• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zippy

The force is strong in this one

18 posts in this topic

Stopped by NESC today and almost bit the bullet. There was no talk of discount on the boat which didn't sit well, but then again it's the same as e-bay although they give you free shipping and no tax. They would throw in a pfd and take a little off the roof rack but still looking just over 1800. They didn't have the green in stock well they did but it was sold, they had the sand but I think it would show blood too much and I fear they would arrest me thinking I did something to my wife.

The thing stopping me was the no talk of discount. I would like to save a little just to feel a little better about dropping that kind of money on a plastic bucket.

Also the real reason I was in the area was to stop by Rocco's the last time the sign said they would be open on the 8th or sooner so being the 9th I thought they would be open. Last week the place was gutted and no one seen working on it when I was there, so when the sign said the 8th I didn't think so. Today the store looked in the same state as last time and again didn't see anyone working on the mess.

So Riddler or anyone know of a place where they would deal a little on Hobbie yak

I was thinking of NH or RI because of the tax issue (about 77 bucks) that I would rather not donate to the state. Package that up with a little discount and I think I'm in business.

With the gas prices going up and talks of breaking 3 bucks a gallon and at the water pumps for the boats that isn't far off.

The yaks and sailboats may be the only thing on the water (ya right). I hope the prices will keep the weekend cruiser drunks off the water and cut down on the traffic. I know it won't keep the die hard fishermen off the water that are there for a reason other than just driving around burning the fossil fuel. :boat:

That's a bummer. You could try Hobie's dealer locator

Most 'deals' I've heard of are on accessories. It's too bad hobie isn't at the paddling show, there were some good deals on boats & no tax.

I would also recomend getting yellow or orange if possible so your more visible on the water.

they dont make any other colors in that model. Thanks for the locator I'll look in NH and RI for a dealer.

Zippy have you thought about looking at a kayak without pedals? Since you are looking at the Hobie the Malibu Extreme and X Factor are at that weight or less. The Outback weighs close to 70 lbs with the drive. The Extreme is in the same weight class. Most outback owners that I know weigh less then 200lbs. Dont assume that the specs say 400lbs and you assume that it will handle you because sometimes they are wrong. I know you said you were a big guy and believe me the Extreme can handle you and it will be a dry cockpit. It is not hard to paddle. The only complaint is the weight and that is it.

If you are looking to put down a couple of grand, you can have the best of everything. Fishfinder, gps, cloths, etc...

I like the pedals cause it leaves your hands free to fish. I am open to other options though and a paddle is not out of the question.

A couple things you might already know about the hobie, but in case you don't.

The rudder is controlled with your hand

you have to use your paddle to go backwards

it doesn't paddle well (Ive read on more than 1 occaision)

the draft with the drive is deep

I've heard there isn't any secondary stability (in other words, you lean to far & your swimming without warning)

the hatches are small

For more mixed reviews check out: paddling.net

Now, don't think I want to talk you out of it. I think it's an interesting design & would love to try one. I just want to make sure you hear the down side to it, every yak has quirks.

Its nice to have the drive system and steering on the side by lever. Great concept and one I like. The price is way too high. Its not your average kayak, thats for sure. You will also have to yank the pedals up when you get into shallow water. I think some reported 2-3feet shallow. Just one extra thing you have to do.

I ran across a Hobie on the KFS classifieds in CT. THought I would pass it on if you're still looking:

Yes this is the one that Hank Parker endorses. It is a fantastic unit! Pedal power along and fish instead of fumble with a paddle. Maximize your fishing time. Less than one year old and in perfect shape. NO scratches on the hull from beaching. It comes with the anchor never used, the rudder is perfectly intact, the seat is very comfortable. It comes with the wheel kit also. I also have a Yakima rack that attaches to an existing roof rack. It has the mako saddles and also the 125.00 "Boat Loader" option a bar that pulls out from the rack for super easy loading!! BELIEVE ME!!! Ok I have 1300 into the Outback and 400 into the rack system. I'd like to sell them together but will sell seperate. I'd like 1300.00 for everything. First come first served. I'll post pics on Monday.

292hobie1.gifZip,

I posted there to say that I have a friend (you) that wants it. Usually the first to post will have dibs. He is in CT and it is a great price. If you want it, you can register at the site and PM him for contact info. Let me know, this deal will not last.

Zip here is the link for that thread:

Hobie Outback SUV 1300 bucks

It's not the fisherman plus it's in CT. If it was 900 and no rack that would be a deal. I could spend 200 on a rack and be in business, If I get it with the rack attackment I still need to get a rack. I don't think I need the fancy attachments.

But thanks.

When I went to NESC the roof was leaking inside but they had a very nice dog.

Here are some places I looked. You could e-mail or call for the latest info ( this info is from early March).

Summers' Backcountry Outfitters

16 Ashuelot St.

Keene, NH. 03431

phone number is: (603)352-0151

http://www.summersbc.com or e-mail info@summersbc.com

Another.... Fays boatyard

Dale Squires

Fay's Boat Sales

(603) 293-0700

1970 Lakeshore Rd; Rt. 11

Gilford, NH 03249

www.faysboatyard.com

Fay's Boat Yard is located in Gilford, NH, about 2 hours north of Boston on Lake Winnipesaukee... hours 9-4 PM.

Another.....At a hardware store yup (adjacent to it anyway, Benson Ski & Sport)

BENSON LUMBER & HARDWARE

6 MARTIN STREET

DERRY, NH 03038

Phone: 1-603-432-2531

Bensons may be the best bet (3 miles off 93) since your from the North Shore, give them a call see what they got. When I asked they were supposed to get some hobies toward the end of March early april.

I shot bensons an e-mail and no reply yet

Megrew's Boats, Inc. in RI sent a reply as full list $1549

I know you're looking for the fisherman, but I did see another used mirage for $799. Check out Charles River Canoe and Kayak(in Newton). When I was looking for my Tarpon I checked them out and remember they had some Hobies. This one is from their used inventory....used as a rental last year.