• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
GRH

new fly reel

11 posts in this topic

posted 05-26-2005 03:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a relitive newbie to FF, I have landed my share of schoolies, with fish up to 20", fishing a 9 wt with a pflueger medalist reel. I have recently upgraded my rod to a TFO 10 wt and looking to match this up with a new upgraded reel. I am looking to spend $200-275. Right now I am considering the Orvis Battenkill large arbor V. What suggestions could you give me. I am not looking to land tarpon, but decent size stripers and a reel that can handle the salt.

Well I would not go with a large arbor reel, I want as much backing on my reel as possible

I have that same rod and a Pflueger Trion and you should buy some spare spools

these reels are made from Redington for Pflueger

It really depends, as I'm sure you know, on price range. You can spend a great deal of money a Tibor, which is probably about as top of the line as you can get. A more midrange reel would be an Abel Super, in my opinion your best bet. The Battenkill is a good real, but not a great value... as said below the Pflueger is a great deal... I'd look at the Pflueger Supreme 1890. It's a great reel for Saltwater fishing, simple but sturdy, with plenty of room for backing.

GRH...I traded in a few entry level set-ups for a nicer one this year. Did some research on this site and others and decided on the Teton Tioga. Super nice reel, totally sealed drag, easy spool changes. Plus it comes in less than what you were hoping to spend. Mo money for other gear. Check it out.

It might depend on how much of a beating your tackle gets. Okuma put out some solid, inexpensive fly reels with decent drags and relatively few parts that will corrode. And you won't cringe if they get beat up. Certainly worth a look.

I have "regular" arbor battenkill that I have owned for 10 years and I love it. With a 10wt in New England the large arbor version should hold enough backing for stripers and blues.

Teton Tioga is my choice for the money.You can get the reel and spare spoiol for what your willing to spend.Lefty

A recent conversation with a sales guy...

"Why is the Okuma so much cheaper?"

"because its not made as good"

"whats wrong with it?".

"It won't last forever"

"How long will it last?"

5 maybe 10 years

I can buy four of them for the price of the one that you are recommending.

Yah... so, It won't last as long, you'll be back.

So I bought 4 of them last weekend, figure I'll be back in 30-40 years, hope I can still cast then.

I have an Okuma that I love and an Orvis Battenkill Large arbor I received for free. I definately like the Orvis more, but not so much more that I would spend the extra money. As far as large arbors not holding enough backing. I have 150 yards of backing on mine. If a striper runs that far on me,he'll be on land.

GHR, this is one of the topics that gets everyone heated up over. heres the bust thing to do test out the reels you like, at any shop. ask you buddies to let you try one out while fishing, go w/ the one you like, Ive caught stripers on $32.00 reels to $695.00 reels it's all PERSONAL PREFERANCE! some guys have an endless supply of MONEY an outher DON'T. heres the best part. THE FISH DON'T CARE WHAT YOU USE! just catch 'em. so

GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN. :banana:

i have the okuma integrity for my 10wt rod.. i got that and an extra spool on ebay last year for a deal.. its decent.. especially for the price..

i also use a sth pop 3 for my 9 wt.. thats a small arbor cassette style reel.. i got that for super short money and it does everything i need..

cassette reels offer you a cheaper alternative ratther then spending $$$ for extra spools.. you just buy the plastic inserts..

just an option..

later

crash