• Announcements

• eel man

Surfcaster's 2016 Reboot!   09/21/2016

Howdy, folks. I know this is way overdue, and the damage is probably already done, but after weeks of working with the database I've finally wiped out all of the spam posts and topics. This was no easy task, considering there were three-quarters of a million bogus posts and nearly three hundred thousand bogus topics. Once a hacker/spammer network finds a vulnerability, they send out automated programs that basically destroy a database like this. Over the past couple weeks I've migrated all of the good data into a more current, secure platform with the hopes that we can somehow rebuild. New member registration is tightened way up, and a third-party spam monitoring service is in place. I've also invested in an awesome new gallery extension,  allowing members to create, manage, and share image galleries. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any issues. I'm still testing and working out the bugs. Surfcaster's forums were once an amazing resource for everyone to enjoy, and we're hoping it can once again build back up. The main site (non-forums) is pretty banged up, but once the forums are complete my next task is to re-invent that as well. Spread the word. Hope to see a lot of you back! Cheers, Andrew
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lefty

White's Beach 9/25

18 posts in this topic

Arrived at 6am to find 4'breakers crashing the beach.Stark contrast from yesterday.I waited as other yakkers arrived and launched.Familiar faces and unfamiliar ones.Finally taking the plunge Idropped the tube where I lost a good fish yesterday.The rod went off right after setting the reel.Fish headed for the rocks and the huge surge around them.A few hairy moments with the tow and I finally got it under control.36"! Nice!A quick pic from Joe and I headed for the cove where I found fish yesterday.Picked up a half dozen there mostly mid 20"'s with 2 right at 30".Marked a boatload of fish in 20' of water but couldnt get to them.Leadcore would have cleaned up.There where fish right along the rocks but the surge made that a risky situation.Headed to Coolidge point picking up a few small fish on the way.As Joe ,Kit and Dave called it a day I decided to try the half mile paddle to the south side of Kettle Island.Found some birds pickin at shrimp fry and set the tube.Started hitting fish right away 28 to 32" with the best at 35".A steady pick till I ran out of worms.Hit the beach with a good breeze from the south.Good day with the tube 7 or 8 fish in the 30"s one at 36" and a 35".The tube kicked butt today.Didnt see one blitze the whole time out.Lefty

post-47-1127686423_thumb.jpg

Nice picture!!! Great fish!!!

Were you fishing on thr North shore today?

:ph34r:

Great report. I'll share an interesting kayak experience from yesterday (Sunday) . . . I was out off Swampscott, around Little's Point, betw. Phillips Beach and Eiseman Beach. When a fish hits, usually I see a quick twitch on the rod tip, and then the fish really nails it and the fun begins. Yesterday, twice, there was no first twitch -- just a slam right away, and then followed by a couple of short, hard jerks. I'm hooked up, with the drag going out. And then, after about 30 seconds, nothing. Gone. And then I find the worm still on the hook. NOT a seaweed hangup . . . THis happened twice. I can't explain it -- I'm wondering if a big one crashed the tube from the front and was gulping it down and never got to the worm. Does that sound ridiculous? Any other tube'n'wormers ever had that happen?

I've had that happen alot lately.Sat am it happened.Got a big hit in 12' of water.Rod doubled up and started to turn the yak before I grabbed the rod out of the holder.When I got the rod out I knew I was on to a really good fish.Line peelin off the reel well under tow and then nothin! :ph34r: Too sick to my stomach after dropping a good fish to try and figure out what happened.I've thought that the first couple taps prior to a good hookup are the fish tail slapping the bait.Maybe sometimes the fish foul hooks itself with the tail slap.That might explain the line peelin off and the worm return.I've caught a few big fish this year and none have taken line like the one on Sat.Lefty

I think all the bait they have been stuffing in their faces have super charged the fish. I had one hit last monday and just take off right away and peeled line off like crazy I thought the fish would have been at least in the 40's but it was 36-37"

The fish are definately stronger the last couple weeks Zip!Lefty

Good lord fellas...you have described my worst nightmare. Last year I had it happen with what felt like the fish of a lifetime..and cost me 400 in tackle....I had a temper last year when I lost a fish. Now i have learned my lesson. Good thread. later.

-old

Morris I dont use Santini's!I troll Al's tube .Made at Al's bait &tackle in Beverly.Santini makes a good tube Ijust like Al's better.No spinner,a little more weight and I feel better wire and a much better hook.Always in red wine color.I think it just comes down to confidence . Lefty

Santini makes a great tube.It just comes down to personal preference and confidence in the bait.Half the guys I fish with fish Santini's the other half Al's.I dont see one outfishing the other.Lefty

There will be no tying of the tubes Thank you! :ph34r: Lefty

Why do yo say that? Just wondering, every time I've been there he's been kool with me. Did you get some attitude? It must blow to work in a bait shop when everyone coming in is going fishing.

I agree He is an A-hole. I've been in there a few times and he has an FU attitude.

The first time I went in there it was a few minutes past 6:00 and every place was closed or out of herring. Steve was out front taking in the totes and coolers, I asked him if he had any herring and he yelled "were closed!!" I asked if they had any? He said "yes but there closed" I started giving him a sob story saying just throw a couple in my bucket (in my hand) and he cut me off screaming "THEY ARE CLOSED" I could understand a little but he was a real prick about it.

Then the next time I needed some herrring and was charging like 2 for a buck, I told him I needed a bucket and asked for a volume discount. He game me a F-U look said go to Gloucester turned and walked out back. I went and got a bucket from another shop for like 15 bucks.

I was in there 3 times and each time I walked out empty handed and recieved tons of attitude. I've been in bait and tackle shops all over and stop in everyone I see just to check them out and usually end up buying something and have never found any that have given me anything but friendly service attitude free.

I've given AL's the benifit of the doubt and tried but I have never had that kind of service attitude and have heard it from several people.