• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
GRH

safety question

26 posts in this topic

I was at a fishing expo over the weekend, where the majority of the guys fish center consoles 18-28 ft. When I mentioned I fish from my kayak, everyone of them agreed that kayaks need a flag or reflector elevated above the paddlers head. They all feared that someone is going to get run over. I know a center consoles, especially in swells, the bow raised up and it is difficult to see bouys. Do you think a 4-6 ft pole with a flag and reflective tape behind the seat would cause any problems to an angler. What are your thought on this to increase visability, and possibly get picked up by radar.

I think it would be a great idea. I have a atv flag left over from the 3 wheeler days. I was actually thinking about putting it on. I may have to cut it down a bit and double check to see if it will be in the way of casting.

Another reason why I went with tangerine was to be seen. I remember seeing a group of kayakers on a tour last year out at Thatchers Island and the color that stuck out the most was orange or tangerine color. Second was yellows and neon green followed by blue. I think staying visible with a bright color and a added flag will give everyone a great shot at being seen.

Anything over my head will be flyline.I'm hoping the high pitch scream will be enough! :P Lefty

i was thinking of flying a small red sox flag but not sure about rigging it. maybe on half of an old rod or something in a piece of PVC from my milk crate. so that i could take it out when im fly fishing

the flag could change to a patriots flag if the sox dont start playing better

Flag's a good idea when moving around from waypoint to waypoint. I'd need to drop it when fly casting.

Now for the flag. Do think anyone would mind if I flew a Jolly Roger?

A flag is probably a good thing. I've been toying with the idea of flying the stars & stripes. I'm wondering if it would affect paddling in the wind.

80% of my Yak fishing is close enough to the rocks where I guess I don't feel this is an issue. For the rest, attaching something to one of my spare rods would probably get it as high up as my light post for night outings. When I'm covering some distance to get to a site I'll be putting up my sail this year ;-)

When I'm in my 18' CC which is 75% on the Essex River (i.e Kayak central) I never really have an issue seeing yaks but some sort of flag would definetly bring them into view earlier when approaching.

A small airhorn might not be a bad idea either..... just in case.

I am thinking of hooking something up. 90% of my yak fishing is off the islands in Rockport. Crossing to the islands or even just paddlin in a 2-4 ft swell, I have had to wave my paddle over my head at times. There is alot of newbies out there, and bozos with dads power boat, with North Shore kayaks renting and taking poeple on tours in this area, everyone I have talked to says its just a matter of time. You can be as safe as humanly possible and someone else not paying attention kills you. It seems like a small addition, maybe one like an antenea that you could raise and lower, and the flag could be a surfcaster logo. Riddler, what is that new SF logo under your name now?

Think I can help...

SF = Sinn Fein.

If someone's flying that flag on their flagpole, Coast Guard's gonna think you've got more than just "fishing tackle" in your Kayak (bang-bang!) LOL :D ;)

Ladies and Gentlemen, Politics have JUST entered the "Kayaks and More..." forum.

LOL again, No Offense Intended ;)

The only time I have trouble seeing kayaks is at night.But I'm a pretty alert boater.I don't like to miss anything or hit any thing.At night I would like to see a strobe light on your hat or something like that.During daylight I can usually see you guys.The problem would come when your in deep water and some of those big boats with drunk captains come blasting through.A kayak don't exactly show up on radar.

It is a good idea, and it works day or night. I'm pretty paranoid about visibility, since one of my yaks is run-me-over gray in color.

I've got 54" stern light poles on both my yaks, and last year I added those day-glo orange hand flags that water skiers use to show their location when they're in the drink waiting for the tow boat to return. Just attached them to the light pole with hose clamps, and put a strip of SOLAS tape on both sides of the flag.

I have also put strips of 2"-wide SOLAS tape all over the hulls of my kayaks, as well as on my PFDs. Though expensive, that stuff works great. I have had many a boat sweep past my kayaks with their seach lights at night, only to see the light return to my spot in the water a few seconds later, no doubt with the helmsman thinking something like, "What the f--- am I looking at? It sort of looks like a kayak, but there's no way someone would be out in a kayak at 2 AM on a cold October night. . ." Doesn't matter what they think, just so long as they've seen you.

Cheers,

--EH

A flag is probably a good idea as is a kayak that can be seen against water when it is rough or foggy or? Too many blue, green, grey yaks are out there just asking to be run down. When I'm out there or when I flip over off shore, I want to be in a yak that is very visable to anyone ashore or near me afloat.

post-38-1112842538_thumb.jpg

Nice fish in the yak Onshore! Is that a weakfish? One idea would be to use the bicycle flag setup and Eric's method of using SOLAS tape is a great addition. Besides increasing visibility we do need to figure out something for letting us be picked up on radar for those foggy days. The KFS website had a good discussion going about this and I need to check that again.

I admit I have not used flags or radar deflectors but you can never be too safe out there. Maybe this year.

Does anyone know if there are any radar reflectors designed for kayaks or small craft? I looked at some in the West Marine catalog and a few in person at the store, but they were clearly designed for bigger boats, and would be too much for a kayak -- I would think the added sail area of those big radar reflectors would give you real headaches on a windy day, not to mention raising your center of gravity. Also, the regular boat-size radar reflectors are wicked expensive.

Regards,

--EH

It can't be too much or too heavy. I am thinking of a bike flag, like when you were a kid. Four or five feet, with a small flag and some reflective tape.

Space blanets, the one's with a backing are radar reflectors - http://www.mpioutdoors.com/product.htm How good? No idea. Also, in a storm not certain how to tie one down, but still a worthy safety device to carry along.

I also have heard that the space blankest can be picked up on radar.Those are a must for boating.They take up next to no room and are handy for all sorts of emergency's IE cold kids,impromptu rain gear,signaling device by sight or radar and tons of others.Use your imagination.And the cost is minimal.I keep one in my boat,car,back pack,and in my fire coat.

I have a space blanket in my backpack, but I would have to cut it up to be small enough to fly it as a flag. Also I would like the flag to be intechangeable, as i got my lobster license this year and will be diving off my yak when the fishing is slow. (also a good way of justifying all the time out fishing if I bring home a couple of lobsters for the family) ;)

Hi Guys, Newbie to kayak fishing and wanting to possibly hook up with some of you this year for some fun!.

I was up at Kittery Trading Post on Sunday and they had flags on suction cups for kayaks with a streamer flag attached. As I was looking at them, I was wondering whether they would be in the way of casting? They were probably 36" tall on a fiberglass post like the bike flags that are sold.

They did have a leash on them so you could take it down. Sorry, I don't remember the price, I think it was around $20.Spring is finally here and look forward to meeting some of you soon!!

Gary

I manage to hook just about anything including myself, so I am sure it would be in the way casting. However I spend most of my time trolling, where it would be fine, and traveling from spot to spot, it would be fine. The times I am casting I would like to drop in out of the way.

I have been pleasantly surprised how well my 54" stern-light/flag pole stays out of the way when casting, even when I use my fly rod (which, btw, if you have seen me fly-cast, you *know* that's saying something!). I think the secret to success is having it mounted all the way at the stern, not somewhere along the gunwale next to the tankwell.

If your casting movement is different than mine, you may need to find a different mounting location, such as directly behind the seat along the centerline of the kayak, but if you intend to do the light/flag combination instead of just a flag, you may not want it mounted amidships, since that would only exacerbate worries about other boaters accurately perceiving the length of your craft in the dark.

Anyway, good topic, and good thoughts by all. Excellent suggestion by Rich about the space blanket -- I'm thinking the best way to mount one in a blow is simply to wrap it around yourself, which should keep it in place, present a pretty good radar target, and keep you toasty warm and dry at the same time. . .

Cheers,

--EH

Eric,

I'd thought about wrapping the space blanket around myself if caught in a storm and needed visibility. I suspect if a boat actually picks up the echo they'll become curious. The let down for them is when they see me. ;)

Hall, suction pole flag maybe a good way to go. Also, if the suction cup fails you could adapt the pole to a mounting postion on the boat.

I need to keep flag poles, etc forward when casting because I sit with me feet in the water and the fly zips across the back deck. Ever caught your rudder with a fly when you loose a cast? Believe me not fun