• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lefty

Mystic Keepah!!

21 posts in this topic

April 17- first fly caught keeper.28" holdover on the Mystic.Got him on a Lefty's Mystic Minnow.Had 8 fish for the day.All on the flyrod.Jeff had a bunch.Gary the striped mammal!Lefty

congrats Lefty you being one of the fantastic four are on a roll right out of the gate this year ;) Kayak fising baby the only way to go. ;)

Congrats on that one..You're off to a great start..

nice fish

im heading there tomorrow after work. i got a sink tip fly line so im gonna fly fish more this time

Jerks! I was stuck at a yard sale. I knew somebody was catching fish, I felt a disturbance in the force. ;)

But, seriously, ;)

Ps, wanna sell any mystic minnows? :D

Great day on the water. Good to be out there with Lefty and GRH. It was tough fishing late afternoon. Finding fish was not a problem. Getting the hit was tough. Bass were deep and rarely came up above 7 feet. When you sent it down deep still hits were tough. Surface water temp in the 60's but down deep it was probally 15 to 20 degrees less.

More and more herring are showing up. No signs of fresh bass, count on that to change by next week. I scored schoolies in the upper teens and 20's and a nice size fish about keep size. Nice fight on 10lb test! Went over to the salt side and got nothing but did see a small school of herring trying to find a way in. The busy boat lockes will help as the herring ladder is still broke. What else is new? ;)

I hope to get that sinking line by the end of next week.

The enviromental police made an appearance at the boat launch when I was coming in. They asked for my fishing liscense and I showed it. Its rare they come down to the area but make sure you have a liscense as you never know when they will be around.

Congrats, nice fish!

The shopping carts are out of season.The pontiacs are in and give a good fight on the fly! ;) Seriously though depth control has been the main reason for the success I've had there.My 350 gr.depth charge line sinks at 7" a second.I count it down to the depth I mark fish and dont start my retreive till I get below the fish..Thats the hard part -waiting 30 to 40 sec. to start your strip.I think any herring pattern with a high profile will work..Lefty

When I left I thought I saw guys catching fish again...the guy fishing from shore with shiners pulled in a 32 -33 inch fish just as a was taking kayak out of water-

I dont know Joe! I had 2 small fish on my first 3 casts and then zip for the next 4 hours.Marc left when I did.Maybe Jeff got hot after we left.Lefty

I hooked up a couple of times after you guys left. Lost a fish in the pilons. Could'nt muscle it out on 10lb test and got wrapped around. Salt side was dead. Lots of silversides on the salt side, no herring seen.

That guy on the boat hooked up with a Atlantic Salmon. I wouldnt be suprised if it came from the ocean thru the lockes. It also could have got washed down from horn pound in Woburn thru the flood gate, and into the upper Mystic lake and into the river.

wow, congratulations lefty! Lets hope this is the beginning of a great spring/summer striper season! By the way, was this place near a warm water discharge? I went out this afternoon, nothing.

Quint these are fish that holdover on the fresh water side of the Mystic.Atlantic Salmon!!??? :wacko: I suppose anythings possible. :o What was the guy in the bass boat smoking.Atlantic Salmon in the Mystic! I guess I've heard stranger things.I just cant remember when. :D Lefty

It was good to see some of the guys again, even if I was just practicing my casting. Got to loosen up those arms for when the big boys show up next month. This is what I learned, the yak still floats, my FF and battery survived the winter, my waders and dry top still fit, and I need to have the ultra fast sinking fly line. Lefty, when I got home I dug it out of the trash and worked for 2 hours untangling the mess. Now its wrapped around and empty Merlot bottle. Long story… All I got was a sunburn, and a tired right shoulder. I’ll be back! Look out!

Gary even the Red Sox have trouble on road trips :D Next time out you'll be kickin butt as always.Gonna do Wallace's tonight and tom. for some Larry's if you want in give me a call.Lefty

Woking till 7, wont be home till 8. Tommorrow is grad school 5-8 wont be home till 9. That is the way it is for now. :o I need to get my fly reel to someone to load it with backing and attach my "depth charge" line that on the wine bottle. Hopefully the little women didn't stick in the recycle bin. :D

Hey Guys -

Terriffic fishing news, not bad on the weather front either.... Did you all straighten out who had whos T shirt? or is Riddler still out one?

What are your plans for the weekend? I'm considering a trip to RI or VT. Salt for B######, fresh for trout? Got home the other night bone #$)(* tired. Looking forward to another adventure however. I will attach pic. later tonight of our mottly crew.

Until then tight lines.

Lady di

The weekend is sooooo far away, I haven't got there yet. I'm definately up for more fishing tho.

Can't wait to see the pic.