• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bcyr22

heading down to CT next week

6 posts in this topic

yea im heading down to CT in a week and im wondering if its as hot as it is up here in mass.

post em!

Where are you heading? CT has a lot of coastline. Surfcast, yak, boat? Plugs, bait?

Gimmy sumthin...

im heading down to hartford for a couple days to visit family

well im not sure what im going to be using yet but once i find out whats the stuff to use down there thats what ill use

OK. From Hartford you can access two areas via highway in short timeframes.

If you take 91 South to 95 South you can hit the West Haven Sandbar. I don't fish it very much, but I read about lots of blues and some decent stripers. Chunk bait (bunker, mackeral, squid) and artificials (storm, kastmasters, etc)

If you take 91 South to Route 9 South, you end up in Old Saybrook. Easiest spot to access is the DEP pier in Old Lyme. If it's low tide, bring waders and wade out to cast into the CT River channel as bass and blues tend to hang in the drop-off. If it's high tide you can fish from the pier. Worms, chunk, tins, storms work. There are also lots of other spots in Old Saybrook, which I would pick if I were you.

River's End Bait and Tackle is in Old Saybrook, is awesome, and the owner Pat Abate, is a true sharpie in the same league with Frank D and Ron Arra. Here's a link to their site: River's End

They will give you a few spots to try, and I'd suggest taking their advice on bait. B)

Good luck

Latest On the Water report for Connecticut:

Bob Sampson

Weather, mainly strong winds, was a major negative factor influencing the angling this past week. However, since the winds have died, reports are beginning to come in, but few have been really glowing. In a word, fishing, especially for fluke, has been and continues to be “spotty.” Bass fishing is better, with most shops continuing to report a pretty steady stream of keepers to 20-pound fish, with occasional bruisers. Right now the middle portion of the Connecticut coast from Guilford to Madison is apparently producing consistent catches of large fish, same thing for the south shore area of Rhode Island.

Thomcat Pelletier of Quaker Lane Bait and Tackle, North Kingstown told us the poor weather has been making fishing, especially for fluke, difficult. He said that fish are finally being caught consistently from the lower end of Narragansett Bay and around the Jamestown Bridge. However, the best catches, when you can get on the water, are coming from between Green Hill and Charlestown. On Monday, a 9.2-pound doormat came in from the Jamestown area near Austin Hollow.

The stripers are holding up well. Steve McKenna from the shop recently canceled a striper fishing trip to Block Island because fishing has been so good locally. Captain Jim White from White Ghost Charters is still knocking them dead up in the bay on flies and light tackle. No monsters, but consistent catches of decent bass and blues.

There were a couple of 8-pound weakfish caught this week, one from the Warwick Light and the other near Buttonwood up inside the bay. These fish were caught accidentally by anglers casting for stripers. It happens that other weakfish reports have come in from areas to the west, including New Haven, Falkner Island and Norwalk. All of the catches were about the same size, eight pounds.

Peter at Saltwater Edge, Newport reported that lots of good stuff has been going on in his area. Striper fishing is still pretty good and mostly nocturnal. Blue and white Danny Plugs and eels if you can keep them away from the blues have been the ticket lately. Peter himself caught a 30-pounder about a week ago from the rocks out front of Newport. The fish have been coming a little tougher lately because they are keyed in on some small baits. Peter said the fish are hitting short, so teasers will help your cause under these difficult conditions. He said he couldn’t tell exactly what the fish were feeding on, but it was very small, possibly those no-see-ums that swarm and screw things up throughout the area this time of year. No-see-ums, at least the ones I’ve seen, are some sort of isopod, crab or lobster larvae. Bass and other fish actually filter-feed on them, making it difficult to get the fish to hit much of anything until they disappear, usually in a week to 10 days.

I ran into tough fishing Tuesday evening myself off Fishers Island, which had been red-hot until I got out on the water. We saw some fish lazing around on the surface, like they do when filter-feeding on the invisible stuff, and only had a couple of hits from smaller bass. A week back my buddies killed them in the same areas we fished, but Tuesday evening it was like a dead zone, very little action and tons of weeds in the water. It seemed like those fish may have moved on, or maybe I’m losing my touch. Either way, it was a big disappointment for me because I’ve been homebound for nearly a month with Lyme Disease. On top of that, I had a reaction to sunlight from the doxycycline that is prescribed to cure it. The cure caused me more discomfort than the disease when I went in the sunlight. Now I know what those damn vampires feel like when they burn up in the sci-fi movies. Any of you who have this disease, heed the warning on the drug bottle and fish at night because it’s no fun when your skin starts burning off your body at the slightest exposure to bright sunlight. Even sunblock 48 was not enough to save me from extreme discomfort and a month of lost daylight fishing time.

Some bonito have been sighted but not landed yet. This is a tad early for the tunoids to be showing up, but early showings of any species are often indicators of strong runs to follow.

Peter noted that the water temperatures have been ranging from 62 to 65 degrees in the mornings when they like to read the gauge.

Captain Amber Dangelo, daughter of Captain Andy of Maridee Bait and Tackle and charter boat operation out of Narragansett, RI, said that swimmers are literally swimming with bass off Scarborough Beach and Narragansett during the day. After dark, anglers like Steve from Quaker Lane move in and whack them with eels, plugs and soft plastics. Fishing has picked up around Pt. Judith over the past week, and local anglers are doing well off the docks up inside the harbor. There have been no real big monsters lately, but shore-based fishermen are generally doing well on schoolies, with an occasional 20-pound-class keeper in the mix. The best fish are taking eels and clam bellies fished off the docks after nightfall during the ebb tide.

Her dad is still doing pretty well off Block Island, where he caught four schoolie bluefins and some blue sharks earlier this week. No makos yet. Captain Andy has been consistently taking 30- and 40-pound stripers every day with his customers from the waters around Block Island.

Fluke fishing has been poor from the shore, but boats are doing well out in 30 to 40 feet off Five Cottages and Matunuck Beach. No monsters this week, but anglers are consistently catching fluke of four pounds or better.

Porgies are starting to come in and are taking clams and worms around the jetties and rock piles. But they are definitely not in full force yet; the waters need to get a tad warmer before that will happen.

Ronnie at Breachway Tackle, Charlestown said he’s been doing well in the mornings before coming to the shop. He caught fish to 27 pounds on Wednesday. He hasn’t caught any huge ones so far this season but has been catching fish in the low 30s all along. Live bait and eels are the ticket. Block Island has tons of dogfish but also some bigger bass if you can get an eel through the dogs. Temps are in the low 60s.

There are a lot of mostly small blues, but Ron said that blues up to 12 pounds were chomping up his baits the other morning. Fluke fishing has been best along East Beach near Green Hill off the Flag Poles, with no real doormats reported. The top fish on the leader board this week was only about 4 pounds and change. East winds have made fluking difficult. A few sea bass are being caught up to 4.5 pounds when fluke fishermen drift past rock piles where the bass are holding. Porgies are doing well and lots of big fish have been caught. In some areas the scup are harassing fluke fishermen by stealing their baits before the fluke have a chance to hit.

Bob at Wildwood Outfitters, Wakefield didn’t pick up this week – we’ll reach him next time around.

John Swienton, owner of Twin Maples Tackle out on Block Island, was also out, hopefully catching a 50-pounder. We will talk to him next week, as well.

Captain Don of Captain Don’s Tackle, Route 1, Charlestown, RI reported that Fred Voit and Captain Vin Demario, a charter angler, went out and caught many keeper bass and bigger blues off the Watch Hill Reefs tube-and-worming. Bass fishing has been good off the rocks at Weekapaug after dark, around the top of the tide and for about four hours off the dropping tide.

Fluke fishing is superb with many big fish in the 6-pound-plus range being reported by happy anglers. A couple of older anglers he sees on a daily basis when they come in to buy mummichogs are catching fluke up to 4 pounds inside Quonny Pond nearly every time out. There are also hickory shad and some nice bass up inside the salt pond for anglers to play with from small boats or when it’s too nasty to fish the ocean. Tube-and-worm trolling is producing decent fish, even keepers up in the pond for those who are doing it. Even kayakers are getting in on the tube-and-worm action lately.

Scup are running pretty well, so there are fish around for everyone to catch. Anglers did well on eels off Fishers Island over the weekend. Right now the fishing is great for the average angler who wants to fish the beaches and breachways because even the rookies are taking fish consistently.

Cheryl Fee of Shaffer’s Marina, Mystic said that not many people got out because of the wind over the weekend. The rentals and small boats did pretty well out by Gate’s Island to Stonington, and all came in with nice keepers.

There must only be a few blues around the river because no one was complaining about them getting in the way of fluke or bass fishing. The fishing is good around Mason’s Island, where locals are catching decent bass right up tight to the rocks by trolling tube and worms. Her brother Al caught a 35-incher in the river itself on a Storm Shad the other day while out goofing around. Most of the action has been with tube and worms, more so than eels lately.

Porgies are just getting started, but anglers aren’t having any trouble taking them when they want and sometimes even when they don’t want to see these bait stealers.

Rennie of The Fish Connection, Preston said the Thames has been producing small bluefish and schoolie bass. Buoy 27 has been a popular spot, but fish are being caught pretty much all the way up and down the river as they move in and out with the tides. There’s been nothing of any size, but no one is complaining about the action. No word so far on crabs in the river.

Rennie himself said he fished Barn Island the other day with his grandchildren and caught five stripers up to 24 inches and about 20 harbor blues in the one- to two-pound range. It was great fun fishing action for the kids. I have been seeing anglers in small boats and kayaks who are also going out and fishing around Sandy Point and inside Napatree and doing well on small blues and schoolie bass with flies and soft plastics.

Larger stripers are being caught on a regular basis from the depths of The Race on three-way rigs with jigs or live eels after dark. Anglers have also been doing very well fishing for bass off Bartlett Reef, Hatchet Reef and Black Point after dark. Bluefish are increasing in abundance out in The Race, with the spillover moving inshore where they seem to be pretty much anywhere and everywhere in the Sound and along the beaches. Definitely a banner year for bluefish of all sizes but dominated by the little guys that are only a year or two old.

The mouth of Mystic River and around Barn Island has been good for fluke. One of their regulars fishes this area frequently and has been doing well. No big stuff but anglers are happy for the most part.

Shane at Hillyer’s Bait and Tackle, Waterford told us that fluke fishing is good and improving. Many five-pound-plus fish are being caught in 75 to 100 feet off Black Point, off Isabella Beach, Fishers Island and locally in Two Tree Channel.

Stripers are really good, with bigger fish in The Race, Bartlett Reef and Hatchet Reef. Schoolies are all around the area and not too hard to find when the tide is running. Tuesday morning they weighed in a 55-pounder caught by Mike Briggs of Oxford, CT. He caught his monster in The Race about 1 a.m. on a live eel fished from a three-way rig.

They also had Sean Harrison bring in two monster winter flounder, fish of 3 and 3.48 pounds that he caught from a honey hole of his somewhere around the mouth of the Four Mile River.

Bluefish are all over the place and being caught in good numbers from Pigeon Rip, The Race, Plum Gut and locally at the warmwater Millstone discharge.

Porgies are doing well from Two Tree Channel, Red Bell #6 in the bay and around the rocks off Harkness Park on worms and squid.

“Q” of River’s End, Saybrook said they also saw Mike’s 55-pounder. Black Point has had some decent fluke lately. Anglers are not quite limiting out every time but are doing well on large fish. Craig Andrews, who is the guy who caught two monster fluke, one of 10 pounds, the other of 12 two weekends ago, has even been having a tough time of it out there.

Captain Jerry Morgan of Captain Morgan’s Tackle, Madison said that the wind made things tough. He’s weighed in fluke from 11 to 13 pounds that were caught shallow in along the shore, probably around the Hammonasset Beach area over the past week.

There are lots of bluefish out around the rips, with bird action over the top. All sizes from dinkers up to 14 pounds. After this weekend, with some bunker moving into the area, he expects to see even bigger blues and bass. It looks like those larger bass that were to the west in the Stratford area a week or so ago have moved eastward.

There have also been decent weakfish in the 8-pound class caught from Falkner Island, as well as inshore to the West Haven area.

Bigger bass seem to be coming in from Westbrook to Madison, with bass up to 40 pounds reported from the local reefs and rip lines. Most are being caught on eels after dark. Tube-and-worming has also been producing decent bass.

Chris Fulton, owner of Stratford Bait and Tackle, Stratford said those bigger stripers have left his area since the last report. But they have been replaced by loads of blues in 40 to 60 feet of water. The “B-H” Buoy, Buoy 18 and The Dumping Grounds near Penfield Reef are all loaded with decent bluefish. Fish caught were up to 14 pounds, and he saw blues over 10 pounds caught from the Housatonic River on bunker chunks by the crew that fishes from the shore. Small blues are in along the beaches in Bridgeport and around Stratford, so anglers casting from shore are consistently taking fish, with the oddball fish up to 10 pounds showing up. At least anglers are finally having fun from the shore because until recently it’s been pretty dead.

Bass fishing has been spotty, with mostly smaller bass hitting poppers and soft plastics from the beaches.

Burt from Fisherman’s World, Norwalk said they continue to experience some excellent fishing for bigger bass over around 11-B. Burt, who does some chartering, said he and customers caught 10 bass to 38 inches and bluefish to about 10 pounds by drifting sand worms in 110 feet of water. Burt Cooper, a regular in the shop, caught a 42-pound bass and a blue shark of 225 pounds on a weekend trip to Montauk Point, Long Island. Anthony Incerto caught a 41-inch, 29-pound bass on a chunk. Nick Kansas caught a weakfish of eight pounds while bass fishing with a sand worm.

They still have schools of bunker in the harbor that have bluefish and good-size bass on them. Bigger blues are coming in from the waters out around Sheffield Island, while the bunker school over in Southport is producing big bass.

Fluke fishing is better lately in the Norwalk area, with the channels all holding fish. Outside around Buoy 28 and Buoy 24, fishermen are catching a few more fluke, up to about 5 pounds max so far. The best action from these summer flounder is still across the Sound at Sunken Meadows near the golf course.

A few porgies are just beginning to move into the area and settle in around Buoy 28.

The best bets this week appear to be fluke fishing in the waters from Green Hill to Charleston Beach, bass around the breachways and rock piles along the entire south shore, bass around Block Island (but watch out for the dogfish) and bigger stripers in The Race, Bartlett Reef, and west to Madison. It looks like the large bass are on the move and may well reach the eastern end of the Sound within the next week or 10 days.

thanks alot guys! now hope fully ill catch something