• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster

Hi all Kayakers

10 posts in this topic

Specific to multiple requests we have seperated out the Kayak forum as they have in depth topics for specific things, plus they are doing a lot now!

Ridler has all kinds of power in here since he has agreen to brave the masses and help moderate, if you see a topic in the wrong place, please let myself or Ridler know as we can move them.

Specifically looking for safety topics to be moved into the Safety area since that is mucho important!

Thanks! :banana: :boat:

Nice!!! :banana: Thank you Mistress! :huh: Lefty

Okay now can you sub categorize the kayak forum into sit on top, sit-in, and while you're at tube and worm, fly fish, spin and umm Riddler photos....

Is surfcaster.com changing its main forum from a Surfcasting forum website to a Kayaking forum website? Is it time to quit like Tattoobob and Onshore and find a web site that's more on track with It's name sake? SURFCASTING Im not trying to start a War Here but several members have left because the the site has gone in a totally different direction. What's next

I think it is great to expand the kayak fishing area and I don't see it as changing the site as much as keeping it diverse and interesting and timely so that it appeals to a wide range of fishermen. I don't fish off-shore from powerboats but it sounds awesome and I like reading the posts on this site even though it is not "surf casting". There are striper flyfishing sites that regularly have posts from fishermen who change tactics depending on what the fish are doing, from flies to live bait fishing. It is all good. For those who are not interested in a topic it is easy to just not follow those threads. I really appreciate the time everyone spends in writing helpful comments and ideas and I know it has helped me a lot in learning to fish saltwater from shore and from the yak. Thanks Surfcaster for providing such an excellent site :banana:

I surfcast, boat fish, yak fish, spear fish and would fish form my car if I could find a way to do it. It still looks like the surfcasting forum has the highest activity rate and it's too bad there have been some "agitators" in the past who took the topics off kilter and started all the childish bantor that does not seem in the spirit of the true surf fishermen. I've heard Bob threaten to leave for allot of reasons and Bill/Onshore said he was going to spend less time posting and more time in search of his fifty. I enjoyed Bill's (A fellow yak fisherman) comments in the yakking forums as well. IMHO... and I'm not trying to start any wars either... I find it a little far fetched to blame to popularity of forums other than surfcasting as the reason for any decline in the quality or level of activity of posts directly related to actual surfcasting. On the other hand I'm sure there are folks who see this site in the same vein as their secret surf spot and want to keep it to themselves. Personally I've exchanged quality information with all types of fishermen on this site (probably more take then give) and appreciate the diversity, I'm sure "Z" appreciates the additional support as well. I see the different forums as essentially different websites and if I don't want to read the forums that don't appeal to me I just don't read em. Yeah I know I'm not one who can claim to be an original member back in the days when we only talked surfcasting and had to walk uphill both to and from the beach;-) but I don't see "Z" shutting down any non surfcasting specific forums any time soon. Some time you need to evolve in order to thrive. Flame me if you wish but if you run into me on the beach and your out of bait, 1/2 of what I've got is yours.

Thanks "Z" for doing a great job

Guyton