• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Kerry concedes.......so will we?.......acceptance

17 posts in this topic

Man what a great season. :D Another year of kicking arse in the kayak! I launched day and night and put a ton of hours in. I was rewarded for my efforts. This summer far exceeded last year by a landslide. I found more big bass in skinny water then last year. Most of my big fish were caught mid-day or afternoon, hot and humid on the tube and worm. July, August and the first week of September showed bass in the 25lb+ range on a daily basis around Winthrop. Most caught on tube and worm. Eels were just as deadly at night. More productive on full moon nights. Trolling eels was something new to me and I am glad I took the suggestion. Bob you are the man! I used to say that fishing in 70 degree water during August around Winthrop isn't that prductive. I have since changed that. After catching 2 dozen bass over 30lbs in the Winthop area, largest being 41lbs I have since changed that theory. Just when I think I have things figured out the rules changed again. Next year would probally be the same. I am right on one thing. There was not an abundance of bait for bass to hit on. And that sent them to areas where lobsters and crabs are abundant.......behold...AREA 51! If this trend continues we will see more unhappy lobstermen but more happy kayakfisherman especially those who find the lobster havens.

Another thrill this year and gratification was turning people onto this sport or bring people to Winthrop to show them whats up. The trip was when the banged there best! I love that.

I have no complaints about gear. My Malibu Extreme took me over hundreds of miles and hours and got me back safe. The fish finder was perfect. I am still not sold on a GPS but open minded to see if there is one that is a little more simplier to operate on the water. What I want is a one touch system that can record hot spots on the touch of a button and record. I returned two models that I was not happy with.

I have seen my share of Striped Bass this year. I have seen healthy and lively to sick and dying. I am alarmed at the many bass that showed up in the spring with severe deformaties. Bacteriosis or bloody sores on most. Some with deformed heads or rounded, dialated eyes, wrotten tails, missing eyes etc......not good. The majority of these fish were caught up at Joppa Flats. It was in the spring...could have been holdovers from lakes or rivers or from the Hudson. We will never know unless they are tagged. I have not caught one tagged fish this year. Last year I caught three.

Who knows what next year will bring. I know now, if time allows me I will head back to the Mystic River to cast here and there. This is where I usually end and start in the spring. Maybe the 50lber will be lurking sometime. I do wonder if 51 was loaded with 50's and I missed. Who knows...for now I will take the 41lber and not complain.

I hope everyone enjoyed this season as much as me. I will state that the fall run weather hampered efforts to fish locally or travel. It was a let down.

Thanks to all who pour in info here to the kayak forum and keeping it alive.

We always need new people for next year.

Nice!

:(

post-38-1099519768_thumb.jpg

Thanks to you Jeff for a great job of moderating. I would have to say the kayak forum seems to have the least amount of BS and nit picking going on and I hope it stays that way. You’ve help turned me into a yak fishing addict and this forum has definitely broadened my horizon as to techniques I thought I’d never try again. I’ve had a tube in my tackle box for decades and have never had the luck I had T&W’ing in the Yak. It’s a great forum with a great bunch of folks in our online community and I look forward to meeting more of you in person over the next few seasons. I’ll be posting all my winter projects and sharing ideas for fly, lure and yak creations that will keep me busy during the off season.

….and for all you ice fishermen if you hear a strange scraping noise coming closer to you at high speed don’t worry it’s just a little ice board;-)

post-38-1099521730_thumb.jpg

It really was a great season. Im not totally throwing in the towel, but pretty much wrapping it up.

I had the chance to fish 6-7 new locations (with winthrop being one of my new found loves) and had the oppurtunity to meet a bunch of you. Thanks for sharing information, and passing along helpful hints.

I also want to throw a thank you out to Jeff...I learned a ton from him this year. Both on this site and on the water. Size of fish and quantity of fish definatly improved with Jeffs help. Thanks.

Well its time to retire my self to the man cave...lots of work to be done before the spring.

It aint over till the fat lady sings. Oh yeah she sang already :( Maybe on the North Shore but there's still fish down south!Like to get to Rhody some weekend for Shad, Blues or Bass before they're gone.I'll chase chains till ice comes.I dont ice fish it's to hard to hit those little holes with the flyrod.I dont mind driving to catch fish so the Carolina's or Virginia is possible.I cant give up!! So many fish so little time!!! :D Lefty

Yup, it certainly was a great (half for me) season. Couldn't have had it without Jeff's guidance. No more targeting those miniature schoolies, I'm now a tube snob. :(

I also gotta blame Jeff for making me switch to a sit on top. :D 2 minutes on his & I knew it was the way to go (for me anyway). I even got rid of my sinks.

I bought my T-140 to end the season on & while I like it, I'm probably gonna look at something different for next year. I also wanna add something small & light for quick trips.

It was nice getting to meeting some of you & hopefully we will hook up again next year.

Thanks Jeff, and all for the great info, tips & tricks.

Let's keep this forum hopping all winter,

Mark

post-38-1099536617_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jeff and all the other great guys I met this year while yak fishing. It is fun and helpful to fish with others and learn new techniques, explore new areas, and just enjoy seeing others get into good fish. I have not been out for many weeks now but I want to get out on freshwater for trout, broodstock salmon, and maybe even a monster pike! I also want to do some shore fishing at Wachusett Reservoir for lakers.

I don't anticipate changing my setup next year at all. I am very happy with my T140 and rigging. This winter I am going to work on tying flies. I started last year and did alright but did not spend enough time doing it. Then next year I hope to do some more flyfishing. I think the only way to get better at it and have success is to leave my other rods at home.

Great Job with the site Jeff. All the best stuff we saw at KFS with a local flare. I hope everyone appreciates the time and willingness to share and help others. I also had a great year, I just love being out there, and I am glad I had the oppertunity to share that with others. :(

Gary

Numerous contributors have brought this forum up to the next level.

Loved the pictures and stories.

Thankx to Ridler, I met PaHillBilly, a Maine resident like myself. We got together a few times to yak the salt and fresh.

Thankx to our "get together" in York, Maine, I found out that GM2 lived in the same town as I do. We also got together for a couple local trips.

Hoped the rest of ya enjoyed the York area, even though the bite was a bit off. We still had a nice day and a good time.

I couldn't be more pleased with the way this Forum has grown and matured.

Nice touch, Ridler!

Yes, definitely a great site. Glad I was able to join some of you guys fishing this year. Next, I hope to spend less time at the keyboard and more time fishing. I only boated two fish all season, SMB not much bigger than a clouser minnow plus a sassy 24 inch scholloe on a fly. :D Yes, lost several other fish.

Gumbo, leave the other rods home and you'll learn a lot about fly fishing.

Guyza, I still remember the "Bud Girls" we saw in the Whaler. :(

Jeff, you need to publish a book on T&W techniques; you da man!

Go Pats!

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the bud girls! Maybe the highlight of the season. Guyza, it doesnt matter if the bite is off when you got boats like that running around.

Well Gentlemen -

A Bud Girl I may not be....

but oooooooh fishin on a yak with a bunch of blokes like you ain't to shabby if I say so myself. :(

Everyday on the water I counted my self lucky. Having company made it all that more enjoyable. I too want to thank GRH and Riddler for imparting some wisdom and sharing the fun.

Soooo, I've packed my gear and have started my winter projects by purchasing a new home. First room to be finished will be the flytying room.

If anyone interested in getting together to tie. Drop me a line.

Until the wind blows warmer, Gentlemen. Be well.

Catch you on the Fly....

Lady Di

ridler,

am i right in asking that what i posted here was removed because it had nothing to do with kayak fishing??

bob :(

I went on a deleting spree........lol......not the right thing to do sometimes. I am learning.

May the thoughts of the "Bud Girls" be forever etched in our minds. :D

I usually yak fish some sweet water up until Thanksgiving, but, this year I had to quit a bit earlier. I looked at the "domestic" calendar and the advanced weather forcast and decided it was time for the yak to hibernate.

The yak got it's pre-storage inspection and wipedown.

It was a sad day. :(

Although, I have to admit that this was my best year for numbers.

Perhaps next year I will have a best year for size.