• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
surf rat

OMG!

14 posts in this topic

Weather service is still telling me to expect 2-4 inches total. I have 8" on the ground now, and radar says it's gonna continue for at least another hour.

Also noticed some thunder-snow is on 95 heading towards Boston. Good luck with that.

Will It Ever Really Happen!

2005 SPRING TROUT ALLOCATIONS

Bay State anglers can look forward to 572,200 feisty brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout being stocked this spring according to figures released by MassWildlife. "We'll be putting out more than 286,000 rainbow trout averaging over 14 inches long," observes Chief Fish Culturist Dr. Ken Simmons. "They'll be distributed statewide throughout the stocking season by our five regional MassWildlifeDistrict offices." 46,000 brown trout in the 12-inch class will be stocked along with 87,000 browns in the over 9 inch range and 20,000 in the 6-9 inch range . The larger water bodies will receive the larger fish with the smaller brooks and streams receiving the younger fish. Brook trout will be stocked in a similar fashion with 12,000 fish measuring a foot or better, 77,000 greater than 9 inches and 30,000 in the 6 - 9 inch class.

Anglers can also anticipate trying to tame some of the 3,250 tiger trout to be released, all topping the 14 inch mark. These handsome fish, a cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout, have become popular with folks lucky enough to land one. Finally, about 950 brook, brown and rainbow trout will hit the water already measuring more than 18 inches. These trophies, along with the rest of the fish produced at MassWildlife hatcheries, will be stocked when snow and mud conditions abate, allowing the 2-ton District tank trucks access to the waterways, as early as mid-March with the Southeast District, Northeast and Central District areas to be stocked first. Once trout stocking begins, weekly reports will be on the front page of the MassWildlife website. You may also call the nearest District office: Western 413/447-9789; Valley 413/323-7632; Central 508/835-3607; Northeast 978/263-4347 or Southeast 508/759-3406. And don't forget to Take A Kid Fishing!

It does not seem like it, but many of us will be trout fishing in just a few more weeks.

I HOPE ;)

Hey Swamp

While your sucking down cold ones at the Old Time Music Festival us northern bubbas will be trudging through the snow trying to catch our first trout of the season! ;)

Currently looking out my door!

today1.jpg

Its hard to imagine that stocking starts next week! I'm going to try for a Tiger, right in front of the legion in Townsend with fly rod. ;)

post-5-1110653341_thumb.jpg

Redliner

They seem to stock the Tigers later in the stocking season. Under normal conditions I have caught them around the third week of April but if stocking is held up because of the weather you might not see them until a week or so later.

Good luck I hope to catch a couple myself this year, I didn't get any last year.

According to MassWildlife.org, and I quote, "Weather permitting, spring trout stocking will begin the by mid-March of this year."

Don't they say that every year? Whenever they get around to it I'll be out there doing my spring training for striper season.

They do say that every year. That's why you've got to check out their latest stocking reports but also realize that the info your getting is a week or so old. You must anticipate their next move and try to be at your favorite fishing hole a day or two after it has been stocked.

You must take the latest weather reports and conditions and judge when your most opportune time to fish is at hand.

I do not want to hear "I have to work and don't have time to fish those hours." might as well say:

"I've got to wash my hair!" remember as always "Be There or Be Square!" ;)

Yeah, the fish trucks get spotted on their way into town. The fish take a few days to get settled in anyways.