• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Winthrop Area 51 9/10

22 posts in this topic

Launched out of backyard at 5:30 pm. The north wind was humming! I had not been out in a few days and I needed to get out there. I found protection on the shore line but that wind at the strong point was a 25 gust easy. In the cove it was easier. I trolled the tube and banged some schoolie in the 24" range. I saw a paddler in the distance I thought it was Mcattardo. He was a fellow name John who Mark and myself met on Monday as we were fishing. He came over and we started trolling 51 back and forth and stopping and casting surface plugs at some vervous water. The wind started to calm down and we headed to the open water to troll. It was dusk and IMO prime times. I just bought a new set up of a Penn 535gs and St. Croix and I was wondering how this would handle big fish...there is a god......wham.........The reel was now singing and line peeling out fast. I grabbed the rod to turn the fish and I was off on a ride and going in circles. After a nice battle I got it in close. It was a monster. John comes paddling over and says did you land it. I said yes. He said I new there was something good going on when you were going in circles without paddling. lol. I hoisted and measured and it was 47". Possibly close to 40lbs but a slob anyways. That was the longest fish ever for me. I handed John my cheap kodak and he took some pics for me. I released with a nice shot of water in my face from the tail. We trolled for a little longer and we switched to eels. Banged another fish at 40" and it was time for me to head back. I gave John my last two eels as he was staying. I would have stayed to but needed to come back home. Man this area has been awesome to me for monster bass. As Gumbo said, " You live in Disneyworld for Stripe Bass". I have to agree with him on that. Pics coming in morning.

John will register here soon.

Nice fish, better that you released. I'm not even going to look at your pictures. I don't want to go back to tube and worm, it's screwing up my fly fishing. I must resist..must resist...dammit I don't think i'm going to be able to...I need to catch another cow....must resist...

That was the longest for me in fishing for Bass from shore or sea. It didn't have the belly the 40lber had but still a great fight.

Wow -

Once again riddler I'm impressed. Could you inlighten me? Where is area 51?

Better yet, are you going fishing this weekend, tommorrow AM etc????

Let me know. When/Where.

Catch you on the Fly

:bluefish: Lady Di

Riddler, you need to publish a book and get your own web page. No BS, I bet you could making a living on this. Do the "tour" thing, sell the "The Riddler" t-shirts, have a "Riddler" version of a yak. Etc.

You are at that level.

Kudos.

Jeff-

John here. Took your advice, and registered. I can't thank you enough for the eels! :banana:

slowed down for a while after you left.....I think the tide was slack around 9pm......nothing on the first eel you caught yours on, but around 10pm I got slammed on the 2nd!

I was woefully underprepared for landing a fish in the kayak. No gaff, boga or anything! never thought I'd catch one that big in a kayak. My guess is it was around 35 lbs.....I'm 6 ft tall and it was as long as my leg, and nice and fat.

Happened just like you said....a little love tap and then 2-3 seconds later, SLAM.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be back down there next weekend. Hope to see you there.

Looking forward to the pix tomorrow.

John you made it! Welcome to the site. I am happy you hooked up with a nice fish. Trolling eels and tube and worm baby! And you thought you would never score one that big off the yak. I love it.

I never expected to catch anything sizeable either. I was very happy targeting schoolies on light tackle. Then I found yak fishing forums, met new people, bought a bigger boat (first SOT)........yeah, I'm addicted.

where do you guys usually go when there's an east wind? is there another place to put in, in winthrop that is more favorable when the winds are coming from the east?

You can go to the inner harbor and find protection, by launching from the public ramp in Winthrop. The east wind is still a tough paddle getting to spots there. Weymouth back rivers can also be productive. I like these areas in the Spring and late Fall.

Jeff,

Nice fish. Now I know where the fish are hiding. Fished Manchester for awhile this morning before the wind picked up; nada. Spotted half-inch long bait in the water.

Spoke to guys in pwer boats; same luck. Everyone's talking about the poor fall run.

I agree with Joe. I followed Peanuts from Rockport all the way to Nahant last year starting on Sept. 27th and on thru the last week of October. The fall run has not even started yet. I am emailing a guy up in Nova Scotia right now to get a report. I bet they have not even left there yet.

The fishing gods have been very kind to me. Another good night for a quick two hour trip. 4 eels. One fish 46" and fat another 37" fat. Good release on both. Had a nice hit on the third eel and then it committed suicide by wrapping around the leader. The forth eel also committed suicide by the same method. :banana: And the fall run has not even started yet! I am happy to say that the new smoothie drag worked great. Like the drag says smooth and no studder.