• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Guest ridler72

Jamaica Bay Fishing Tournament

69 posts in this topic

It should take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get there. If we left at 9 or 10pm on Friday we would get down there in plenty of time to get some shut eye and launch when the tournament starts. What do you guys think?

Now your talkin! What is everyone's plans for sleeping. I am planning on car camping with a pretty big tent. The timeline works for me, what kind of food should we bring. How many dozen worms...... so many questions, but it could save some of us alot of time and duplication of efforts.

Low tide will be at 736am at JFK. There tides down there are only 4 and 5 feet.

The tides to get worms around here will be high. Big worms maybe hard to come by. Friday would be the best bet for the diggers to score big worms. Maybe the Beverly, Salem bait and tackle shops will have the bigger selection. Plan on shelling out big money for worms this year.

I am open for food. Cold cuts etc... A grill would be nice for Lunch or Dinner. Anyone have a compact grill?

So far its GRH, Lefty and myself. Whats going on with the Maine members?

Mcattardo, Joe, Gumbo, Guyton others whats up?

From Maine, Pahillbilly and I have the weekend penciled in for that trip.

We are hoping to leave sometime on Friday, depending on work schedules.

When we have ironed out the details, we will share them with ya.

Ridler, thanks for the links and starting a separate thread.

I never imagined, in my wildest dreams, a wildlife sanctuary in NYC that is ideal for paddlers.

I drive to NY a lot. Add another hour for crossing the bridges and getting stuck in traffic--even at midnight. Leaving Boston around 7:30 or later makes for a pretty good drive until you get close to the city.

Allright here is how it works. I have to send Joey from KFS an email of plates numbers so he can pass the information on to park people. What I want to do is head down early on Friday and set up camp. I guess where we will be camping will be next to the boat launch. So its not real camping. Just a place to sleep and hang out. I know GRH and Lefty will be down later on. I can set up your tent so you dont have to set it up in the wee hours.

I am waiting to here back from Joey to see what the deal is. When I hear I will post here.

From what I know the camping does not have facilities. There is another camp ground here is the info:

For those that are going to be camping at Sebago and haven't notified me already, could you send me an email and a guess at when you'll arrive and depart. Just want to get an idea.

stevie "at" brooklynkayak.com

(replace the "at" with @)

A big chunk of the grounds are ripped up from renovations, but there should be plenty of space.

Note: That there are no showers at Sebago, just an outhouse, a dressing room, a garden hose to wash up with, cabin and water cooler. There's also barbecue grills, picnic tables and plenty of lawn. No sleeping in the cabin.

It's a 4 to 6 mile drive and a 2 mile paddle to the launch site, but a $10 charge to launch from Sebago(insurance requirements).

There can be mosquito's at times, so bring repellent just in case. There are sometimes private parties nearby as we are in a marina so noise can be a problem on Friday and Saturday nights, never bothered me though.

Sebago is near civilization, in Canarsie. Canarsie has a high percentage of Caribbean residents so there are many Jamaican style restaurants nearby as well as the usual fare.

For motels and tackle, Sheepshead Bay is nearby and can't be beat.

Good luck in the tourney guys! Do New England proud. I would love to go but I am taking off the weekend before off and maybe the weekend after for boy's weekends up north and there is no way I can take another weekend. I also can't miss that many soccer and baseball games my kids are involved in. This year has not started for me yet but I aim to be on the water a lot fairly soon.

Jeff, can we have fires, can I bring a big bag of split wood. Once the sun goes down, you need a way to keep the bugs and yankee fans, and any other pests away. :D Are you going down solo, can we convoy?

My wife's super cool with fishing, but if I take off and miss her 30th...dead man. Hope you guys have a great time.

If we leave early enough Fri. am. We'll have time for some Paddling :D around after we set up! Lefty

Hey I am game on leaving early Friday morning. We could fish and see what the areas are like. I am not sure if it will be marsh area or what like the cape. Different style of fishing if it is marsh and tidal. If it is marsh and tidal you can throw trolling out the window. Floyd Bennet Field is right on the mouth and a quick paddle to the ocean. Atleast we have options. Lets pray for good weather.

I'm bringing 2rods a 10wt and a 6wt.I plan on fishing the channels and dropoffs.Flies only.Lefty

Arrghh! I'll pay good money for some one to entertain my in laws from Ohio that weekend!!!!! They are taking up two good fishing weekends this summer as well.

I haven't caught a weak fish since I was a kid and fished the Jersey shore. I hope you guys have a great time and do us proud. The prizes look nice too.

I also have a small Weber Smokey Joe and Lefty if you want t pick it up on your way you are more than welcome.

-guyton

Rid, where is Kenmare St? The directions listed HERE say it's off flatbush ave.

I've come up with: (editted starting location)

Summary: (from Winthrop) 228.5 miles (3 hours, 34 minutes)

9:00 AM Mass Pike west to exit 9

10:02 AM At exit 9, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-84 [Wilbur Cross Hwy] 41.6 mi I-84 / US-20 / Hartford / New York City

10:09 AM Entering Connecticut

10:38 AM At exit 57, take Ramp (LEFT) onto SR-15 [Wilbur Cross Hwy] 1.1 mi CT-15 / I-91 S / Charter Oak Br / N. Y. City

10:39 AM Road name changes to US-5 [sR-15] 0.8 mi

10:40 AM At exit 86, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-91 36.5 mi I-91 / New Haven / N. Y. City

11:11 AM Take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-95 64.8 mi I-95 / N.Y. City

11:53 AM Entering New York

12:07 PM At exit 6A, turn RIGHT onto Ramp 0.2 mi I-95 / I-678 / Cross Bronx Exp / Geo Washington Br / Whitestone Br

12:07 PM Keep RIGHT to stay on Ramp 0.1 mi I-678 / I-95 / Bruckner Blvd / Local Streets / Whitestone Br

12:07 PM Take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-678 [Hutchinson River Pky] 11.8 mi I-678 / Whitestone Br

12:21 PM At exit 1W, turn off onto Ramp 0.3 mi Belt Pkwy West / Verrazano Br

12:21 PM Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto SR-27 [N Conduit Ave] 0.3 mi Verrazano Br / Belt Pkwy West

12:22 PM Take Ramp (LEFT) onto Belt Pky [Pow/Mia Memorial Hwy] 3.2 mi Belt Pkwy West / Verrazano Br

12:26 PM Road name changes to Pow/Mia Memorial Hwy [belt Pky] 3.1 mi

12:30 PM Road name changes to Belt Pky [shore Pky] 2.0 mi

12:32 PM At exit 11S, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto Flatbush Ave 1.4 mi Flatbush Ave South / Rockaways

Just printed my application. If you get it in before May 7, you get a nifty tshirt. Also, it sounds like pre-registering gets you on the water earlier. You can also register at the field. I think I'm gonna go fly only for this.

Wow, I never thought this winter would end.

Hey Boys-

Is there room for one more.. ya, I know camping will be a challenge.

I'm game if you wouldn't mind the additional company. I'd love to represent the female core of our New England contingent.

I'm itchin for some fishin.

Lady DI - Back on line and the water. :D

Diane welcome back!

It not really camping but more pitch a tent on the grass by the boat launch. There is a fly fishing division, I would love to see you kick those New Yorkers ######. Go to the link for the tournament a couple of posts back and print out the entry form to mail in by the 7th to be included in a special raffle.

I am camping. Not sure exactly where, but hopefully this will all fall in place when we get down there and scope out the area. Any one from NE is welcome to camp with me. Not sure what tent I am going to bring, but its all good. :D I don't get too many weekends away, so I am looking to make the most of it.