• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lefty

Masconomo Pt. 5/23

16 posts in this topic

Has this been the worst May ever? :lol: Put the yak on the truck around 830 very little wind.The weather man was bringing lite Easterly so I figure I could fish a lttle of the incmoing and outgoing .I hit the road around 11 wind coming at a pretty good clip out of the nw.Get to the park and its screeming. :P I say what the hell I'm already here might as well fsh the marsh.Never had to put the paddle in the water to cross the cove.Beached yak on the Marsh and grabed the 10wt..Wind by now had to gustin to 30.What the hell wind at my back I launch a couple casts into the channel.5 th or so cast gets buried into the back of my pfd :wacko: .For safety sake I switch to plastics and manage 2 micros in about 15 min.As the tide went out the wind picked up and I deceided to get outta Dodge.What took 3min.downwind took 30 mins against.Toughest 300 yd.paddle of my life. :D Off the water at 130.Before the kayak my wife would on occasion question my sanity.Now she just says I'm nuts!!! :P Lefty

What seems crazy to others is normal with us!

This May is comparable to 2 years ago. Same thing. I just landed about 4 jobs so now I have the time to complete. I am ready to go on a yakfishing bender though. The Jam Bay fix lasted 2 days. LOL. When the weather breaks I will be ready!

Just about time for a Joppa trip,Jeffrey?

Its possible. In another couple of weeks I will be up there if the weather gets right.

I'm thinking this weekend? A couple of weeks is the Cape Ann meet.Gotta do some scouting for that.Lefty

Let me know if you want to go Mark I'm in for a little road trip. :wacko: Lefty

Lefty,

I don’t mean to discourage you, but I’ve been scouting around the flats for the past couple of weeks and have not picked up much on the FF. I’ve been all around Woodbridge Island and covered a great deal of the flats back and forth from the water street launch to the light house. Most of the fish being caught are in the mouth, over towards Badgers Rocks and further up river. Now I admit I lack the experience that you guys have when it comes to yak fishing, so go ahead prove me wrong.

I’m thinking on heading south to Manchester Harbor next week, so any pointer you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Thanks for the heads up Bill!Maybe I'll wait a week!The fish I've got in Manchester have been in the coves and Marsh areas in the harbor.The weather kept me from going to far in the outer harbor but I did pick up one in the channel outside .Lefty

Had a "Large" :lol: :wacko: day on Joppa Friday 20th.

Got blown off the water Monday afternoon.

I'll be there possibly Friday and over the weekend. If you see me (aqua P13) give me the secret "Surfcaster Kayak Forum" sign.....

Hopefully, the wind and surf dies down for the weekend. If not, I'm freshwater fishing for SMB's.

Bill, a lot fish cruise Joppa for both recreation and chasing bait. I've rarely marked fish on the flats, but jump schools lounging on the surface. Note, kayak's great for jumping fish in shallow water. However, heading towards the mouth or Badgers is no fun in a kayak because of the currents and the nut cases in cigarette boats plus all the guys with tons of bucks who bought a boat, but forgot to buy some brains.

Pardon me for my ignorance but where is Joppa ? I don't want you to burn any spots. I was just wondering ?

Rich,

In no way was I suggesting to fish badgers or the mouth, It was more of a point of reference of were the fish are. As I indicated, I’ve been all around the flats quite extensively during high, low and mid tide and have not had or seen any action. The signs are just not there yet, but the seals are. It seems like anytime I go out I’m always being followed by a couple them, maybe that’s why I’m not catching anything.

Bill

Seadogface - Joppa Flats is a wide flats area on the Merrimac River between Newburyport and Salisbury, immediately upstream from the outlet to the Atlantic. It is a popular saltwater fishing area, certainly not burning any secret spots here.