• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Hey lefty and others

38 posts in this topic

Anyone interested in a kayakfishing tournament between websites? I know Lefty was talking about a tournament. How about competing against other websites? I posted on Reeltime and Kayakfishingstuff to see who will respond.

I think it would be best to elect one person from here to represent Surfcaster. I elect Lefty if he is willing and has the time.

Think of the possibilities! SOT vs SIK (REELTIME), bragging rights, a trophy, fishing all over New England...who knows what fun we will have...

What does everyone think?

I'll add something to that --- I don't have much time but we can put up an information, schedule and signup page --- etc.

Let me know as it progresses! :)

That would be great. Man, I'd just like a tournament/get together in general, more the better. Set up barbeque etc... I could get a bunch of freebies from clients. (wasn't there an earlier post on this kind of get together)

I think a few of us post on the other sites so I don't know how you set up the team thing. If you do it as teams I would even set up a division for surfcasters (I got an extra kayak and woud lend it out to anyone who wanted to try..we just give them extra lifejackets, bailer and a first aid kit)

If you don't do the team thing maybe just division it--fly, tube, spin, worm and bobber, etc...

I'm jealous of that plastic navy site-they had 130 at their last tourney. We just need a place that has some parking and a lot of porta potties

post-38-1108868301_thumb.jpg

What up Joe? I was thinking about Stage Fort Park in Gloucester in late June for a surfcaster.com tourn.Fish anywhere on Cape Ann or launch at the park and fish the harbor.Registration and weigh in at the park .Lefty Stage Fort Park

I'm in! and want to fish on the Surfcaster team if they will have me.

How about a re-entry/rescue contest SOTs vs. SIKS ;-);-);-)

damn that was a quick election too.... LOL only kidding of course Jeff & congrats Lefty !

let me know what I can do to help out with anything.

-guyton

If this actually happens, how many people would be interested in a edited DVD of the event?

I work as a Digital media technician at a college in Vermont. I grew up going to Plum Island in the summers to stay at my grandfather cottage. I have been looking for "fun" projects where I can make money to start paying off my computer and software. This woud the first project like this. I would guess it would be 30-40 minutes of some interviews and maybe if someone had a boat I could get actual cam footage of people catching stripers. Who knows exactly how it would come out, it would all depend on the footage. I would promise it would be worth having though. I would also estimate the cost of the DVD would be about $15 dollars including shipping and could be ready for distribution within a month of the tournament. I have made many DVD's for work and have been editing for about 3 years. I assure a professional looking DVD. Just wondering if this something people would be interested in. Also, give me a really good reason to take time off in the summer.

Thanks,

If anyone is interested or the organizer is interested please email me at iamsaws@gmail.com

Thanks Guyton I'm sure help will be needed! If teams are a part of it youre in!Iam we have not yet set a date yet or a sign up. I think a DVD would be fun.Lets see how the interest is. Lefty

Well if we wanted to have a committee boat I may be able to help out but I would want one or two of you to help man it so I can partake in the fun. Perhaps we could take shifts doing so if we felt the need for a boat/rescue craft.

IamSaws, I would pay 15 bucks right now for a decent yak fishing video whether I participated or not. If we don't take you up on a deal to film the tournament I'm sure we can find a few of us who would like to contribute time to making a DVD of this type. I might also be willing to supply a film crew boat for this as well.

-guyton

Yeah, the more footage the better. I am trying to stay away from weddings and "crap" like that.

I think something like this would be more entertaining and worthwhile. Seems like a cool idea all around.

Whats up everyone. I checked on Reeltime's kayak forum and not much of a response yet. Most who are in that forum usually come out near spring, and we are almost there, thankgod. Look for more response soon.

Same deal with kayakfishingstuff. The CT boys have a stronger presence there and would expect JoeV and others to chime in.

I like the idea of getting this on video. The current kayaking video from the west coast has done very well. We can do better! lol

Hopefully soon these websites will have a team and a elected Captain's for Lefty to deal with. I could see the Reeltimers team doing a chase for palegics down the Cape or RhodeIsland. But would not be surpised by a Deer Island challange. KFS with a CT connection would probally be down there possible spring run or fall. Some go to Cuttyhunk so you cant rule that out. It will be interesting to find out where that goes.

I encourage everyone to post on these sites to get the ball rolling. Here are the links to that thread on the site.

ReeL Time Tournament talk

I am hoping captains will be established from other sites in the next month and come up with the rules. I like the idea of slam points with blues, bass, flounder or other. Who knows maybe Tuna? Imagine that. I know some of the Reeltimers target them on the Cape Ann as well. I dont know if the timeframe will be right for it.

I can not speak for the Coast Guard Aux. Division 4 (Gloucester) but if you guys have the tournament North of Gloucester in the Crane beach, Coffin Beach Ipswich Bay area I am pretty sure that Division 3 would schedule at least one safety partol to watch over the area of the Tournament, if it will diffinitely be in and around Gloucester let me know and I will find out who you can contact in Division 4 to arrange a safety patrol.

Pavilion Beach @ Great Neck( Ipswich) has a good amount of free parking...

I'd like to play on the "hometown" team.Is there a Fly division? Unless Guyza and PA Hillbilly are forming a seperate team from Maine....

Im thinking a fly,spin and bait division.Interest from the other sites will determine the teams.Regardless of the other sites we will have a tournament.The location should be in protected waters in the event of bad weather.Gloucester and Manchester provide the most protection plus the facilities to host the event. We should be able to sign-up at the host site and then fish anywhere on Cape Ann then return to register fish and party.Fishstix do we need a safety patrol?This will be my first tournament so I'll need help.All ideas are welcome! I'm looking at Sunday June 19.One week before the Fiesta " Viva San Pedro" Lefty

I have not seen much response from Reeltime. The players in the site are busy thru the summer. Like Left said it probally will go down as a singles tournament.

I am happy to see the regs of this site come back and post here. Welcome back! I hope your offseason was good to you.

What does everyone think about sponsors for the event or atleast get products to raffle?

I could talk to Peter Santini (Tube and Worm) at Fishing Finatics to see what he can do.

How about NESC in Rowley? I have to go up there soon to test out a couple of kayaks around spring. Anyone know the propieters?

What about kayaks companies? Maybe we can get a boat or two and sell raffles? Maybe we can get it at cost?

Maybe the IKAF will sanction this event?

Here we are talking tournaments and we get another load of snow! :) I'd be happy to just find my yaks with all the snow we've had! B) Paddling wont be a problem after all this shoveling! Lefty

Lefty, absolutely not regarding the NEED for a safety patrol, I was just suggesting that one could be available, depending on when and where. At a minimum if something does happen, someone would be nearby and it couldn't hurt.

Hi Lefty,

Not that I want to complicat things but seeing your "target date" makes me ask if we can't circulate a couple of possibilities for dates and see what the crowd says for their availability. Only reason I mention this is it's a date allredy spoken for on my calander and one where In-laws are invloved as well ;-(;-(

Any how just food for thought and if June 19th works for the majorority I'm sure you will go for it.

I'd love to make it if possible.

cheers

Guyton

Fishsticking point taken.Guyton has offered his boat for such a need.If we have alot of interest say a month before the date we could notify the Coast Guard of what we were doing. Guyton how's July 10?Your going to be a big part of this lets make it work for youLefty