• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guyton

Early Season in the SIK

23 posts in this topic

Finally got out to make a few casts last night in the old SIK on Round Pound, A few small chains a the 1st bluegill I have landed in about 30 years ;-)Got one hit from what appeared to be a larry but I was daydreaming and did not set the hook in time. It seemed like there were allot of bass just hanging way back in the weeds in only a few inches of water sunning themselves or some thing. Any of you fresh water bass experts know what this might be? I'd let my yak drift into the weeds while casting and almost every time I bumped into the shoreline it seemed like I was disturbing allot of fish who we just hanging in the shallows.

Great evening for just being out there, lots of waterfowl scoping out nesting areas and one huge snapping turtle apparently keeping an eye on this as well. It looked about 3 feet long under water.

Off to Spring Island SC tomorrow and have a Redfish/Cobia trip scheduled for Friday AM and record Larry's can be caught in the pond right out the back door....just gotta keep an eye out for the resident gators.

Lefty, if your planning any fresh water evening outings next week give a shout if your looking for company.

-guyton

Have a great time Guyton down in SC. I hope you nail some fats reds and cobies.

Lots of kayak fisherman down there. I hope you can hook up. We want pics posted when you get back. Be safe.

It seemed like there were allot of bass just hanging way back in the weeds in only a few inches of water sunning themselves or some thing. Any of you fresh water bass experts know what this might be?

Not an expert, but I have been having pretty good luck in the sweetwater this year. Basically, right after ice out, the water is still pretty cold, but the shallows warm up during the day, and bass will hang out in very shallow (inches deep) water, particularly on the side of the pond that gets the late afternoon sun, as that water tends to be the warmest in the pond. They will retreat to the deeper water at night when the shallows get cold again.

All the warm weather over the last week or so is bringing up the overall temps, so there becomes less of a need to retreat to the depths at night, but generally, during the pre-spawn period, you can find the LMB's up in the weeds, and they are feeding aggressively in preparation for the spawn. I primarily throw 3" storm shad or calcuttas, positioning my kayak off the shore and trying to drop the lure right at the edge of the pond (even a couple inches up into the weeds, although snags are a problem), then retrieve it quickly back to the yak. This approach triggers two instincts in the bass -- first, they expect small food items, such as frogs, mice, crayfish, etc., to emerge from the weeds, so they are watching and ready to pounce on stuff coming into the water from the pond's edge, and second, the fast retrieve of the lure going through their bedding areas triggers the "fight" part of the "fight or flight" response. I have been fishing my local pond almost every evening since ice-out two weeks ago, and I'm usually able to nail 15-20 bass in the course of a couple of hours. Nothing too big, but good entertainment nevertheless. Once in a while something big enough to tow you around, too, especially some of the larger (6+ pound) chain pickerel, keeps it interesting.

I'm not sure exactly when the spawn will start, but with daytime water temps in my local fishing hole reaching into the 60-65 degree range, it won't be long now. Fishing will almost stop during the spawn, then there will be a post-spawn period when things are pretty slow because the bass are stressed from spawning. As they get their strength back, they will start to school up and move into their summer patterns, when you need to pay more attention to structure to find the fish.

I love fishing the salt, no doubt, but I since I bought my kayak last year, fishing freshwater has just been too convenient to not to do it, and I really think we have some pretty good freshwater fisheries here in the Bay State. Despite what an infamous former member of this site said, freshwater does *not* suck.

Cheers,

--EH

I think it means Largemouth Bass while a "Sally" is a smallmouth. Is that true guys, I'm new to this sweetwater stuff too.

No, I love Charlie Moore, that's the only reason I knew that.

That guy is pretty nuts. It's funny, everytime I put it on and my fiance' is in the room she goes nuts cause she can't stand his stupid laugh!

Very well put, Eric H, as I also do a lot of FW fishing from the yak.

Additionally, when it's spawn time, it's possible to catch both the Male & Female at the same time.

It's happened to me more than once, just blind casting onto the brushy shore lines of stained water.

Get lucky, drop a plug onto a bed area, then Kah-splash.

A 15" on the front treble and a 14" on the back treble.

Also happens when using worms with a stinger hook on the tail.

First bass takes the front hook, then the other bass tries to steal it and gets hooked by the stinger.

Have to admit, I'd rather catch them one at a time, as hooking two bass is like reeling in a boot.

OH, one other thing. At this time of year, concentrate on north and east shorelines.

OH, one other thing.  At this time of year, concentrate on north and east shorelines.

Yeah. Did that tonight. My dad caught his first-ever LMB in the -- get this -- northeast corner of the lake. Oh, yeah, and it was over 8 pounds! :D :o :wacko:

What a way to pop your larry-cherry!

Cheers,

--EH

I enjoy fishing the sweetwater as well. Definatly addicted to the salt, but the fresh stuff is much closer to my house. Some good info on this thread.

Eric...what part of the state you fishing. I live out side Worcester, and am shocked at the size of some of the bass I pull out of the lakes/ponds around here.

I thought everyone on the internet hated Charlie Moore. I think he is damn funny. I saw this other guy on "on demand" Ted Braton or something I sp it wrong. But he is now my new favorite fisherman. That dude is so hardcore he goes NUTS more than Charlie Moore. Anyway, large mouth bass fishing is fun, I wish stripers were as easy to catch....

Finally got the chance to take my yak out onto the fresh last evening.

Bit chilly but beautiful sun and calm winds!!

Paddled up the eastern shore line and finally hooked up toward the Northeast shorelines.

Several largemouth and a small pickerel.

After the sun dipped below the trees it got quite brrrrrrrrr........

Really felt nice to finally get the opportunity as it only iced out 12 days ago.

Soft plastics in green and plastic worms worked for me.

Since I caught fish in Feb and March, it was nice to continue the streak into April.

Well the SC trip was a blast! It was more of a family trip than a dedicated fishing trip and the Yak stayed home. I did do some yakking on a borrowed boat but most of the time was spent trying to convince my 11 year old daughter that she can handle paddling upwind in 20 knot gusts. She gave it her best but finally turned back after almost dumping. I was proud that she hung in there as long as she did.

Boy what a fisherman's paradise though!! The pond right behind the house yielded many large mouths each morning and after dinner each night. I had a good day out on the charter as well. It was bit early for Cobia but we did give it a try. Jigged up tiny snapper blues on the sabiki rig and live lined em but only had one small nibble & nothing landed. Since it was slow we headed into the flats and site fished for reds and I got my 1st spot tail on a crab pattern followed by a few more on soft plastic crabs on the spinning gear. Back on Spring Island they have several "ponds" which are actually areas where they damned up the wetland back in the 60's (When it was still legal). They are full of redfish, flounder & hybrid stripers. I got a small flounder bouncing a kastmaster off the bottom in one of these. At another one of these ponds the reds were jumping clear out of the water on a regular basis. I don’t know what they we chasing or doing but my angling got cut short due to the fact I had both my daughters with me and at one point a 6-7 foot gator popped it's head up out of the water about 15-20 feet from shore right in front of us. We were on a very thin levee and the only way to outrun a gator is to run in a zig zag pattern... or so they tell me and I'm not one to want to test this:-) I gotta try and get back down there for a fishing only trip at some point but for now it’s time to start chasing the new arrivals in local waters.

Pictures to follow.

Average size larry from the bass pond. It fell for a blue/silver rattle trap that was retrieved by one of the X-mas trees that was placed in the pond to add structure. Oddly enough the policy is fish & kill for any larry's that are 14 inches or less so they can turn this into a trophy pond. Not sure I agree with this but when in Rome..... This one made the cut though and I hope to catch him next year.

post-38-1114477135_thumb.jpg

The Gator that popped up near shore while trying for more reds in the "Shrimp Pond" Not quite sure how they react to kayaks ;-)

post-38-1114477470_thumb.jpg

Next Spring we should plan a trip Jeff. I can assure you the accomodations will be great an no cost as long as we can get down there with the yaks.

Nice! :wacko: Sounds like you had a great time!I would be willing to make that trip with the yak.What 's the record for fly caught gator :D :Gonna start tying some Lefty's Gator Getters :o Lefty

Accomodations sleep 4, possibly 5 and I have access to a 26 foot Fortier as a mother ship to get us out to lots of great flat fishing. There's some decent flats right off the island but some of the better ones would be worth loading the yaks on the boat and taking short cruise. You also can't really wade in these flats as they really gooey mud and will swallow you whole;-)

Lefty, when they plan on "removing" rather than relocating the agressive gators in some of the ponds near the houses they actually do catch em on a hook and line. These are usually the ~12 footers whove been around for a while. I have a feeling it's not with a fly rod though. ;-)

Gonna have to start working on the yak rack for the top of the Fortier.

guyton