• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Guest ridler72

Jamaica Bay Fishing Tournament

69 posts in this topic

Yeah baby! Brooklyn by noon.That's what I want to hear.Be on the Bay by 3 after setting up camp.Gary I'll give you a call tomm. night to finalize plans.Jamaica Bay here we come.Red Sox hats and attitudes.We got us a convoy ! :banana: :huh: :banana: Lefty

OK Boys-

What are we doin for food? Water? beer? I just thought we should get a handle on our pot luck life style. The way I see it we require two lunches, a breakfast of sorts and dinner Friday nite.

Does anyone know if once we are in the park/camping site we locked in for the night or can we come and go as we please.

If so dinner out? If not dinner in. Shall we grill or.... suggestions welcome.

Lady Di

I spoke with GRH today and am planning on joining the convoy Friday morning at the Framingham Rest stop at 8:00am. Yeaha! Good Buddy. What channel will we be surfin on?

I like pot luck. Tastes good.

Need hot coffee on Saturday. I may buy a power inverter and run it off the truck. Anyone have Mr. Coffee? Hopefully there will be a dunkies around the area.

Jeff,

I posted on the CT board about directions hoping for some insight from the locals. I got a couple of PMs and both of them suggested shying away from the I-95. They both said (and also RWOLSON suggested) stay on the I-84 to I-684 and in White Plains that turns into the Hutchinson River Parkway (The Hutch). They say that puts you on to the I-678 and over the Whitestone Bridge. They were pretty clear that there will be less trafic than I-95. Aproximate tolls $5.00 inbound $10.00 outbound.

Hope this helps it sure made up my mind when I received the PMs. I was already leaning that way but those were the final push.

I figured keep it simple with peanut butter, jelly, & bread. There's always :huh: sushi :bluefish: The only thing I'm worried about is :banana:

Myself and a friend would like to join the convoy if everyone doesn't mind. We could bring some food/drinks. Just tell me what is needed. We could bring some steak tips or something for dinner?

I noticed someone mentioned campfires and I don't remember seeing a response. Does anyone know if they are allowed? I have one of those big copper pots that I use for camp fires in my yard. I can bring that along if they don't like fire pits being dug out.

I am not sure about campfires at Floyd Bennet. From what I heard all you will be doing is camping by the Boat Launch for the night. There are no facilities for shower just bathroom that gets locked. There is a real campsite 20 minutes away with showers and you may be able to have fires. There will be other anglers there as well as the boatlaunch area. Its gonna be cold, 50 at night. Maybe less with wind. Dress warm and be prepared.

"As far as camping it will be pretty close to the launch area - in that large parking lot. That is for guys with campers, for guys who want to tenting it, the Sebago Club is the way to go and thats where most of the guys are going to be camping. And of course, there is always the hotel that is a couple miles away." Joe from KFS

Sebago Canoe and Kayak Club

We are allowed to camp here. I dont know if they allow fires. We could always head to the Sebego club if Floyd Bennet Field is not what we are looking for. I believe you can also launch from the club and then paddle over to Floyd Bennet for the tournament start. If you want facitlities Sebago is the way to go.

From what I've heard, you have to pay at Sebago to put your boat in there. I believe it is $10. It is for their boat launch insurance?

Hey Jeff,

Me and Guyza will be leaving up here around 5-6am on Friday morning as long as my schedule doesn't change between now and then. should be down in NYC between noon and 1pm. hoping to do some fishing and strategizing friday afternoon as well. see ya'll down there!!!!!

Sounds good. If you and guyza want to hook up at the rest stop on the turnpike we will see you there.

yes you may camp at Sebago...

go to

www.sebagocanoeclub.org for directions....

no campfires...but we have a microwave and a wood burning stove...

bathrooms ...no shower, but water...

call me at 718-555-5555 for more info...thanks

Andy

May 10th

Got out today and with an oldtimer that I fish with and we had an awesome day, fish were mostly in 2 - 4' of water. I had myself over 20 bass with nothing going under 5 pounds and the biggest 15 with a bunch of 10+ fish.

On Sat we will have a low tide at launch time, those flats we start to see water push on them so you should take notice of them and wait for the fish to move up on them becasue they will. Any of these flats that is nearer to deeper water should be really worked hard and the drop offs will produce as well. there is a very good chance there might be birds working with fish under them - in that case - you know the drill.

As far as lures and flies that produce; the fish are not shy this time of year and have used everthing in the past from big swimmers to small 2" rubber tails. Surface lures are a great bet for catching and also for locating the fish as they may just swirl on it and you might want to try something more subtle. I did do very well on a pick sluggo (6") that I tossed weighted and unweighted. If you really dont know where to go, get out there in 4 - 6 feet of water and troll til you located them and then work that area.

Today the fly we both used (I had over 10 fish on it) was a pink clouser and they were slamming it hard. I think an intermediate is the best way to go.

Water is still kinda cool so dress for it. We are looking at a hight in the 60's so with a little breeze it cold get cools so bring some extra clothes as you never know.

Here is the few pics from today

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joeykayak, May 10, 2005 06:44 PM

jbaycrop.jpg

jbaycrop3.jpg

Proposed Pot Luck. I say bring what you want to share.

Lets try to stick to some resemblance of a hearty meal. God knows we'll be hungry. I was thinking along the lines of burgers, steak, chicken, potato salid, etc.

GRH mentioned the use of a potential grill. I think he said that it was small but functional. Anyone else packing a grill? If not were into the cold cut, cold chicken, and sandwich fare.

Without packing the kitchin. I'll be packing various soda, water, bagels cream cheeze, peanut butter, apples, bannanas and grapes to share.

I also agree with everyone coffee will be essential in the am. There's got to be a D&D, this is Brooklyn!

Lady Di

Soon to be catching on the fly!!!!! :banana:

My little grill is the "little smokey" from weber. It only holds 4-6 burgers at a time, and the grill is rusty. (never bothered me) but this can't be the only grill, as it is only functionable for 2-4 people. Of course if you have steak tips, BBQ chix or shimp you will have a spot on the grill. ****After I leave work today, I will not have internet access**** Sooo any changes to the plans please call my cell. Ridler, Lefty and Lady have the #. Bob I have tomorrow off to get stuff together, we need to touch base for Fri morning.

Gary

I emailed a few people who will be heading out to Sebago Thursday. That will be our best bet to have Electricity, Grills, bathrooms, tables etc. We should all grab directions off there website and print out directions from Flatsbush Ave. Brooklyn NY to Sebago so we dont get lost. Click on the Sebago link for directions.

Dont forget the foil. I will grab a bag of charcoal. There are stores in the area if we need anything. Dress warm everyone, temps will be in the upper 40's overnight and into the morning.

I've been in quite a funk for a few days now! The moment I got the email about this tournament I walked over to the house calender and at that very moment the wife is writing in a work road trip for me-AHHHHHAAAHHHHHAAAAHHH!!!!

What a great trip and a great place to fish!

Now I want you all to behave and be good boys and girls, but I also would like the "Reverse of the Curse" to extend to yakfishing. Make em secretly wish they never invited you!

Win the tourney, and just to rub it in, win all the door prizes and raffles too!!

:banana: