• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
KrisL

10/9-10/10?

33 posts in this topic

Sorry I missed you guys today. I ended up putting in at Back Beach in Rockport, trolled T&W up and down between Back Beach and Halibut Point. No fish, didn't even see anything on the FF. Good workout paddling in that wind, though!

Stopped by Niles Beach on the way, after sunset. Too windy to bother putting the yak in the water, so just waded. One striper, about 24", fat, on a 5" storm shad.

Cheers,

--EH

Morning everyone -

As we saw the last of Riddler and Company paddling hard for through the swells for Manchester yesterday Gary and I drifted for the straits. We tucked in behind and had moderate success. Typical averages for every five stripers caught by Gary on the Tube I caught 1 on the fly. Between us Gary caught on good size keeper in the 34 to 36" range. When the tide changed we drifted/paddled back to loblolly. At times the wind was fearce however, the change in tide damped the swells down. As we neared the last point into loblolly we ran into a school of Blues. We managed to hook into one a peice. The ride was on... Surf, Wind and a humming reel....Coool Running. Gary kissed his good bye for another day Mine came home for dinner. After our albiet encounter, we were push/pull a third of the way back to the straits. We both commented on how the world, worries, even the treacherous weather and water conditions fall away when a fish is on the line.

Because we were paired, knew our setting and had plenty of energy to tackle our extended journey back we were comfortable with our prediciment. We even shared stories of how each of us had taken risks in past. We also noted that because of those experiences we both let family know where we intend to put in, fish, estimated return, carry gps, hand radios and cellular phones.

Be well all of you. Great fishin.

I'm heading to RI today.

Catch you on the Fly

Lady Di

Lady Di and Gary, glad you hooked some fish; more than I can say for myself. I managed a nice two hour long siesta while doing couch duty yesterday afternoon after returning from fishing. :banana:

Way to go Lady Di!!! Glad you and Gary got into some fish. :banana: It was nice to meet you!! Lefty

Ahhh the beauty of fishing in October. I love it. A little tricky with the weather, fish are up and moving, cold winds just add to the experience. I won't be long before the yaks are stored and we are looking forward to May when the schoolies arrive. I had a great day on Saturday! My apologies to everyone for being late, it was a long ride. :banana: I wish I could have fished with the others for a while, as this is really my home turf, this is where I fish. Sure I may travel to fish with others, but 90% of the time that is where I am. That chop makes for difficult fishing, and with 7 boats you really need a lot of area to fish. I immediatly headed north up the coast looking for protection. Straightmouth island is a favorite area for me (5 fish over 40", all caught in the same spot). Lady Di convey the plans over the radio to me, but the idea of paddlin back and packing up to start all over didn't seem like fun. I was in calm water, no wind and catching some fish. Hope to catch up with some of you later. Totals for the morning were slim, 4 stripers, the largest was 34 inches, gave me a good tow and I savored every second of it. Diane joined me, as we discuss the paddle back to Loblollly. The wind was picking up and we were going to paddle right into it heading home. We took our time, found a school of blue fish and battled them in the rough stuff before heading in. Di was using here fly rod and I was using my light weight spinner, so the battles were long. Just another beautiful day on the water, I hope to get some more in.

Gary

Gary,

No problem with you fishing your favorite spot; especially now the days are few and far between.

O don't know if we should let off the hook since you were late, but I guess we will. :(

Winds howling in Lowell so I stayed home. I'm going to drop my boat off at a friend's house for winter storage and call it a season. :banana:

See you guys in the spring.

Rich

Glad I got to paddle with you a few times this year. I think your packing it in a little early. Yesterday afternoon was beautiful at Pebble, things calmed right down. I caught several small fish off the beach with surface plugs at sunset, but the yak stayed on my car. I was hoping to get out tomorrow morning as I have a dentist apt at 11, but the weather looks poor. Thats October for ya.

One last thing to ponder. The last 2 years I caught many fish in Oct. but as the month wore on they got smaller and smaller. Its almost like the schoolies are first to come and last to leave. It seems that many of us are catching schoolies, I hope its the beginning not the end!

Gary,

Yes, glad we got together this year for a few trips.

I can get my boat easily; just stored at afriend's house, but weekends are busy for the next few weeks including a trip to see Pats play the J-E-T-S!

I need to spend some time on a paper for a class; Gary, both of us are getting too old for school. You'd think we'd be smart enough by now.

I'm hoping the big girls are still around, but think they are offshore in deep waters hiding from the storms.

Good luck to you all fishing and I still may sneak out before the four lettered white stuff starts falling.

Rich