• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gumbo

Flooded Rivers

9 posts in this topic

This week I am going to get out on the Sudbury River which will be extremely high after these rains. You can see waterfowl feeding in the floodplain. I have no experience fishing these conditions. Do largemouths (or other gamefish) feed in the flooded agricultural fields and red maple swamps? There are big pike in the area - will they stay in the main river channel or are they all over? Kayaking in flood stage is very cool now because you can paddle all over the place but I just don't know what to expect for fishing. Certainly in the cold water bass will want slow lure presentations to solicit strikes but are the pike flying around after anything that moves or do they like it slow now too? I may also try some of the trout-stocked ponds.

I was out for several hours tonight helping spotted salamanders and wood frogs avoid being runover (Yes - I am a nature geek). Big amphibian migration night. Spring is definitely here!

good deal on the salamanders,,,, fish everything slow

\

I have carp in my basement and a couple of perch.....

Hey at least it's not snowing

The problem with fishing flooded rivers and streams is the fish have more places to go so you have to cover more water for the same amount of fish.A slow retrieve is the way to go but don't leave the spinner baits at home.A spinner bait with a big willow leaf blade can be retrieved slow and still cover allot of water in a short amount of time.Plastics are great this time of year and can be fished at any speed (Try some of those Berkly Gulp suckers).The nice thing about this time of year is you can get away with using allot of plugs like Rattle Traps and Rappels as the weeds are small and easy to clear.It's a little early for spawning but Look for low water to warm up fast if and when the sun comes out.Good luck.

Disclaimer: I don't do as much fresh water as I used to but I remember what I learned over the years. :P

PS. WEAR YOUR PFD!!! The water is still pretty cold out there and it only takes a few minuets for hypothermia to set in.

I saw a couple guys two days ago in kayaks with T-shirts and no PFD's :wub: :P

At least they had a buddy.Try not to go alone but if you do let some one know were your going and when you plan on getting back.

Let us know how that Pike bite goes... Best time of the year for a huge pike, right after ice-out.

In my experience cold, muddy, extremely high water= poor fishing.

Have done well on the pike once the high water subsides around early may.

You inspired me and my boys to give it a try today but with the boat still hiding behind a snow bank we were limited to hoofing it.With the water so high and my 9&8 year olds lack of casting experience it got old fast and we only manèged 1 small large mouth in about 2 1/2 hrs. but a day fishing is better than a day working and the kids had some fun.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. That is great you got out today with your kids! I just got back from my son's hockey tryouts and have the Sox on - another sure sign of spring!

I will definitely be dressed in dry gear with extra insulation. You certainly need to dress for full immersion regardless of season. This is the most dangerous time of year for paddlers because of the warm sun but ice cold water. It is incredible how people paddle without PFDs or the proper clothing.

Fishing will be challenging but mostly I need to get out. I think I will cover the main channels and floodplains with a variety of lures and retrieve speeds and see what happens. I am very curious if largemouths are feeding in the flooded farm fields - they must have easy pickings of earthworms etc. but maybe they mostly stay in the true river channel.

In the time I wrote this I am already to trade Wells - I still don't know why we got him. Of course if he starts kicking ###### I reserve the right to change my mind.

I think "Wells-ie" is a Yankees covert Spy sent to undermine the very infrastructure of the Red Sox, crippling them from within....Sent by Steinbrenner to"to ruin our Summah!"