• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Eric_H

What do you feed shiner minnows?

14 posts in this topic

Hi, folks.

For the first time, my 55-gallon eel-tank is seeing some off-season usage this winter. I have finally reached the point with my fishing illness where I can no longer wait until spring to fish, so I have taken up ice fishing. It ain't like summer bass or striper fishing, but it's better than sitting inside.

I had a few minnows left over after the weekend, and decided to put them in the bait tank I keep in my basement. I will do so each time I have a few left over, and thereby build up a small stock of shiners for days when I don't have time to get to the bait shop. Plus I'm cheap -- at $0.42 each, I don't want to waste minnows.

So, what should I feed these little guys to keep them alive? Would regular tropical fish food flakes like you use for aquarium fish work?

Also, does anyone have any guidance on how fast I can cool the water the minnows are in before I take them fishing? The bait shop keeps them at 41 degrees, but since I don't have a water chiller on my bait tank, they're pretty much at (basement) room temp right now. I know you can shock them if you drop them right into ice-cold water, but would it be reasonable to take a bait bucket full of room temp water & minnows, and put it outside in the snow to let it cool down over the course of a few hours?

TIA,

--EH

I don't feed mine anything, they'll just mess up the water with droppings. You lose a few but they can go quite a while without food.

my best advice would be to ask a good pet shop/aquarium supply shop.Tropical Isle in Framingham is a good one but I'm sure there are others in the yellow pages.

I Imagen there are pet fish that are in the same family as shiners.

couldn't hurt ;)

Go to a store with mart in the name and buy gold fish food but it will mess the tank you also need a neutralizer to take care of the acid form there urine.

if ya keep'em alive long enough your eels'll have a meal

Yeah, I am definitely absent eels right now.

When I first started saving leftover eels, this tank was my family's aquarium. Didn't take long before there were just eels and algae-eaters left. Now the family has a crappy 10-gallon aquarium, and I use the good 55-gal tank for bait. It's not easy being such a good dad, but I try. . . ;)

Anyway, to those who replied, thanks for your advice. I have been to Tropical Isle, and you're right, Smokey, they are pretty knowledgeable. I already have all the stuff I need to keep the water clean and pH balanced from when we used to have "regular" fish, so hopefully I will be able to keep a good supply of minnows on hand through the rest of the winter.

Cheers,

--EH

When I did alot of Large Mouth Bass fishing,

I trapped my own minnows and they were dirty

that tank would be crappy with in a day, We also

had a screened pen we kept in the pond that is the

best way to keep them

Bob

lol...sorry i couldn't help ya but i think i only fished fresh water like once about 40yrs ago i was gonna suggest putting them on a pizza i hate to waist bait

it's better than sitting inside

I'm not so sure.

northpoleice-medium.jpg

that reminds me of bass river a couple of days ago. hopefully the ice will clear out by next week. i realy need to get back to work. guess it's about time i dig the boat out

We keep two tanks of shiners year round at Riverview B&T and never feed them. Food will only gunk up the water.

i'm gettin so restless about fishin i'm ready to fish my 25 gal tank in the dining room for the guppies.hmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder if they will hit a fly?? ;)