site could help you out more.

Hey cut the guy some slack he asked a simple question. That's no way to treat a fellow member. He's been around a lot longer than you. were's your manners? thank GOD you didn't ask that question it would have been alright Im sure.

Sorry big guy, can't help. I saltwater fish hence the term SURFCASTER.COM.  Maybe a fresh water site could help you out more.

Uh, PC, isn't this the freshwater forum?

I don't think that was anything insulting at all. She did say sorry and was just pointing out the fact that this is a salt water site and he may have better luck finding quality information at a site dedicated to fresh water. This is a fresh water section but this site is by far a SALT site.

I don't see you helping out at all anyway. This thread is about pike, not picking on other people and giving them attitude. So where are your manners?

I also recommend Lake Cochituate. I don't fish there too often now but I know people that have pulled out many decent pike out of there.

Scoober-

You could not be more wrong. As Lloyd Christmas once said, "I was way off." You are Lloyd.

The defendant in this case said, and I paraphrase, "Stick freshwater fishing in your ear." That is what I inferred at least. My inferences are usually dead on. Not cool.

Sorry big guy, can't help. I saltwater fish hence the term SURFCASTER.COM.  Maybe a fresh water site could help you out more.

I guess people who fish for carp and state it, are not welcome here in this site by some members. It is known that there is a dislike between carpers and saltwater fisherman. I didn't meat to provoke any reactions, though. Sorry, Plum Crazy but that's not the first time you wrote something like this.

Scoobe, sometimes not saying anything is better. (not talking about you) :D

How can freshwater fisherman not be welcome if there is a forum called freshwater fishing???!!! Look I might razz you about fishing for carp but I'm really just goofing around. There are lots of pike in the Conneticut river by the way and you could probably find a camp ground to stay at near there and make a weekend of it. I do think there are certain people who post just to post with no information or entertainment value at all. Oh well it is an open forum. Freedom of speech.

I still can't understand why you would fish for carp with 15# blues off of Halibut Point! Use a freshwater rod and use your imagination. Carp with Teeth!

I love freshwater when I can't get to salt!

I've picked up a few pike in August but mostly in deep water cold lakes when I go camping in ME.

I will have pics soon of a few small mouth and (I think) a small pike from my last ME trip.

I am not sure if it was a pike or a pickerel. Had teeth and was somewhat skinny. Neither are listed as species in the lake so it's hard to tell until I get the pics back, refresh my memory and then do a comparison. Had such a week I forgot what the fish looked like by now!

Lake Attitash does get warm and I am not sure about the other small lakes around here. It's worth a try just to get out on the boats and fish. Ask some of the local bait shops as well. Merrimac Sport in Merrimac MA is right off Lake Attitash, the guys there can tell you.

Leave us a report when you've caught one - get a pic if you can!

Nicky try lake Quinsigmond in Worcester Mass . It has Pike & Tiger Musky and it also has lake Trout. It’s a nice lake to fish. It’s also quite a long lake plenty of area to fish and you wont be crowded Good Luck

Surfcaster:

If you have a pic of that fish your referred too, please post up a pic. Between all of us here, I bet we could make a positive ID on that toothy fish you caught.

as far as pike not being caught in the summer I beg to differ. Over the past week or two me, my buddy and his brother have been getting quite a few between 30-37 inches in 90 degree heat consistenly. Not to mention all the others we lost.

yeah I also lost one in the Merrimack river up by Lawrence on a rubba worm. Bit right through the line after I hooked it. Got a good look at it though and say it was in the ten pound range.