• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GM2

Bad News on P 13

11 posts in this topic

So my new Prowler 13 came in on 4/8, delivered to a recent Paddling show. Paid it off and found the one put aside for me had a poorly repaired hole in the side.Not a huge deal, but it was also supposed to come w/a seat, which it did'nt. So,

"Please get me another boat..."

Was told by a Manager it was probably a "Factory Blem". He apologised and found me another one. Also had a few "factory blems", small filled pinholes where the 2 halves of the boat come together.After a long and involved inspection I took it home anyway not wanting to waste any more time. Now I did'nt pay full price for the boat, so really I could'nt complain.

When I asked if these "factory blems" were being sold as first quality, more apologies and offers of further discounts followed. No further comment...

Next morning took it for a shakedown paddle. Paddled fine out of the blocks, comfortable , nice glide for a relatively wide kayak. No rudder, could sort of carve a nice leaning turn w/a sweep stroke.Tracked real well in the wind.Took it out towards the surf, rode over the chop nicely when I hear water inside. Funny, I did'nt take any water over the top...Pulled it back on the beach and had nearly 2 gallons of water inside! In less than 30 minutes of paddling!

Dumped out the water and quickly paddled back to the launch site. I can really move this kayak fast. Brought it home and put it up on some saw horses and filled it with water AND found the leak in a scupper hole under the seat. Looked like right where the two halves of the mold meet.Bad leak as well... I hope in Ocean Kayak's rush to get these boats to market, they're not cutting corners...

Brought it right back and got a refund.

Now I should say that I liked this boat a lot, in my limited time w/it. I had an Ocean Kayak Drifter that served me very well. I think OK has some great designs that are very well suited for their respective uses. I will be looking for another Prowler 13, to use it off the beach and to fish the rough stuff. In this capacity I feel it will perform very well.

Hopefully by writing of my experience here anyone else buying a kayak should be sure to inspect them carefully and test out the hull as soon as you can. Ideally, this could have been less of a hassle if I could have tried the boat before I bought it, but that is'nt always an option.

Make sure the seller is willing to stand behind their product. Make sure you are not getting a "factory blem" masquerading as a first quality boat.

That is friggin unbelievable! Sounds like a nice boat but how can they distribute yaks with big leaks? What if you paddled far and got into trouble-isn't the company potentially liable if something bad happens? I am no fan of lawyers and litigation but when you buy a SOT you expect it to be water tight. It is a good post GM2 to alert all buyers of new yaks to test them close to shore first. It seems like there must be a quick test yak makers could do besides filling each with water. They must be able to use an air compressor and a tight factory hatch cover to see if there are leaks (or else they should fill them all with water to test).

Sorry to hear that. I know you were looking forward to getting the 13. Your experience reminds me of what I went thru 3 years ago with my Tarpon 120. Frustrating to say the least. Even the replacement kayak had a hole in the scupper behind the seat. This happens during the rotomold process. As with any kayak check for water when you get out there or inspect with a flashlight. When I got my 13 to the dock I put a flashlight inside the hull to inspect for light shining thru. This is a good way to check for leaks if water is not practical. I think you should post this for others to see on the KFS board if you have not already. People need to know about this stuff.

I have those blemishes as well. Not a big deal to me. The pinholes that were filled look uniformed all the way around and must be the way it comes out of the mold. I may call OK just to get a direct answer. I have not found water in the hull and if I did I would be calling KFS and Ocean Kayak.

No excuse for not giving you the seat. Thats a 70 dollar value. And the seat stinks to boot. But they should have given that too you.

I hope you find another 13 or one to take its place. Everything happens for a reason.

You would think for the money they're asking for those boats they would at least float test them at the factory before they send them off to there distributors.

Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones, and lay away their robes, and put off their broidered garments: they shall clothe themselves with trembling; they shall sit upon the ground, and shall tremble at every moment, and be astonished at thee. And they shall take up a lamentation for thee, and say to thee, How art thou destroyed, that wast inhabited of seafaring men, the renowned city, which wast strong in the sea, she and her inhabitants, which cause their terror to be on all that haunt it