• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mackerelisdirty

New guy looking for answers

7 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it. I wanted to get some response on getting a kayak. I will use it for mainly lake fishing, but would like to take it out for stripers too. I also will be using it a lot for hunting. I have been in two different kayaks so far for test runs. Neither set-up for fishing. I am not concerned about one being too big, only too small.

Here is the can of worms. I mean no disrespect. What is the advantage to a sit on top? The only one I can think of is easier exit, believe me though, if I go over, I'll get out. I was sold on a sit in until I saw the new SOT from heritage with the big flat area in back designed perfectly for a cooler, but was thinking good spot for the dog while hunting. Now I am wavering.

Also, who has a kayak that they love, or one that I should at least check out before I decide? Any recommendations on dealers? I have been to KTP and also to Mountain Road in Raymond. I was really impressed with KTP at all, but then again I never am. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I got to get out of my float tube.

Most of the frequent posters in this forum have moved on.I can only give you my opinion.I also have a Drifter SOT.I also have a small sik.For me the SOT is the way to go.Easier enrty and exit.Easier to self-rescue if I flip.I'm able to move around better.Landing and handling fish is better.I have more room to fly cast .Better areas to mount stuff.i.e.Fishfinder ,GPS,rod holders,Milkcrates.I dont need a bilge pump or extra flotation.So for me I lke the sot.I know a few guys who fish in sik's and they like them also,so try out both.When you demo them flip both over in the water and try to simulate a self rescue.I can do it in my Drifter not in my sik.Lefty

Thanks for the tips guys, I just emailed seacoast to see if they have fishing models for rent. If they do I am thinking of renting one for the day this weekend and do a little fishing in the harbor. If I like it, maybe I'll just take it home.

If they don't have the Angler edition to rent.....see if they have the standard drifter....same hull just without rod hoders & a slight difference in the cockpit config.

OK, I talked to someone this weekend (and went up to look at the Kayak you guys recommended)... do you get wet sitting in a SOT? the guy told me that you are almost always sitting in water? And that he recommended a wet suit. Was he just trying to sell me one? He also told me that you get very wet in a sit-in also. I have been in sit-ins before and didn't get wet at all. I don't feel like fishing in a wet suit all spring and fall, not to mention the time spent hunting in December (brrrrr).

I have a Loon 138 SIK. This is my 6th year with it. (Most folks opt for SOT for fishing.)

Found my "steal" on an Uncle Henrys ad.

Love the large cockpit and the stability.

I'm always dry and warm as the water gets a bit "chilly" in Maine. I use it April thru November.

I installed rod holder, extra shock cord, paddle clips and sometimes use a fish finder.

I use in tidal rivers for stripahs, on lakes and ponds. Sometimes load it up for a camping trip on an island. Plenty of dry storage.

Disadvantages? I'm a passive yakker. I DON'T venture into areas that have crashing surf or waves so I'm sure I'm missing some big fish off the rocks along our coast.

One kayak does not do it all. You also need to consider hunting. Kool!

Hope this post was of some help.

Good luck to ya. http://www.unclehenrys.com/ http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/