• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trapper

annisquam river

14 posts in this topic

have any of you yakkers tried the annisquam river and the estuaries? this could be a place to put in particularly during rough weather outside..........just a thought.......(every time i think i endanger the nation)

Trapper I posted the same suggestions once when bad weather was looming for the weekend and it was not received very favorably due to the amount of boat traffic present and lack of structure in the area. I don’t necessarily agree with this and also think the mouth over by the yacht club is a great spot to fish. Given some of the options other folks have to launch from and the boat traffic conditions on nice days I am not surprised yakkers do not spend much time here. I would like to find a nice launch over by the yacht club somewhere.

Guyton there are a couple places to launch for that area.Stone Pier off Concord St.and Corlis Landing.off Corlis Ave.Both are residents only parking I think.There is some great fishing there in season.For me its just too much tide and current for the yak.On weekends its impossible to fish there.For me Plum Cove beach is the closest I'll launch to the mouth of the river. Unless it's Jones Creek or the Little River.Lefty

I actually do not have as much experience in the area from the yak as I'd like but know allot of folks who fish there. I've heard of too many really nice fish being taken in the area from Wheelers point out to the the lighthouse to say the heck with this spot. The problem is that it's too easy for me to launch from White Beach and be right on top of things so I never head out that way. I have launched in the little river and do not consider this a prime spot and to get to where I would want to fish I would have to brave the boat traffic under the 128 bridge. Of course on bad weather days the boats are not as much of a factor.

Thanks for the launch info and perhaps next year I will get out over there.

For tonight it's down to the harbor to see if I can land another late season striper and then home to the TV to watch............. I won't jinx it ;-)

great schoolie action in the river...and the occassional big fish, but mostly small stuff...especially down in back of Nichol's candy...and not much boat traffic there either... you can launch from 128 right there on the stone pier

guyton, sorry did not get back to you earlier..........not too familiar with a launch site, at PISC meeting there were waders that did very well by the candy store on rt 128, there is also access at the greenbelt property just before the candy store, although very tidal.......i don't know if you could put in at the beaches on either side of the river or not, good for winter exploring i guess.........any luck in the harbor?

I have done the anni about a dozen times. More last year. Some of us park at the ballfield and launch. I dont recall what the streets are, I just know where it is at. I have had better fishing this whole summer in my area with huge bass so I realy did not have to travel far. Next year who knows??? I have trolled from the ball field all the way out to Halibut point and found fish from schoolie size to fish in the 20lb range. The biggest drawback is strong tides and a south to southwest wind, strong, can make a paddle back from halibut point to the ballfield impossible. Once I had to bail and leave yak behind by a seafood place and hitch a ride back to get the truck. This is the only place I have ever had to this. The South West over 10-15 paddling against that current, fugetaboutit.

I know there is big tautog in there from watching skin divers go down and pull them up when I was cruising by. Tautog love moving water and the anni along the rocks up to Halibut has lots of that.

Never had problems with boat traffic.

Jeff that beach at the ballfield is Plum Cove.Its on Washington St.I like to launch down river a little more at the U-mass lab.Nice little deep water harbor with plenty of structure and a couple little islands.Usually far enough away from river traffic.I've only flyfished this area but next year I'll kill it with the tube!!! Lefty

Lefty, the ball field Jeff is refering to is the High School. That canal really rips! The anniswam has produced many a monsters over the years, several people I know have taken 50# back in the day from the Anniswam, it teams with bait all summer long, especially the esteraries. But between the boat traffic and very strong current, it is difficult to fish. To be able to fish it correctly, it must be in the evening and plan around the currents. It can be dangerous by paddle power, especially from the RR bridge to the cut bridge. If you dump in this area, good luck getting to the side. Stone pier is a decent launch and so is Periwinkle lane off Wheeler street, but getting back to them with an out going tide will be demanding. I have launched from Plum cove and paddled to the mouth, but thats a couple of miles, and as far as I know, the UMass research site is illegal parking. One place that people should consider is Stage fort park. The rocks off the boulivard always holds fish and is protected. From the cut bridge to the tennis courts is very good fishing, I was spooled there! :( Anyway both ends of the river are very good spots to fish, as bait and current meet deeper water.

Why would anyone try to launch at the High school?That's asking for trouble!!I once suggested to Jeff he use The Lab in lanesville as an alternative and he said he had launched from the ballfield and went to Halibut Point.Jeff is a rock, but I doubt he paddled from the High School to Halibut.I assumed he meant the ballfield across the street from Plum Cove Beach. Maybe I misunderstood! My bad!!I fished the lab about 15 times a year for the last 20 years.Never a ticket ,never a warning nothing.Ive had the yak there 4 times.Put in on the labs side of the private beach.Parked right there in the lot.Before getting the yaks I fished the river 80% of the time and have caught plenty of nice fish there.Since the yaks I've fished it less.Put in at Sudbay's for the Little River. The ramp at Jonsey Creek.Corliss ramp off Corliss Ave.Youngs beach for Goose Cove.( big mistake).I dont go anywhere near the the bayside mouth too much tide and current.Before the sot I put in at the tennis courts and fished the cut to Stage Fort alot with my little sink.The sot is to big to take down those granite steps safely!For the harbor -The tavern-the Greasy pole-For the State Pier behind Americold.Niles beach And the Lighthouse(another mistake)Dollivers Neck for Hammond Castle and Cressy Beach.I fish with the Flyrod 90% of the time and might have had 10 Keepers on the fly this year 1 in the river.It wasn't till I started tubin that I caught keepers regularly.and outside of Deer Island most of those were from Magnolia to the West.Next year I will probably spend more time bayside than anywhere else and spend more time with the tube and worm.No need to leave the Island with that killer combo!!! :( Lefty

Lefty, Jeff would have to confirm, but earlier in the year (May) we were fishing the river and he mentioned launching from the ball field and fishing little river and the bridge. I have put in at the high school, as long as the tide is coming in you drift up and back down. But everyone agrees that the current in the river makes fishing very difficult, the only spot you get some calmer water is around lobster cove.

I agree with not leaving the island. The only time I did was to fish with others. Depending on which way the wind is blowing I am off Loblolly, off Back beach or off Plum cove. All offers excellent fishing and protection, I took fish over 40" at all three locations this summer. But its over for me now. I look forward to getting together with everyone in May when the schoolies start to show. Sept and Oct were a bust, but thats fishing. You never know.

Gary thanks for the help this year. Catch you on the water in the Spring.Lefty