• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
xbigf0otx

PFD question

16 posts in this topic

What do u guys use for PFD's?

i started looking recently and like the Lotus Mildwater but i cant find it in bigger sizes. any idea where i can find a better selection? i have checked Dicks sporting goods REI West Marine and Boat US and the biggest size i've found is medium

Kittery Trading Post has decent PFD's from enty level to pro grade. BoB Smiths Widlerness House on Comm Ave near BU has good supple. EMS is across the street but very pricey. Its a shame Galyans is gone and Dicks has moved in. Nothing but junk now. Most PFDs are oversized. I fit into a med/large but wear an XL shirts. Your goal is snug but not loose to come off. Straps should be set to allow comfort. The PFD must not restrict paddling. Grab a paddle and mimic paddle strokes and make sure you are not restricted or arms hitting padding. This will assure you a good fit.

I think I paid 50 bucks for mine at Kittery. Its a yellow MTI adventurer. Faded from the salt but intact after 2 seasons.

The Lotus is a good choice and great quality for the money.

Have you considered an inflatable?

I bought one this winter and it feels very comfortable.

Will be worn on yak, boat and possibly slick rocky shores.

I have a Lotus Mildwater and like it fine. There is no padding low in the back so it clears the top of high back Kayak seats.

I've been using an inflatable by SOSPENDERS; now going into its' 6th. season. I think West Marine has them on sale right now. Nothing on your back, so now binding when you sit in the Yak.

post-38-1112273680_thumb.jpg

I got the Cabela's marine catalog the other day and they had a model of SOSpenders or similar for about $69.00 which is the lowest I've seen em. I may give em a try this year.

I know a lot of people wear these and like em. I prefer a PFD that doesnt have to rely on air or cartridge to work. But before I judge how does the sos work?

If it doesn't have a manual inflation tube I will not buy it. I will use it for short jaunts and save the regular PFD for rougher days and longer trips with potential for changing conditions. The one I was looking at is not the auto-inflating type when you in contact with the water which I wouldn't even consider for yakking.

I know a lot of people wear these and like em.  I prefer a PFD that doesnt have to rely on air or cartridge to work.  But before I judge how does the sos work?

Hi Ridler

Here is the link to the one I purchased.

It also has 2 velcro pouches that can be easily removed.

When you get in trouble, just pull the cord, like sky diving.

I also ordered an extra rearm kit, just to have on hand for immediate rearming.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...-results1.jhtml

My suggestion is to try as many on as you can and sit in a yak and simulate the paddling motion. Comfort is the main priority. They will all keep you afloat, (don't by a cheapo waterskiing one, its your life here). 99% of the time you never need it, so it must be comfortable, and don't get cheap with safety equipment. I ended up buying a womens XL model, apx $100. It was the most comfortable. It must be my massive chest! :P

Something about those inflatables that bug me. If they're manual inflating, & you get knock out somehow before you can inflate it..... Food for thought.

My only concern with inflatible PFD's, what happens when you attempt to reboard your boat and the big PFD's in the way? How do you get in?

I like the idea of an inflatible, but the little things make me wonder.

I wear a Stearns PFD. It has mesh around the shoulders so you have full range of motion. I love this PFD, it is so comfortable. I wear it all the time. It is also adjustable so it will fit people of all different sizes. I do alot of cold weather boating, and can wear my XL sized PFD over a full winter parka and can also have a tight snug fit for summer boating with a Tshirt.

Here are a few pis of the PFD. I couldnt find a good pic of it on a search so I scanned a few pics of it. I got mine at Wal Mart for around $20.00

The first pic shows what it looks like from the back. While it has mesh shoulders, it has plenty of PFD material around the back to keep you a float should you fall in the drink and or loose conscienceness. That is one thing I am afraid of with the inflatable SOSpenders type PFD.'s What happens if you fall in and hit your head and knockyourself out?

post-38-1112396885_thumb.jpg

Pic 2 shows the mesh shoulders which allows you to be very comfortable and not have that Bulky lifejacket feel. Dont mind the schoolie. I am not posting this pic to show off the fish :P

post-38-1112397062_thumb.jpg

i just got back from kittery i got an MTI Adventurer it was good to be able to see and try on a bunch of different ones. i think the Adventurer was similar to the Lotus, fit a little better, and was less money so i got it

thanks for your replies