• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Winthrop AREA 51 big bass on patrol 9/3 12am-5am

26 posts in this topic

While others sleep around Winthrop, we were fishing. And was it worth it!

We had plans to launch a mile from the Fauns and work our way over. We didn't have to go far as Area 51 continued to be the big bass area this year. No wind, moonlight, slight swell made this trip awesome. I am happy to report that Tom scored a beautiful 45" fish on a trolled eel shortly after take off. All I heard was, "Holy Crap" from Tom after he was towed around. I didn't see the size of it until I went to his opposite side. Tom was excited and so was I. After a pic and release we went back to trolling the eels. About a minute after, my rod was dancing and I was on for the fight. 42" and a very fiesty fish. This action continued for another 2-3 hours as we brought in a dozen fish from 37" to 42". We had many huge hits and misses as big bass fought for the rights to the eel.

The weeds were heavy on the outgoing and made fishing this same area impossible. It was hard trolling away from this area to get to cleaner water to present the eel but found more fish in the upper 30's not far away.

:o

post-38-1094235303_thumb.jpg

Your killing me! nice work.

Jeff are you going out tomorrow night--I got nothing of substantial size today (although i did catch a 35" -36" blue) in Manchester-to much crap in the water--- saw the fist few blitzes though...I'd like to try Winthop one of these nights-

Joe thats a monster blue! How was the blitzing? Do you have the 120 on the water yet? Fish Riders baby!!!!!!!!

The smiles in the pictures really do tell the story.

Great job guys!!!

OK<

So where is Area 51 for us not informed people. I am sorely impressed that I did not go out tonight. Packing for VT..

Need I say, have a great weekend. Your off to an amazing start.

WOW!

Catch me on the FLy

Lady Di :o

Jeff -

Thought I'd attempt to post a pic tonight. Not sleeping well these last few nights worried about my father and other extended family members that live in Abaco Bahamas. Don't know if you have noticed as you cruise the weather channel, Marsh Harbour got smacked hard by Francis today. The Eye sat and thrashed for a few hours. No word. All communications are down.

My pic is of my barracuda caught off my property this spring. She wasn't big but she put up an outragious fight. Cool pic huh!

Trying to brighten my night awaiting word. Be Well Everyone.

Lady Di

post-38-1094268136_thumb.jpg

Man those teeth will give me bad dreams for a while.

I have one on my wall staring at me all the time :o

post-38-1094298558_thumb.jpg

jeff,

I am heading outonight, I was trying to decide whether I should head to castle rock in marblehead or winthrop... you are kind of making my choice easier... can any of these ( I mean " Your " ) areas be accessed by shore... ie the beaches at deer island parking lot or winthrop beach.. ?

Yes it was a huge blue-surprisingly it didnt put up much of a fight until it was a few yards from kayak- I thought it was a lazy striper. Blitzing was spastic. When i caught the blue--- fish were blitzing all around me- I'm thinking of ditching tube and worm and going to fly, poppers and plastics.

Fished Manchester Harbor for three hours this morning on an incoming tide after slack. Lots of weeds in the water, water temps arpund 70 - 72; nice and warm for wet wading.

Fished to the chanin of islands back and forth a few times casting flies, buut nobody home. I crusied around looking for fish in the flats and learned several new things:

- determine type of structure on the fish finder

- lots of different types of structure in the flast area ranging from eel grass to sand and hard pack

- several points with extended mussel beds pointing nto the harbor.

Considered giving up when paddling thru a sandy area with water depth of two feet. I watched a striper over three feet slowly cruise by me. Paddling a little further I almost hit a schoolie who dart a few feet and slowly cruised looking for food. Found smalll pods of bait fish, probably tinker macs swimming in the eel grass.

Wind picked up and I headed back into the harbor. Stopped at Smth's Point (gray house on the left on the way out of the harbor). Spotted more tinkers and a few feet past them aschool of bass in three feet of water and bright sun. I slowly rolled on the boat, dropped my feet in the water and just before I could cast a fly another schoolie swims by, spots me and continues on. I wish I could say I hooked up, but my fly fouled (typical for the day).

Heading back in the morning for flats and island hoping with a fly rod. I expect cooler weather tomorrow.

I did find out the launch ramp is very steep and slick at dead low so be careful.

jeff,

I am heading outonight, I was trying to decide whether I should head to castle rock in marblehead or winthrop... you are kind of making my choice easier... can any of these ( I mean " Your " ) areas be accessed by shore... ie the beaches at deer island parking lot or winthrop beach.. ?

I would say fish the harbor side of Deer Island. You will have better protection there then the ocean side. Maybe in a couple of hours it might get better. I just came off the water and it was bad. It stinks for me because the fish are there but the chop and the green weed makes it impossible to troll.

jeff, you and tom kick butt congrats

i gave one of your reels a good work

out last night as well but nothing of size

bob :o

I have so many reels I had to get rid of some. LOL as I just bought another but needed it. I bought the 535 gs for another trolling setup and a 7' extra heavy St.Croix. The rod is rated from 1-6oz with a fast action tip. I had it out today on some bass in the low 30's and it was great.

Nice job Gumbo! You definatly deserve that fish! Im glad to see the curse has been lifted from Ridler...he actually caught some nice ones in your presence!