• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Winthrop 9/1

13 posts in this topic

Launched out of my backyard around noon and started trolling the tube over to the water tower and then to Deer Island. First bass was right away at 32" and fat. Follwed by loads of schoolies. The action died and I went over to the Island and it was loaded with boats. It was like a zigzag. I guess a lot of people had called in sick to work today. When the outgoing came most of the boats left. It was like Christmas in September. Slam, bam thankyou man bass were everywhere! As fast as I could rig a worm on the tube and my rod was zinging. I could here comments from the boaters, "He's on again", "Whats he using, a kayak?", "Hes crazy to be out here". I grinned and released another bass 34". It was non stop for a 1/2 hour and then poof they were gone. The north wind kicked up and I had to hug the wall. The chop came up and I trolled thru it. Bang again. Again a boat comes by as I am being towed the opposite way. He hooks up on his tube and his drag was loud. I released the 36" bass that I scored and I watched as that guy battled this fish. He got it in close and it was HUGE. He took a measure of 52". If it wasn't 50lbs it was close. I stayed in this area for another 2 hours, scored fish in the mid to upper 30's but not the big monster. I went back over to the tower and there were lots of fish. Mostly schoolies with an occasionial keeper. I ran out of worms and went to the fly. I switched from crease flies to chart. clouser. Nothing hitting on the cast. Man do I stink at casting. I trolled the flie and hooked up with a bass around 30" but this bass was not normal. The best way to describe it was that its head looked like a Mahi Mahi. It was round and very funny looking. I can't wait to get my camera back. After 6 hours of fishing I decided to head home.

When the prediction was made that we will see bass in big numbers all over they were right!

Nice report. That's great you were into so much action. I am surprised you let the boat guy catch the big one, I guess it is good that you share :o You definitely need the camera, we want to see the mahi bass.

great report ridler, casting that fly rod is tough

i even took a class and it's still tough but i need

to learn it so i am giving it my best shot

bob :o

Ridler-

Fuji FinePix in trade for one of your spare yaks......

-E

Just one kayak left. I hope these kayak companies start producing some winners.

Old buy a kayak and join in on the action! lol

It's tought to cast with a little wind. I need a sinking line maybe 350 grain. I heard that can help when you have some wind. That north wind that comes thru deer island leaves you with little protection. I am getting better just need to practice more.

If you guys could have seen this "Mahi Mahi bass" it was too funny. The only way of telling it was a bass by the stripes. I swear it was a cross breed. If there is one there is more. I am going to search the web and see if there were any reports over the years of this. The nostrils were on the round part of the head. There was like no lip.

Riddler -

Sounds like you had a terriffic Day. Wish i had the opportunity to play. I am heading so far North the my cabin in VT that neither the touroids nor my pager can bother me this weekend. I hope to sit back and chill on the water in my Yak if perchance a fish notices........<*(((((><.... all the better :o

Where ever you go watch, your back. If we can expand from last weekends caos be careful. Soon the waters will be ours again! If you require fly casting lessons I am available, week and am interested in some night yaking :fish: .

Until then...

Catch me on the Fly.

Lady Di

Sounds to me like you have been drinking"Mahi/Mahi" juice

while fishing in your kayak!!! LOL!!!

:o

That fish looks like it was caught off Seabrook :o

Lady Di,

Where do you go in VT and where do you fish? I live in Vermont and try to fish the North Shore,MA whenever my job and money allows. I also need to learn how to fly fish. I mostly fish Champlain from shore. Been looking into getting a kayak for a couple years. If I can just pull the trigger.

thanks