• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

RI Fish report

14 posts in this topic

If you find the peanuts, you will find the fish.

In the last 24 hours I've fished Napatree, Watch Hill, Weekpaug, Quonnie, Charlestown, and the West Wall in RI (and a few hours in Old Saybrook CT).

What was hot last week was dead. Dawn bite at the WW - nada (except for 2 blues). Q back pond - no bait, no fish. Watch Hill/Napatree, found a few in the back lagoon between the weeds, but they were not thick - no bait ocean side.

Finally found the birds, fish, and peanuts east of Weekpaug. Landed a few decent nice bass (28-32") - very feisty - on 4" pearl and 4" shad Storms. I thought for sure they were blues because they shook so much.

Schools were too far to cast to, but I found a little nook holding peanuts. If there are peanuts, the bass will eventually come to eat them.

As for Old Saybrook, the causeway was FULL of peanuts. Landed 2 15" bass, and 2 blues 15" & 25", before I decided go look for fish in RI.

My advice - if you don't see any peanuts in the water, you are fishing in the wrong place.

Good luck

Well I did not have luck yesterday either. Started at 1pm back of Quonny, moved to front and left nothing , drove to FPR nothing there , saw someone catch a schoolie. Moved over to Matunuck, E. Matunuck, WW, the pier back in the pond, nothing. Over to Black Point , nothing hazard ave nothing. Reports from the north still look promising with fish all the way up to Maine, I think its far from the end, if it even started in full speed yet.

Anthony

Charlie, any reports of any fish down there?

May take at rip to Pt Judith this coming weekend!!!

Could not make it there last weekend!!!

Thanks!!!

:banana:

Charlie you are a flip-flopper!!!

LOL!!!

:banana: B) :banana:

Ridler, no problems with parking at PJ. Not sure of what these NE winds are going to do. I was planning on going down tonight. Seas are said to be 6-9 footers, so I am not sure about my trip.

Anthony

Sorry Riddler, just saw the post. If you went, I hope you did better than I did. I saw one schoolie taken out of probably 50 guys. The weed made it tough, the surf made it crazy, and seeing the fish out past casting range made it frustrating.

I couldn't wait around till they moved in, but if someone had the time, those fish will eventually pin the bait against the shore.

If you are there when it happens, :banana:

Fished yesterday between Charlestown and Westerly for 11 stripers. No real size to any of the fish. Water temp is still 52 degrees with plenty of bait. I suspect there will be some fish to be had to about Dec. 10.

i was just on the train from the north shore into boston on the way to work when i noticed quite a large bait ball real tight splashing around in the saugus marsh...the bait did not look small but i couldnt get a good look...must have been somthing chasing them...stripers still around? i bet there were some there as it was close to that power plant...water was probably a bit warmer...

how did everyone winter? Iwas wondering if ther are any signs of fish down there. Any bait or stripers or blues or anything yet?