• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

PPPPPRowler is in the house!

16 posts in this topic

Just picked up my new P13 with installed rudder by KFS from Forward Air in Chelsea. Tangerine in color. I think Billy Smith, Mike Bossey and the rest of the New York Islanders would love this color scheme. If I cant be seen by boaters from a far they are blind and should not be boating.

Nice, neat, clean installation by KFS crew on rudder, Scotty Rodmaster II and two flush mounts. The shop is way busy but putting in quality work and getting the product out. Well done! I am glad that I have the gasket instead of that neo cover. I tried to put one on at a store with Kris L and we found it hard too do.

First voyage will be this weekend at the Mystic.

The Malibu could be taking a back seat for the summer. LOL We will see.

Congrats Ridler...Good luck with it!!!

Wish ya the best of success and hope you hook up this weekend.

Jeff, what was the decision maker for you. What is the feeling on the extreme. Is it too big, heavy, hard to paddle on windy days, or is it you wanted a smaller yak for mobility and speed. I am sure the answer is all of the above, but you have had a T120, T160, Exteme 15, Prowler13 and the sea dart. I know we are all looking for the perfect fit for us as individuals, and the locations/conditions we fish it, but can you attempt to explain your thought process on you decisions, as it will help many who are looking for their first yak, or a second yak.

Sounds Great!

I'm looking forward to reading your Performance review ! Maybe also with a couple rigging photos tossed in....

My P 13 is due in next week. I was knocking around in the shop last night and made a Rectangular RAM ball bracket w/the dimensions of a Scotty for that spot up front too narrow for a 2.5" circular base.

Cut the ball and stem off the circ. base, tapped some 5/16 threads in the stem and attached it to the 6061 aluminum rectangle. Will post a picture after I rig the boat up.

I have gone thru kayaks over 3 seasons. I needed another kayak to take others out and after doing research and talking to other 13 owners I decided to give it a try. We will see how it paddles this weekend I hope.

The Extreme has its place and one that I will keep for now.

Here is what I found with the kayaks I have bought:

Tarpon 120: great layout and fishing platform, I had issues with rear scupper hole taking on water because of manufactuers defect at molding. The accesories installed at factory, including center hatch, was not even close to leak proof. The replacement was sent and had the same problems. I went back to Kittery and got my money back. WS has resolved these problems. If you are at or over 210lbs in this kayak you will have water in the cockpit. Its not pleasent to have cool or cold water on your heals in the spring and fall. Plugging scuppers is an option if you are heavier for this kayak but that is an option I dont wish to pursue.

The Heritage Sea Dart: I bought this kayak at a tackle shop for short money on a road side deal. It paddled fast and had glide. The intial stability is not the greatest but had secondary to make it fishable. My weight at the time, 210 lbs had some water in the cockpit but less then the 120. I outfitted it and took it out and was trolling with a forward mount rod holder and almost got pulled over on a hit. If it had better intial I would have kept it. I was lucky that it had good secondary to make a recovery. Not the way I like to fish. If you do a surf launch with this kayak say a couple of our fathers and put your rods below deck if you can. I have witnessed this by a member on this board when he decided to try the surf launch with all rods out. The result was devastating. A tumble in the surf, rods and reels broke and one rod holder seperated from the kayak and breaking the kayak. Sold it 2 months later and actually made money.

The Malibu Extreme: Great fishing platform and loaded with stability. You can stand and cast in flat water with little wake and actually land fish. Great layout with 3 big hatches to give you storage and the ability to reach inside to mount extras where you want. This is a big guy kayak and will stay dry in the cockpit. It turns easily with a few paddle strokes and can be moved in tight areas. Moves great in rough conditions and if I had too do it over again I would have purchased the rudder. When you get big wind or current from the rear it will kickout the rear end causing you to lose speed because of paddle corrections. The rudder would solve that but would increase the weight of the Extreme. The weight of this kayak is a pain in the arse if you have limited launching or need to move it around. The weight of the Extreme loaded and ready to go fishing would be well over 80lbs. Strip it down to car top and you still deal with 70 plus pounds. For loading you need a system to not have to negotiate the bulk and weight. I had this system set up on my Ford truck. If you have a trailer more better. I still have this kayak and will fish it again for a third season.

The WS 160: Better intial stablity then the sea dart and plenty of seconday to recover. The weight was not bad for a 16 foot kayak. It is a proven fishing platform and very sea worthy. I bought this used on a decent deal. At 16 feet it is not easy to turn, you must have the rudder. I am pretty sure it is not sold without the rudder but I could be wrong. In tight areas like early season at the Mystic when fishing the dam area it was tough to move around in tight areas. Even on open ocean when trying to troll over a hot spot it is a wide turn and sometimes frustrating. At my weight of 210 I would have some standing water in the footwells but not much. It has speed and one of the fastest SOT's available. There is a hump in the seat that makes the 160 uncomfortable for me. If you add more padding then just a regular seat pad you are taking away what intial stability you have. After a regular 4 hour paddle my back was killing me. I sold it and took a loss.

WS has the new 160i coming in mid April. They have added a tankwell and improved the seating. The layout is supposed to be similar to the 140.

Prowler 13: Not tested yet.

With 2 to 4" of rain coming Sat . the Mystic will look like the Colorado! :surfing: Lefty

Yeah it does not look good. The last couple of years it has been the same story. I just hope raw sewage does not find the way in! :P

I was wondering if/when you were going to ever get your yak. Congrats! Look forward to seeing how it performs OTW.

Lefty, have you tried the sweet water yet? Do you know when they stock the sportsman club with trout? Its walking distance from my house.

Gary that spot gets stocked in March and again in May.I'm hoping to get out late sunday at Lepages.The ice is finally out.I'll probably do Pleasant Pond a couple times this week for trout.I think this rain will really screw the Mystic up for awhile so Sweetwater it is for the time being.Lefty

Yeah it does not look good. The last couple of years it has been the same story. I just hope raw sewage does not find the way in! mellow.gif

You could probably test tomorow when the end of my street floods.