• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ridler72

Mystic 4/20

22 posts in this topic

Launched at Noon from the boatlaunch. No need for dry wear today. Fresh water side in the 60's and air close to 90. Nice! I wore the mysterioso bottoms and socks, with neo booties and synthetic Tshirt. I usually dont get to do this on the ocean until mid July. Nice!

Nothing happening in the usual haunts. FF picked up singles. I guess I was spoiled this year with first cast fish. Not in the last week. I worked the Pilons and dam doors and found micros here and there. I went back to open water and the wind was howling from the west. I am glad I brought the drift sock. Used the drift sock to maximize casting time before I would get blown to the other side of the dam. Found some nice fish in this area from Micros to 26". Everything was going fine until I went to re-deploy the drift sock. I put the rod in the rear holder and grabbed the sock and saw something fly out of the corner of my eye. My rod! See ya. It went down like the titanic. I wrapped the cord around the reel handle and yanked it out of the holder when I took the sock out. I looked for a reference to come back and the ff said it was 8 feet. St. Croix Tidemaster and Stradic 4000. 270 to replace. I tried using another rod but could not get it. Atleast it was in fresh water and I knew where it was but getting it back would be like playing the lottery. I didnt have a weighted treble on me and thought about coming back another day with one.

I continued to fish and bagged a nice fish 30-31" on plastic. Nice long battle on 2lb power pro 10lb test. Fat fish! I guess this holdover was eating well in the Mystic River. Released and decided to fish the salt water side. I found fish hugging the walls on the salt side all schoolies from dinks to about 24". No sea lice on the schoolies. I also saw a boatload of herring. Herring were everywhere and in the lockes. Gulls and Commarants were diving in and picking up large size herring. Saw one seal in the channel that came in too feast.

I pulled over and talked to the oldtimers who hang in the parking lot. I told Charlie about loosing my rod. He gave me a big weighted treble hook. It took me an hour of dredging but got it. Even got the 9" sluggo back. LOL...I also dregged up a rusted out gun, looked like a 22 or 25 cal. (reminds me of fishing Chelsea Creek back in the day), burlap bags, and plastic bags.

Rule #1 in kayak fishing: leash what you dont want to lose!

:D

Ridler, were you in a yellow kayak?? I think I saw you from the orange line on my way home. If it was I'll stop and intoduce myself next time.

Glad you got your rod back, sounds like it could have been a costly day fishing.

Gary

I can neither confirm or deny that report...lol...Yes that was me. Stop by next time. When are you getting your kayak? What kind will you get? Any help we can give you let us know. We want you in the right kayak.

I would say in a week or so we will have the salt side alive with fresh arrivals of Schoolies with some decent ones in the mix. It feels like Christmas!

I have 2 Old Town Otters. I know these are not ideal for striper fishing and will eventually purchase a "real" fishing kayak. I'm open to suggestions as my wife would rather I come home from fishing safe than end up as chum! But if the right deal new or used presented itself, she is getting her new kitchen and that opens the door for an new toy for me :D For now I have to use what I got. 3 boys put budget restraints on my toy purchases, otherwise my wife would have to work 3 jobs to support my toys. I park right where you were fishing every day for work. So if you don't mind I'll stop by to fish some day if I know ahead of time.

look forward to meeting up some day.

Gary

You can find deals out there on Kayaks throughout the year.

Stop by and say hello sometime.

I'm always lookin cuz you never know.

Thanks,

Gary

Jeff you are a warrior!!It must have been blowin 30 mph in Quincy and your out bangin fish in the yak. :D Sounds like the fish are alot more co-operative than this weekend.Gonna create a new fly and name it the Riddler Special.Rawhide and rusty nails.no kiddin Jeff your an animal!!!All the props!! Lefty

I didnt know it was blowing that hard. Around 11 it was not that bad. I got some good protection from the dam itself.

It must have been blowin 30 mph in Quincy and your out bangin fish in the yak. :o

Sure was. I took my dad out on "Lake X" here in my town, and we did the high-speed wind-drift this afternoon. I know this ain't the freshwater forum, but I couldn't resist posting, since he caught his first-ever large-mouth bass today -- AND IT WAS OVER 8 FREAKIN' POUNDS! :D :o :wacko:

Always gotta get out on the water somewhere -- the fish don't mind the wind and rain. . . Nice going, Jeff.

Cheers,

--EH

On those windy days when you are casting a drift sock or chute or even putting out a small pail or bucket will help you slow down and stay in the strike zone.

It must have been blowin 30 mph in Quincy and your out bangin fish in the yak. :o

Sure was. I took my dad out on "Lake X" here in my town, and we did the high-speed wind-drift this afternoon. I know this ain't the freshwater forum, but I couldn't resist posting, since he caught his first-ever large-mouth bass today -- AND IT WAS OVER 8 FREAKIN' POUNDS! :D :o :wacko:

Always gotta get out on the water somewhere -- the fish don't mind the wind and rain. . . Nice going, Jeff.

Cheers,

--EH

Thanks for the usefull report. If we had more people posting reports like that this would be a great site. :o

Way to go riddler thanks for the Report. You didn't find a bag of kittens and puppies with a brick inside that Eric dumped (he won't say where) ??

8lb. Larry up here is a real trophy.Eric your Dad must be thrilled.I dont think I could have stayed on my yak in that wind.You guys are animals too! Lefty

HERRING ALREADY????????????????

:D :o :wacko: :o :o

THANX FOR THE GREAT NEWS

There are fresh water mussel beds near the dam area. Perch, white fish, herring, and smaller baitfish.

Fished the dam area yesterday for about an hour and a half with no luck.

Ridler, I heard about you yesterday at Arlington BandT. The guy said "I was fishing the Mystic and getting nothing and I see this guy in a kayak just nailing them!"

hahahah

The power of the kayak!

I was ready to give up Kris. That was the last cast with that treble. Got reel lucky...lol

Man I was looking forward to getting out this weekend. If I see a 2 or 3 hour window with no rain I may head out. Fish are harder and harder to get...now the herring are coming in and most of the larger will more then likely follow them up river...I would. Like other years covering the front of the lockes can yield some big bass, they sit there waiting for more herring to come in. The challange is battling boats coming in and out, the locke guys telling you to screw, and battling the countless pilons that big fish will go into when they are hooked and near the wall....I like these odds...let me at em..

Soon it will be time to fish the saltside on a regular basis. 9 inch sluggo is devastating for decent size bass. I hope that a good count of big fish show up this year. Last year was sparse for fish over 30lbs.

Jeff,

What do you use for a drift sock? I have looked at them at West Marine, and the boat-size sea-anchors look like overkill for a kayak.

Thanks,

--EH

Zippy,

Sorry if I offended you. Just trying to make a Charlie Moore joke, as he occasionally does shows from a "Lake X".

How 'bout I make it up to you by taking you out fishing -- I'll bring the bag and bricks.

--EH

I use Drift Chute. It is rated for boats up too 15'. Most will have a rating. Even if you go higher, as long as it folds small you will be all set. I have mine with 7 feet of cord and it works fine.

Decided to go down there today. I worked the salt side in waders no kayak. I was doing well on the fly banging schoolies in the flow until the wind kicked up on a front and made casting impossible. I broked out the light spinning. I am enjoying this 10lb test action with a medium action rod, especially fish with size. Caught a couple near keeper size and a few schoolies in a short period of time and then dead for the last hour. Picked up and left. Loads of herring moving around with comarants moving em into the corners. I will be back in the kayak Sunday.