• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Prowler 13 first launch

20 posts in this topic

Well today was the day I got to launch my new 13. Very windy day with a steady 15mph and a strong gust up too 25 mph. I am 5'9" 216lbs. I have the 13 with rudder option. I used a touring paddle 230 cfm wood.

The 13 was light right off the truck. Much less then my Extreme. I was able to pick it off the truck and carry down a small hill and into the water. About 30 yards and no sweat. I took a short paddle and moved around and was able to reach the tankwell no problem and move up front with ease. The intial stability is very good for this size beam. You can paddle and lean a turn with no problems or have a feeling of instability or tippyness. I was able to paddle and let off and glide on flat water. The water was flat calm and was not able to get into anything nasty. One thing I did notice right away was standing water in the floorboards. It comes in even and goes all the way back to the center hatch wall but will not come up near the hatch as it is too high. The cockpit floorboard area is around 4". I measured standing water at 2". The water gets sucked out when paddling and goes down to 1" or less depending on speed. But it is safe to say that at my weight, 216, there will be standing water in the floorboards. I will elect to plug the scuppers up with plugs from hardware store asap. I will need two different size plugs because one scupper is bigger then the other. ???????........I could not tell if water was constant up the scupper holes in the seat area. When I got out I was able to pick up the factory seat and notice water that could not drain out in the seat well. Maybe 1/4" or so. I will continue to watch the seat scuppers and make a decision about plugging them. After paddling around for 4 hours with the factory seat I was very comfortable. Less padding then my STS but not bad at all.

The rudder installed by KFS was great. Note that this is not the factory set up rudder. I dont know what OK uses for a rudder. KFS uses a feathercraft. I could turn the 13 without the rudder. I dont see it as mandatory like the T 160 by WS but it is still nice to have one. The rudder came in handy today when trolling along the piers and dam wall.

Yes I was lucky enough to bag some holdover Stripers in the 13. I did it by trolling and casting. I have a scotty rodmaster II mounted forward on the 13. It is in the center and OK has a square imprint where the scotty base fits. I had the holder pointed out at 90 degrees and was able to troll up a small Striper at 26" no problem. Casting is easy and steady on the 13 and was able to finness small plastics on leadheads to Bass in the deeper part of the water column. I was also able to store two 8' rods and Stradics 4000 and 5000 below deck when on land. I did not attempt to access the hatch on water. I will try that later.

The 10" molded in hatch was great to keep small plugs, clippers etc. I was able to fit a waterproof box about 4" x 9" x1" high and pliers with sheath underneath the bungee that OK gives located on the center rib. The second drinkholder on the 13 is useless. You will have to get creative to use this spot. I did try a 3" piece of PVC and it does fit. I think with a 3" pvc cap and the pipe you can create another flat surfcace and very usable. I think I will mount a fish finder on top of that along with a ram mount.

This is just a quick review of the 13 and I will look forward too getting more use out of it. What I did not like was the standing water in the footwells. I will plug the holes and take care of that.

post-38-1112576740_thumb.jpg

Glad you got today, Jeff. A 26 inch fish already. You wasted no time getting into decent sized fish.

I sure wish the manufactureres started paying attention to us guys over 200 pounds. Photo shows the water in the footweels. You buying rubber stoppers for scupper plugs or making your own?

BTW, the useless cup holder is meant for holding a glass of single malt.

I expect my new Tarpon 160 sometime later this month so then we can compare the two boats.

Mcattardo was on the bank fishing when I pulled up and we wanted to capture the water in the footwells. Advantage Malibu Extreme for making a dry footwell area.

I talked with Mark and he has the 140, another soaker in the footwells. He uses #7 rubber stops from the hardware store and I will do the same. I will need two different sizes as the Prowler has two different size scupper holes up front. Why I dont know. ??????

Jeff - a great way to make real cheap but effective scupper plugs is to cut them out of a pool noodle. A sharp knife cuts them like butter. Just leave the upper end big enough so it sticks out about an inch and you can quickly pull them out. The shape does not need to be perfect because by jamming them in it fills out the scupper hole and they don't leak. I always keep a sponge in the cockpit to clean out water that accumulates from paddling or washovers. If surf is heavy and you take on a bunch of water then just pull the plugs.

I don't claim this as my idea, someone on KFS recommended it.

BTW,  the useless cup holder is meant for holding a glass of single malt.

BTW , I like your style!

Way to go Jeff! Scuppers plugged is the solution for the standing water.My Drifter fills with water without them.I think all the OK boats are wet!! Lefty

Somewhere I read when you make scupper pluggers out of foam, cut them to shape then smooth the surface of the foam with a lighter. Makes a very neat looking plug.

Atrange how some boats collect water in certain locations. My FnD not water under the butt, but the Fisherman always sitting in a small puddle. The FnD collected some water in the foot wells, but no standing water in the Fisherman's foot area.

Still getting excited over my boat once it arrives. :P

Great review and congrats on the holdovers! BTW, Where do you launch from when you fish the Mystic?

Yes, it seems scupper plugs are more or less essential equipment on Ocean Kayaks for anyone around or above 200. OK makes some vinyl plugs w/a lanyard on them replacing the black rubber ones. They seem like they'll be easier to pull in and out than the hard rubber ones that would get stuck now and then on my Drifter. Glad I did'nt unload my Emotion Fisherman over the winter, slow but Stable bone-Dry ride for me.I'm sure that it will still see plenty of use....

I really appreciate your in-depth coverage, 'specially since my P13 is due in this weekend. :P Any more photos? never can see too many pictures...

The OK reps will be @ the KTP show over at UNH this weekend, I'll definately leave w/some plugs.

The Malibu Extreme is a true dry kayak. The only one I have had so far that was.

Great report Jeff. Take care of that water issue and it sounds like your in for a good season.

Look forward to seeing it all rigged up.

Congrats Ridler..Best of luck with it..You got huge cannolis going into fourty degree water :P

We all have to prepare for cold water if you plan on fishing early and late in the season. The question is will others test their dry set up to make sure that it is reliable?

I want to add that I like the lines of the 13. It looks like it moves along nicely & has a low profile. Good to prevent windcocking, but not good for water in the footwells. I was definately surprised at the standing water after reading all the reviews. I was hoping this might be a good alternative to the t-140. Overall, I think it looks like a good boat, just not for me. Of course that might change if I actually paddle it.

Also, I think foam plugs might be better than rubber, they should conform to the scuppers better.

I just got done plugging the footwells, thanks to help from Mark. I also made the flushmounts higher with 1 1/4 pvc and used 45's to put the rods in towards the yak and up straight. I also mounted a quick stow half clip on the front hatch to ditch the paddle fast. I did this on the extreme and it works great. I feel that the side bungees are nice that come standard with the 13 but takes time to get the paddle in the holder. Time that will cost you a fish.

I wanted to keep this kayak simple and that has now changed. I will add fish finder, gps, and another flushmount to this kayak in the month ahead. All this will be mounted where they give you a spot for a small tackle box, see photo. I like the idea of leaving a small tacklebox for flies, terminal tackle and such but it is the only area I can get a FF and a flushmount in without doing things out of the ordinary.

Jeff, where did you get your Scotty rodmaster II? I need to replace the forward rod holder, its the one that came in the angler addition. My St. Croix doesn't fit well and I like the slot in the rodmaster for the pistol grip on the baitcasters. Did you buy it local, if not do you know anyone local that sells them local.

So I'm guessing Riddler that your Prowler 13 is a" keeper". Rigging them out is almost (and I mean "Almost") as much fun as paddling them. For me, anyway.

Have you taken it off the beach yet?

GRH, you can get the Rodmaster in 3 Days or less from Cabela's. You probably checked already w/ Fisherman's Outfitters in downtown Gloucester? Would'nt it be great to have a local shop/store's Buyer UP to speed on all the current gear?Someone in that position who is as" into all this" as we are, to be interested enough in what they do to keep Current with stuff?

Anyone out there want to start a business? $$$$$$ :P

Jeff, the rodmaster II, will it fit on the base from my original Scotty rod holder. I have the cheapy that comes with any WS angler addition. I am hoping to buy the Scotty Rodmaster II and screw it in to the origonal Scotty base. Ya know what I mean?

Yes Gary the Scotty Rodmaster II will fit exactly with that original scotty base. If you order the rodholder from KFS you can order it with the base or without. I think without the base the rodholder is 13.49. With the base is 21 bucks. If you dont need an extra base by the Rodmaster II without base.

Cool. No one had a camera fishing the mystic yesterday, or did the comments from the last pix hold you off. A picture tells a thousand words. I got a digital camera this year, so no excuses not to show the big cows I reel in. I may be digging out the rods this weekend as they just stocked the pond next to my house with 12-14 rainbows. ;)