• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

River's End Report

2 posts in this topic

updated by Pat on Friday May 13th, 2005 STRIPED BASS-

The Connecticut River is still the best bet for school and a few medium sized bass for the next few days. Theres small bass along Great Island between 10 and 20 inches, the same for the Lieutenant River area and Ragged Rock Creek. They seem to be responding best to a slowly worked leadhead jig and ignoring most surface lures. A few nicer sized bass are working the bars and rockpiles near the Breakwater. The Essex area is also yeilding some larger bass, also on leadheads.

There have been steady reports from the upper River of mixed sizes of bass, but generally larger the those in the lower River.

The first catches have come from the Race and Southwest Reef. The ponds behind the Rhode Island Breachways have a bunch of bass in them with very few being caught.

FLOUNDER-No change. Pretty slow, no solid reports from the breakwater. Some flats are along Harkness and and the Waterford beaches.

WHITE PERCH- A few from the Lieutenant River and DEP Piers.

FLUKE- Reports from the other side of the Sound are better this week, however anything would be an improvement. Montauk and Greenport are yeilding a few doormats with a minority of anglers catching their limits. Some fluke have been caught off the RI South Shore with the run still in the future.

There have been reports of large concentrations of squid along Rhode Island and Long Island. This may have some effect their feeding habits, also water temperatures have been a few degrees below normal. Hopefully its just a late start.

THE FLAT OUT FLUKE CONTEST HAS STARTED

BLACKFISH- Season closes on May 1st to June 14th

I'd add the following to his report:

DEP - Old Lyme, CT- Top of tide (or any tide if you have waders) with 4" Storm or 6" Sluggos, Sandworms, Herring Chunks. Fish 20-35"

Old Saybrook Causeway, CT - Most like the top to outgoing with same as above. Place is small, so I'll leave it to you to find the right area to fish.

West Wall, RI - Is a textbook season, all the usual rules apply. 4" storm (pearl) and 6" sluggos (white), 5" FinS (pink) work well. Lots of double with those casting the schoolie rigs. Fish 10"-35" - most in the 15-25" range. As for where and when - Frank D's and Gene Bourque's books give the details. If you need more than that - PM me or read either book and follow the instructions.

ALSO

DEP is out in force this year. I now know the guy on a first name basis. The "limit" this year is the same as the past 5. 28" minimum, 2 fish. Not 25", not 27.5", 28". North of 95 you need a licence. Be nice to Jim, as he fishes SoCo and maybe he will give you some details you would want to know. :banana:

Throw the shorts back - and be nice about it. They ain't made of steel - and they aren't footballs - and if Jim sees you not following the rules, you will be in deep ####.