• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
NH Explorer

Starting Ice Fishing

9 posts in this topic

How about some ideas as to the basics for getting started ice fishing. What would be the minimum of equipment and an inexpensive (spelled C-H-E-A-P) way to go to start out.

I have been out on a couple of lakes here watching and everone is out there with a whole bunch of rigs, ATV's, gas powered augers - the whole nine yards. I would like to just go out and dig a hole or two, a couple lines, and hang out. Lures or Shiners? Can I get away with hand lines or what? You know, all those real rookie questions.

Any input would be really appreciated. I just transplanted from Southern California to New Hampshire two years ago and this is all new to me.

Thanks, Roger

roger - a couple of suggestions, there are probably fish/rod/gun clubs in the area(listed at your local sporting/fishing tackle shop), great for info and potential comraderie. keep an eye out for the classified/want ads for used augers and tackle. starting with the miimum as i did 25 yrs ago in PA - basic hand auger/drill, 2 tip-ups (they may call them traps up there) for fishing with shiners/minnow, a small jigging rod or even use one of your regular rods for using jigs/rapalas. maybe as a start just go out with a rod and crappie jig/small spoon and fish in unused holes that have already been cut but abandoned. definitely get a license and inquire there as to how to. make sure there are people on the ice, don't tempdt fate on bad ice. about 75-100 dollars should cover a start up operation. use the internet to surf for info. good luck, it beats the heck out of suffering w/ abin fever, dress warm:) dd

Rodger

I went out this weekend for a tournament in Jaffrey. You can ice fish for cheap or go overboard and cost thousands. Go cheap to see if you like it then progress from there.

Start with just a couple of tip-ups, use an ice chissel instead of buying an auger. I use minnows and worms. There are some good lakes here in NH, dont know what part you are from.

Best bet is go ice fishing with someone and see if you like it, then go from there on how much you want to get into it.

I am not sure the law for traps in New Hampshire is

here in mass it is 5 tip ups. there is a place in merrimack

called zylers they have discount fishing equipment.

you can get traps there for about 6 dollars a piece

a hand chipper will do fine but you can get a hand auger

you could also get a jigging rod and a flashy lure

the shinier the better and just do that

Bob

NH you can have 6 traps. Zylers has the plastic traps that lay low for 10.00, The cheap wood ones are 8.00. I would recomend the Heritage Laker wood tip-ups. A little more pricey ( 19.00) but will last a lifetime. They have a good size spool for a lot more line capacity, and they are rugged. Plus they are the only tip-up I have seen with a drag that works.

New Hampshire is 6 tip ups (lines) in warm water lakes, in most trout lakes you can only have 2 tip up.

Basic Equipment:

tip ups with dacron line and a 6' mono leader. The dacron line is easier to handle. Plus the right size hook for the fish your after. Main bait is live shiners, power bait, or suckers.

A good spud bar or power auger.

Laddle for cleaning ice chips out of the hole

Jigging pole with jigs matched to the fish. I like a small swedish pimple for perch and pickrel and a 2 oz (single hook) one with sucker strip for lakers.

Light weight insulated cooler for the shiners.

Warm water proof boots.

Mike T is right, I missed that about the trout lakes. Only 2 Tip-Ups on a trout lake. Plus your Tip-Ups must be marked with your name, address, and phone number. Fishing Sunday the warden that came by did check for that.

Thanks for all the input. First off, let me add that the only large tackel shop around is WalMart.......sooooo, I asked around at work and one guy is going to sell me his 8" auger that has been retired since he got a gas one. Said he has a spare pair of brand new cutters and was going to do a garage sale this summer. I will get it Monday for $30. Another guy said there is a little tackle shop up by where he lives and he thinks he can pick up a couple tip ups for $8 each. This is looking good.

I regularly kayak fish the nearest lake to my house in the summer and do pretty well with Pickerel, LMB, and SMB. An occasional Yellow Perch grabs my line also. I have a couple spots marked on my GPS so if the weather works out next weekend I should be giving it a try. I'm not set up yet for live bait but I will send down a whacky rigged worm or whatever else I pull out of my stuff. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll just stand back with a regular rod and mess around casting at 8" hole.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advise and encouragement......Roger