• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwolson

Tarpon 160i maiden voyage

15 posts in this topic

took a much needed day off from work to paddle my new boat.

Purchased the boat last Saturday, drilled holes in the console on Sunday for Ram mounts and today wet her decks; no champaigne, but sunlight and water.

Dropped the boat on a lake's beach, set the rudder foot pedal straps to length, pushed the boat out into the water and started paddling. A little water flooded the starboard footwell when porky climbed onto the boat; I go 240 from weight lifting and eating lots of ice cream. The water quickly drained back into the lake.

Started paddling, seat is actually comfy without the Endurance seat, but I expect over a long day I'll need to use the add-on seat.

Tested stability by moving my hips back and forth. Yes, she moves a bit and initially, I thought not as stabile as my Fisherman or the FnD I paddled. I got over the so called tippiness in a hurry. I even timidly tested trying to roll the boat by sitting with my legs over the starboard and leaning out over the water. Nope, she didn't turtle, but I need to play some more so I know the limits.

Paddling was fun. I hit 5.1 mph at one point, but mostly paddle and easy 4.1 mph. I expect to keep paddling at 5.1 mph I need to improve my paddling technique and get into better aerobic shape. I suspect by summer's end I'll be in great shape.

I used the rudder, but not a good test today because of little chop on the lake. Wind was blowing around 10 mph and not a good test. Paddling without the rudder the boat tracked very well.

Loading the boat on my Explorer is pretty easy, but how come the vendors cannot make ergonomic hand holds so the weight of the boat doesn't pinch your fingers?

The only negative I found and not a bother to me, water collects where your sit. I had about 1/8 inch of puddled water; it's a water sport so I'm not concerned, but just surprised.

I placed a standard size milk crate within the tank well to see how it fit; no problem. Yes, tank wells smaller than my Fisherman or FnD, but I mostly fly fish and not an issue.

Finally, overall, a great boat.

Photo of crate in tank well

post-38-1115330610_thumb.jpg

Looks great I know about the FnD there is no tipping that over and I just about the same size 240. The only problem with the FnD is if you have to paddle. I glides like a cement block. I lost my motor mount last year on the flats by the channel and had to paddle in. I parked the yak for the rest of the year.

I just put on the metal motor mount and have't tried it out yet still working on cleaning and doing ajustments like taken out the hog I put in it over the winter. Filling the holes and cleaning the bottom:unsure:

Looking forward to having it out on the water in the next couple of weeks :fish:

The only negative I found and not a bother to me, water collects where your sit. I had about 1/8 inch of puddled water; it's a water sport so I'm not concerned, but just surprised.

If your T160 is like my T120, the water in the seat is from those two scupper holes right behind the folding seat-back. Anytime I paddle the T120 on a windy/choppy day, it forces water up through those holes. I've got to get some cork stoppers for those -- they don't look like they're situated to play a very important role in keeping water out, anyway.

Cheers,

--EH

Nice- how heavy is the 16o? And why did you have to go down to NJ to pick one up? And finally are you sure that's Mango color- looks kinda like :D

Rich, Like you I need a day off. Just got off one 13 hour flight and am sitting at SFO hoping I won't be delayed by weather so I can get back by tomorrow AM and get the yak out after an short nap. New rig looks nice !! I hope to fish with you this year.

Guyton

Joe, I guessitimate the weight around 65 pounds. Nice and light.

Guyton, hope you get some time off ofr R&R.

Hope to find some time to fish with you guys this year. Company's releasing several new software products in June and no increase in staff. :banana: I'm a senior person in the group so guess whose always busy?

All work and no play makes Rich a dull boy :mellow: Some times you gotta just lay the sack on the table and go fishin.Anytime you want to hook up let me know,but you have to let me try out that yak :D Lefty

Rich, I demo many different yaks down in J-Bay and the 160i was by far my favorite. Then again I am used to the WS hull.

Gary,

Definitely a great boat. I've paddled mine teice, once in FAC and the other wind howling on a lake with white caps. OK, white caps on a lake are not the same as white caps at Pebble Beach. Boat handled very well.

End of break, time to debug some code.

Rich