• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Guest ridler72

Winthrop 9/27

25 posts in this topic

Launched at 11am and fished till 3:30. I covered a lot of ground today and found new holes to fish at. :lol: Trolled 51 with the tube and caught mostly schoolies lost a good fish after a brief battle. On and off, off and on, off again. Trolled out at the sisters and the place was mobed with boats. Did a couple of passes and nothing. Went trolling around and in deep water up to 30' and found a mound of structure way out. It was less then 50 yards of good structure and I spent the whole time here as my fishfinder was loaded. First fish was 30" and strong. Puked up a small lobster maybe 4" long, I laughed as the lobster kicked away. It was still alive. I am sure it got hit on the way down. I stayed here for 2 hours of constant hook ups. Biggest was 39" and shot off like a rocket. Bounced a 1oz bucktail on the bottom and hooked up with a couple of bass at 32" and 34". This is a great spot and one I will visit again. I wish I could find a bucktail orange and black.

Highlights today was the seal that followed me around. I think when I was releasing fish he swooped in for the kill. The bass didn't seem spooked as the seal hung around. Also outfishing boats again.

Water temp today was 65 degrees and steady thru the afternoon. Sunny and pleasent. No birds working and no blitz

Jeff you seem like a guy who’s willing to make some of his own gear and I think I’ve seen posts where you mentioned using a fly rod. A suggestion I have for you is to go out and buy a cheapo fly tying kit, some orange and black bucktail, and some bare leadhead jig heads with only the hook. You probably see where I am going with this;-) Sure folks will say don’t waste your time with the cheapo stuff and get a real vice etc. etc. but the bottom line is you can get a decent kit with a decent assortment of tying materials and a few basic tools and go out and buy the expensive stuff if you really get into it. You‘ll have your orange and black jig in the water the next day and also have a way to add “flash” to other lures you may use as well as a good way to pass the winter months by learning to tie your own fly patterns. Many saltwater fly patterns are just big streamers and pretty easy to tie.

If not let me know and I’ll have one tied up for you in a few days…. Payment will be a map to area 51;-);-)

Glad you had a good day and that it was a seal and not Artimus!!!

Check this out!

OMG - $45 for a lure? I think a dime store rubber toy with a nice 7/0 hook would do just as well.

Imagine that 'feeling' you'd get when you break off one of those $40.00 lobster lures!!! At that cost, you'd be better off using the 'real' thing!!! One gadget I'd love to try is the underwater camera ... when we ice fish on Lake of the Woods (MN) in January, it's fun to see all those jumbo walleye swimming by our jigs. I'd kill to see and record stripers underwater.

Imagine that 'feeling' you'd get when you break off one of those $40.00 lobster lures!!! At that cost, you'd be better off using the 'real' thing!!! One gadget I'd love to try is the underwater camera ... when we ice fish on Lake of the Woods (MN) in January, it's fun to see all those jumbo walleye swimming by our jigs. I'd kill to see and record stripers underwater.

Thats a good point. I mean how much for a chix loster? Get one of those 3.99 a pound. Hell it will be a big bass that takes it.

Glad to hear someone got fish today. I was skunked for the first time using the tube and worm.

I launched at 10:45am off of yirrell beach and trolled over to and in front of the sisters. After I passed the last pile, several fish started to surface about 30 yards off my bow. As quick as the fish appeared they disappeared.

I talked to a couple of boaters and they had little success as well. Ridler you are the man!!

Big D you had to of seen me. Yellow Bananna Kayak with a goofey hat. I am a funny looking fellow who always smiles. I dont smile when I dont get fish. Were you in a small center console with your son? If so we talked.

Ridler I've used a large fluorescent orange freshwater roostertail , replaced hooks and taken off spinner and used it as a bucktail- was actully using it as jig to catch squid but found stripers were whackin the hell out of it.

No that was not me, I was in a grey sit kayak. I talked to that dude twice, second time his son was passed out on the front bench with his sweatshirt over his head.

I did see a yellow kayak launch from behind the sisters but I did not see where it went. It must have been you and that mysterious area 51 place.

I never saw you either.I got out to dear island around 8:30 and stayed there trolling T&B till about 12:45.I was the only boat trolling close to the dear island sea wall.I didn't do any better than the other boats just 1 8# blue and 1 15' striper.

i would have put that 4 inch lobster on my tube

back in the 1800's thats what they used for bait

if no one was around to see

bob :lol:

Just came back from the Elks as the fishing trip tonight on my friends boat was cancelled due to the wind. Stories from down the Elks yacht club were big bass inside the harbor the last two days. Also something large sending blue fish running for their lives today. Jimmy said a little smaller then his center console at 15'. :lol:

And he was sober telling us the story.

Hey Guys -

A fellow fly-fishing acquaintance/guide was out off of long island yesterday. He related that an extremely aggressive school of Blue fin in advance of the storm was chasing the blue fish. He and his party were able to put three in the boat.

Regarding a lobster pattern I use this Jim Murphy pattern. See the enclosed pic. I have been successful of late with this pattern. It is approximately, four inches in size. I have been experimenting with color and girth lately. Works effectively in lobster inhabited structure. If interested, I will break out the vice and tie a few for time and materials. Riddler, that goes for your orange and black wish name the hook size and the weight desired...

Catch me on the fly.

Lady Di

post-38-1096414646_thumb.jpg

Lady Di that is awesome. If your tying a few I will take one. I will trade you with a Santini Tube. LOL

yea looks like something a hippie chick would wear as an accessory

Cool fly, LD. Got to love those EC-413 jig hooks.I've been tying a bunch of different patterns on that hook trying to get some of my standards (Deceivers, Whistlers...)more snag-proof.

What 's the shell back material you used?

How do you work the fly?

Oh yeah...

Has anyone ever used a F/W Jig and Pig combo successfully on Stripers?

Best largemouth (and smallie) bait I've ever used.A big, HEAVY orange and Black/Brown weedless jig w/pork rind trailer.The crawfish shaped pork, maybe.

I think I'm going to give that a go next time.....

another fly possibility: a clouser in those colors with no flash material. (that's an easy one)

Di, I believe that is a fly by Rich Murphy

(unless there is a Jim that makes the same type)

the shell back is made from a material called Siliskin

Hey Plug -

Thanks for the correction on Rich Murphy's name, his is one creative guy. I enjoy his instruction and guidance at UFT.

This pattern has been a blast to fish with this year. For those who are curious, fishing with this pattern requires a drop to the bottom with an ocassional "swim" It was designed to swim backwards just like the real McCoy then settle back to the bottom provided their is appriopriate structure. The siliskin is very pliable and the loose tail mimics that of a lobster.

The only problem is hooking into weeds and rocks.

Anyone fishing tonight? Looks like the outgoing tide and wind maybe in our favor.

Driving up to Pebble Beach.

Catch you on the Fly gentlemen.

Lady Di :bluefish: