• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieA

Weekapaug

22 posts in this topic

Scanned the shoreline yesterday (about 4:00pm) I saw some black ducks and some bait coming out of the water in Weekapaug.

From about 4:30-8:00pm I caught 3 blues and 6 bass.

25"/10# bass on 6" storm

30"/8# blue of 5" storm

30"/11# bass on 6" storm

30"/8.5# blue on 6" storm

31"/10# blue on 6" storm

31"/11# bass on 6" storm

32"/12# bass on 5" storm

35"/14# bass on 5" storm

44"/19.5# bass on 5" storm

What a fish the 19#er was. Hit the storm about 15 yards from the rocks and immediately heading to deeper water. Pulled line so fast I thought it was a blue. As I worked her back in, she saw the end of the water and bolted for Block. She stripped at least 1/2 my line. Worked her back, and worked her through a maze of rocks and landed her with a breaker. I released everthing. The thought of climbing back to the car with a 19# fish :ph34r:

Bite died at 8:00pm.

Went back for sunrise, caught 3 bass and 2 blues but they were all dinks in the 25" range. Bait was not thick, and they were hitting the 9" sluggos with 3/4oz jig, but the friggin blues emptied my supply.

Lots of mullet in the water, lots of weed too. They wouldn't hit plugs or tins, just rubber.

PS - wear your waders and Korkers. The onshore wind has kicked up the surf and the slime of the rocks is thick.

You will be getting wet if you want decent fish.

wow charlie sounds like its picking up some i'm gonna head down tonight around 1100 can only hope for some good fishing i'll keep ya all posted and good luck all

Def a racer. When I saw the length I got real excited only to be a little let down when I saw the wieght on the Boca.

Made up for it tonight though. 9 fish 15#-19#, 3 over 20# all on 9" sluggos.

Lost the best one though, it straightened my hook. That one was going to be over 30#.

Lots of supernice fish around.

I go fishing to get away from :ph34r: :ph34r:

9" Sluggos + RI + lots of whitewater + tons of mullet in the water= lots of keepers

All of SoCo has nice fish right now.

The blues chewed up most of my storms that I have been stocking up on. So I ordered 15 packs and they changed them a little I hope it doesn't mess up the fish they now have red mouths and a black dot. Also I've seen the new panter martin spreaders they have them loaded up with 4" baby striper too funny they call them mullet.

Boy Charlie that was some good day of fishing on the 23rd!

Be careful out on those wet rocks. I take the lazy man's way to fish these days and stay safe and dry on the beach but I am not having those type of catches either. :ph34r:

Hearing about good days like that entice me to take chances again and hit those slime covered rocky areas.

I would not be able to get the amount of pictures or video that the safe dry beach allows! :ph34r:

If I want that 50#er I am going to have to take more chances to get it! :(

Korkers will keep you on your feet, but being drenched by the surf might have a negative impact on your video equipment. :ph34r:

My wife says she should just buy me a wetsuit as I come home soaked everytime. I tell her I'd just look like a fat seal and be great white food in moments. :ph34r:

I thought about taking a pic the other night, but by the time I got to my car (where my camera stays dry), I decided a pic of a dead fish next to a tape measure was hardly worth the time or effort.

Kudos to your videography.

What's up Charlie, I see you're at it again down in SoCo :ph34r: Thanks for the report. I haven't been out as much as I'd like this year, but I have made sure to free up some time to fish since the beginning of Sept. and it has been paying off nicely. I've had a couple good fluke outings and the bass fishing is steadily getting better.

I can confirm that SoCo is still on fire as of the past weekend. Me and my buddy fished one of the breachways from 10pm-3am Friday/Sat and I had my best night in a couple of years, the kind of night you imagine in the 6th hour of a shutout to convince yourself it's all worth it. The weather was perfect for October 1, moderate offshore breeze, 50 degrees and clear. To my amazement it wasn't very crowded (8 people max) and when the big bass moved in around 1am I had the jetty all to myself! That was definitely a first, a little bit eerie but I handled it just fine. My buddy was casting from a rock off to the side of the rip and cleaned up as well. The night started start with big blues at mid-tide, then the bass turned on, then back to blues as the outflow slacked. There were maybe 5 casts all night that didn't yield a fish, non-stop aggressive action. I got 11 blues from 10-15#, and 20 bass, all keepers. I saw a couple of small fish taken but for the most part every fish took line, some had my drag screaming. The night was topped off by a half hour flurry of big, hard hitting bass... I brought in 4 over 39", with my biggest being 45" 34# (weighed on my cheap old scale)... my best in several years. All my fish besides the first few blues were taken on a black/silver mambo minnow on a very slow retrieve with several pauses and pops... the thing looks like it went through a meat grinder. My buddy was using a black darter, Superstrike I think. The best advice I ever got about fishing a rip... if you get a strike and don't hook up, let out some line and work your plug back thru the same area. It works 90% percent of the time and the strikes are vicious... a couple fish nearly took my rod from me.

Personally, I think fall in SoCo is still building to a peak. We saw an even mix of "racers" and fatties, so it still seems early. I mean, um, the fall run is over, go watch some football :ph34r:

WOW, If I wasn't going to Race Point this weekend

I would meet you down there. sounds like the 70's all

over again

Sweet. Fished last night, and fall ain't here yet down here. Very slow with big blues and a few bass around.

Bob, the Race is a great place to spend Columbus Day weekend, I'm sure you'll do fine there. I'm going camping up north for the weekend so I won't have a chance to head back down until the following weekend. I hope Charlie leaves some fish for me :ph34r:

:ph34r: Don't worry. The thought of dragging all those fish back to the car makes tossing them back real easy.

Ever wonder what you'd do with a 50# from there?

I ran the whole coast to Pt Judith on Thursday. No birds, no bait, no blues, no bass. Found some schoolies and shad near Snug Harbor, but all dinks - 15" or so killing peanut bunker.

Beats a skunk.

If I got a 50# there I would wait for the tide to turn and swim it back to the parking lot ;)

Thanks for the report, keep those fish honest....

hiya all fished fd beach friday night on the incoming tide and lots of bass around all shorts we had some good ones hitting from time too time .all in all was a good night catching fish every 3rd cast or so looks like things are finally starting to heat up after all this crummy weather .. we can only hope . black darters seemed to work the best while we were there ..

Nice. Fished it Sunday sun-up. All I could manage was 2 rat blues about 5#. Lot of guys fishing, no one catching.