• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishsticking

A Lesson Taught!

6 posts in this topic

I took my daughter to a small pond in Boxford yesterday at the end of work. The pond was just stocked a couple of days ago and I figured she/I may just may be able to catch a couple.

We get there and take to a couple of large rocks that nobody was fishing near and hooked up a couple worms and began to fish. A gentleman about a 100 yards away in a small clearing (Gravel boat access ramp -at least that is what it looks like) is catching fish after fish. My daughter wanted to go down and fish where he was fishing, I said no that he has the spot and it would not be polite to crowd around him. She asked why and I simply asked if we were catching fish, would she want people to move real close to us and cast their lines on top of ours? She said no and that she got the point!

After about 30 minutes go by and 3 young guys drive up and move right in, no more than 4' between them and they are all casting to the same 100 square feet area that the fish were holding in. The gentleman that was fishing there just left, he stopped to talk to my daughter and give her a bubble float to use and told us how he hooks a fly to it with a leader.

I just don't get it, you would think guys that are anywhere from 22 to 30 years old would just "KNOW" not to move in on someone while they are fishing.

Am I wrong or are you suppose to display your fishing license while you are fishing? Just curious.

Ha are you serious? This always happens. Were they drinking Natural Ice also?

In Mass you need to be able to show a warden your license if asked but it does not need to be displayed on your person.

Thanks Gumbo.

Adamfishes no one was drinking and I do not fish a lot in freshwater, but my dad would never have let me begin fishing where someone was already fishing. 25 ' away maybe as long as I did not cast over someone elses line. Sorry, but yes I was surprised that 3 other people felt it was OK.

If nothing else if my daughter continues to fish she will respect other people fishing around her. I hope.

Great lesson. Unfortunatly, many adults were never taught that lesson when it comes to fishing.